Search similar:

uniqs
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

2 recommendations

InternetJeff

[WIN10] Best to hold off on Win10 1903 for now

As usual, caution is advised regarding the latest Windows 10.
quote:
The dozen (or so) acknowledged reasons to avoid Version 1903

Why don’t I recommend upgrading to 1903 now? O ye of short memory.

Microsoft has a horrible record when it comes to new versions of Windows. And make no mistake, Win10 1903 is a completely new version that will replace just about every Windows program file.

Microsoft’s inability to ship stable new versions is a genetic and predictable flaw. Back in the Steampunk days of Win7 and earlier, the general advice was to “wait for Service Pack 1.” Unfortunately, there’s no analog with Win10, which ships new versions as substitutes for service packs. But the wait-and-see warnings ring just as true now as they did in Victorian Windows days.
»www.askwoody.com/askwood ··· 903-yet/

OldNavyGuy
join:2018-07-24
Newberg, OR

9 recommendations

OldNavyGuy

I'm running 1903 with no issues so far.

YMMV
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

3 recommendations

lawsoncl

said by OldNavyGuy:

I'm running 1903 with no issues so far.

YMMV

Congratulations? While I find Woody to be a bit doom and gloom, I agree with his caution diving into the latest feature releases simply because MS tends to break things with every feature release.

We're still trying to resolve odd issues with 1809, including stupid things like IE not being able to automatically locate the webproxy, RSAT disappearing when feature updates are installed, RSAT becoming much more difficult to get installed, feature updates reinstal crap like xbox that you just got done removing, odd conflicts with McAfee products, etc.

Tell me again why I want to dive straight into the next feature update, aside from bragging rights?

OldNavyGuy
Newberg, OR

6 recommendations

OldNavyGuy

Depends on how much "risk" you're willing to accept.

I can roll back at anytime, since disk images last longer than the built-in 10-day roll back.

I'm doing one machine at a time.

1809 ran fine as well.

I've never experienced 99% of the Windows 10 issues people complain about.

No congrats needed.
lmacmil
join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

said by OldNavyGuy:

I'm doing one machine at a time.

1809 ran fine as well.

I have not had issues with previous upgrades either. I recently acquired an old Lenovo Thinkcentre M92p and it was running 1709. It updated itself to 1803 first and then did 1903. Seems fine so far. My ThinkPad just got the update 3 days ago. Did have a BSOD soon afterwards but has been ok since. So far my home-built Asus B150M/Pentium G4500 has not received the update but I'm waiting for it somewhat impatiently.

shockwaverid
join:2006-04-20
Radcliff, KY

shockwaverid to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
yeah, I got 4 PC to upgrade and none have been push upgraded yet and I plan on waiting for at least 2 to 3 more patch Tuesdays myself.

»docs.microsoft.com/en-us ··· -10-1903

OldNavyGuy
Newberg, OR

OldNavyGuy

You won't see push upgrade for a little while.

Microsoft just announced yesterday that 1903 is available to all "seekers" through Windows Update, by using Check for updates.

broknsymetry
Futue Te Ipsum
Premium Member
join:2003-06-27
THE VOID

broknsymetry

Premium Member

Just did a "Check for updates" and got 2019-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4503327).

Will try again after this update...

OldNavyGuy
Newberg, OR

OldNavyGuy

Event though it's now available, there are still some update blocks in place...

»www.ghacks.net/2019/06/0 ··· seekers/

broknsymetry
Futue Te Ipsum
Premium Member
THE VOID

2 recommendations

broknsymetry

Premium Member

Apparently blocked by my bluetooth driver.
Tyreman
join:2002-10-08
Cambridge, ON

1 edit

Tyreman to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
I've had it on for awhile now and only had one issue and that was my power settings processor wasn't going from low to high on demand
was an easy fix
other than that all is good
so I would say it depends, up to the individual or whatever
edit: did new 1903 cumulative this am still okay

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

3 recommendations

maartena to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

I have been running 1903 without issues, but generally speaking it's always good to skip the 1.0 version of anything, and at least wait till the 1.01 patch that fixes the most critical bugs.
maartena

maartena to OldNavyGuy

Premium Member

to OldNavyGuy
said by OldNavyGuy:

You won't see push upgrade for a little while.

From what I gather, "forced" upgrades happen only after 18 months of the previous release, e.g. 1803 will be forced in November 2019, 1809 in May 2020, and 1903 not till November 2020 or so. I believe if you are running 1703 or 1709 right now, you are getting nag screens from Microsoft to upgrade, so it is not quite "forced", but yeah.... they getting pushy.

Mark12547
Premium Member
join:2015-10-06
Salem, OR
Cisco DPC3941

Mark12547 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
I have gotten in the habit of when receiving a major upgrade (got 1903 just a couple days ago), immediately after the upgrade is installed to go after current maintenance against it (and there were four "quality updates" that were installed just after the upgrade).

So far, other than re-tweaking power settings, I haven't noticed any issues with it.

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
2 out of 3 with no issues, majority of people have no complaints.
About to start the 3rd one now. An ancient HP workstation.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 recommendation

jbob to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
I have a new build that was on 1809(fresh install) that I let upgrade to 1903 via the Media Creation Tool and updating the current load. So far no issues. But since I am still building that system I might decide to wipe everything (again) and install 1903 from scratch vs the upgrade route.

I have installed 1903 on 3 other systems from scratch. I still have 2 more that need to be upgraded from 1809 but in no hurry at this point.

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
I installed 1903 yesterday, and the only problem has been that the upgrade changed some of my settings. I just changed then back to what I want, so there!

Running fine, so far.

Freddy

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

said by Freddy:

I installed 1903 yesterday, and the only problem has been that the upgrade changed some of my settings. I just changed then back to what I want, so there!

Running fine, so far.

Freddy

Ditto.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

3 recommendations

urbanriot to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

Of course, post-Gates Microsoft has a history of botched updates and their track record has been absolutely horrendous since Windows 10, with them wiping out the files of users or bricking computers in some cases.

I keep all of my Windows 10 systems at the oldest version that's still supported with updates as there's nothing new added that does anything practical. Even the new update options aren't as good as what we had in Windows 7. Wooo the new default light theme. Some of the settings are boxes offer more settings, like the ones that you find in control panel (but still worse than control panel).

I'm happy they finally let you uninstall crap like Xbox, Mail, etc., which is appropriate for business computers.

Ignorant people who think they can just roll back have never encountered the known wininit.exe bug or a bricked system. They only 'roll back' that's reliable is ghosting the system to a another drive or image file.

With that being said I did a fresh install of 1903 the other day and it went okay, noticed a few minor differences but nothing that would lead me to say, "Great job Microsoft, you've produced an operating system that's almost as good as Windows 7!" Maybe with Windows 11...
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

3 recommendations

InternetJeff

said by urbanriot:

Maybe with Windows 11...

LOL. I think it's up to Windows 16 now. Or is it Windows 10, Service Patch 6?

This version of Windows (10) has more major patches than any previous version.

broknsymetry
Futue Te Ipsum
Premium Member
THE VOID

2 recommendations

broknsymetry

Premium Member

Just noticed this in my WU settings:

Might try installing mañana.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

I have been running 1903 without issues, but generally speaking it's always good to skip the 1.0 version of anything, and at least wait till the 1.01 patch that fixes the most critical bugs.

1902 previous versions still makes you uneasy huh?

1903 is running fine for me too.
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody

1903 ok here too on 3 machines

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to lawsoncl

to lawsoncl
said by lawsoncl:

Tell me again why I want to dive straight into the next feature update, aside from bragging rights?

For example, it might just fix all the issues with the previous version...

shockwaverid
join:2006-04-20
Radcliff, KY

1 edit

shockwaverid to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
I upgraded by samsung notebook pro 9 to 1903 last night with no issues. Alot of new device drivers and everything looks fine... 1 down 3 to go. This gives me hope that there will be no issues on the other 3. I removed the external usb and SD cards from it first. And closed out everything that was running in the background.

EDIT: Number 2 of 4 done today. Got an error message during end of first install attempt. Restarted PC and started update again and it completed successfully.
coxhaus
join:2006-03-04
Elgin, TX

coxhaus to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
I have 2 Dell PCs installed with 1903. One was upgraded and one was installed from scratch. They both seem to be running fine. I have about 14 to go at my daughter's place of business.

george927
my current approval rating- 32%
join:2016-08-09

george927 to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
Might be a one off- But in upgrading 2 laptops and 1 desktop we were seeing all sorts of glitches. On the desktop MS Access repeatedly crashed about 30 seconds after launch. On 1 laptop Outlook 2013 threw errors. The other laptop seemed fine, but started random reboots.

All machines were just re-cloned to saved drive images taken prior to updates and are running fine again- Updates disabled again for a couple weeks until patches to patches come out. Ridiculous.

broknsymetry
Futue Te Ipsum
Premium Member
THE VOID

broknsymetry to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
Started download/install at 12:01am and finished at 6:19am.

Changed my usual customizations, but easily corrected.

For some reason it deleted my Rainmeter skins and settings.
I now have them back and running.

All else seems fine (so far).

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to OldNavyGuy

Premium Member

to OldNavyGuy
Same here.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
As much as it is likely sounding like a broken record at this point, yet another non-event update on my systems. In fact my primary laptop I usually do these updates remotely from work. Initiated the necessary reboot, logged back in probably 15-20 minutes later and all was working as intended.