MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

4 recommendations

andyross

MVM

Vizio plans to use future generation TVs for targeted ad serving

quote:
Vizio has plans to work with a total of nine businesses for the purpose of serving targeted ads to households with the help of smart TVs. The group of nine companies is mainly comprised of TV networks such as NBCUniversal and CBS, both owned by Comcast, and AT&T's advertising firm Xandr.
»www.techspot.com/news/79 ··· -ad.html

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

8 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

I was wondering how long it would take before the evil marketers got a hold of this very precious screen space.

I like the use of the word "targeted" as if that makes it better.

I've noticed that I am seeing TiVo starting to put up advertising when I watch shows I have recorded.

It's enough to make me start reading books again....

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

7 recommendations

Blackbird to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
It's all in the fine tradition of modern business: leave no marketing opportunity or technology unexploited.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

4 recommendations

Kearnstd to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
The question will come is when do they disallow use of the TV until you setup networking, That is when its time to grab the last of a previous generation TV set.

I mean as long as I own game consoles I will not see a need to enable smart features on a TV. I am pretty sure my PS4 will run any of those features better than a TV anyway and less risk of a loss of support in a year when a new TV comes out. I mean I think Sony is still patching the PS3.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

5 recommendations

HELLFIRE to andyross

MVM

to andyross
quote:
Inscape is a company to watch as they develop an open standard for TV manufacturers. Their purpose is to collect as much smart TV data as possible for advertising purposes.
said by Kearnstd:

The question will come is when do they disallow use of the TV until you setup networking,

Two words : "F**K NO!" I can't make it any shorter than that...

Regards
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

6 recommendations

tlbepson to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
andyross...

I know what make of TV I'm NOT going to buy...'-}}

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

The question will come is when do they disallow use of the TV until you setup networking, That is when its time to grab the last of a previous generation TV set.

just set it up to a dead end router that is loopback

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

5 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

just set it up to a dead end router that is loopback

I have a LG DVD/Bluray player that likes to phone home with the titles of the discs I watch. It also contains a DLNA client that I like to use with my media server (J River).

I configured my DHCP serve (via host reservations) to assign the DVD/Bluray player an IP in the range that I block at my network firewall, so the player cannot get out to the Internet to phone home, but it can still "see" the media server for DLNA stuff.

But I have to ask... how long before the Vizio TV needs Internet access in order to function properly?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 recommendations

Anonymous_

Premium Member

setup a fake server