spc
Search similar:

uniqs
missinformed
join:2019-07-01
Estero, FL

1 recommendation

missinformed

New to site, new to VOIP....please excuse the "dummy"...

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone might take a few minutes to help me with a question that I have regarding some calls I have been seeing on my Verizon phone bill ( I have multiple lines). I have called Verizon many,many times and it seems there is no one working there that knows what VOLTE or VOIP is. I know that they are calls made over the internet but nothing more beyond that.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help. Below is what I am seeing:
(My apologies, I'm sure this goes without saying but, you'd be amazed at what I have been through trying to find answers to
this...anyway..I have put x's in place of the phone numbers for privacy....)

Some of the calls are incoming, some are outgoing. Mostly different numbers.

SIP:+1239xxxxxxx0x3brn=1xxxxxx@icscf1.fl08.volte.vzims.com:50600x3btransport=udp0x3buser=phone

Thanks again to anyone that may be able to explain to me what this might be direct me in the right direction.

Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 edit

4 recommendations

Stewart

Re: New to site, new to VOIP....please excuse the "dummy"...

I'm not a VZW customer and don't know why you're seeing those; there is likely a bug in some back-end system that is failing to properly reformat some calls for your CDRs (Call Detail Records).

The SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) URIs (Uniform Resource Identifiers) evidently passed through a system that escaped the semicolon characters with their hexadecimal equivalent (0x3b), so the actual URI was
SIP:+1239xxxxxxx;rn=1xxxxxx@icscf1.fl08.volte.vzims.com:5060;transport=udp;user=phone

The base URI is of the form user@domain (like an email address); the user=phone tag indicates that the 'user' field (to the left of the @) is a phone number; transport=udp indicates that the request was made with a UDP (User Datagram Protocol) packet.

The + indicates that the number is in E.164 (international) format, 1 is the country code for North America and 239 is an area code in southwest Florida. The rn (routing number) tag is in a 'network specific' format. When a number is ported to another carrier, this field instructs the receiving system how to properly route the call onward. In this case, I presume that the sending system already looked up the LRN (location routing number) and mapped that to something appropriate for their own network. You can view LRN information for a number at »apeiron.io/lrn .

Given your lack of success with lower levels of support, consider contacting VZ's executive resolution team. This article »lifehacker.com/how-to-co ··· 63732113 has some good ideas for escalation in general and includes some VZ specific information. I would ignore the technical details and just tell them that your bill contains garbage text that makes it difficult to determine the called and calling numbers.

If this is a personal account (family plan), stress that it's important for you to know that your kids aren't making or receiving inappropriate calls and they should make the bills easily readable. If for business, it's important for you to audit the bill to assign costs to the proper departments.

If these bogus entries correspond to phone calls that are not yours, say that you are concerned that the calls may be malicious and you don't want to be involved in any resulting investigation.

If any of these calls are international or to premium numbers, confirm that you weren't charged for calls you didn't make -- if you were, that should be your main complaint.

Good luck.
missinformed
join:2019-07-01
Estero, FL

1 recommendation

missinformed

Thank you SO MUCH!!! You’ve been SOOO helpful! You’ve given me more information than I have been given from anyone in months! I have a call into the resolution team as you suggested and hopefully they are able to provide additional information. However, I was hoping you might be willing to assist me a little further with what’s probably more really dumb questions.

As far as I know, none of our numbers should be ported to another carrier. That being said... that doesn’t mean that my husband or one of my children haven’t done so.. for whatever reason that people do these things. I referenced the LRN information as you suggested but from what I can tell, it doesn’t provide much information:

"alt_lerg_carrier_name": null,
"alt_spid": " ",
"alt_spid_carrier_name": " ",
"alt_spid_category": " ",
"as_of_date": "2019-07-02",
"city": "NAPLES",
"lata": "93902",
"lrn": " ",
"ported_on_date": null,
"porting_status": "NO",
"primary_lerg_carrier_name": "CELLCO PARTNERSHIP DBA VERIZON WIRELESS - FL",
"primary_spid": "6502",
"primary_spid_carrier_name": " ",
"primary_spid_category": "WIRELESS",
"state": "FL"
}

Are there any other ways of identifying the carrier or any other specific information about this? Again, pardon my stupidity..but if I wanted to dial the number assigned to this phone on my line using the voipe line.. how would I go about doing so? Is it just the “user at domain”? And do I need special equipment or a certain app to be able to do this?

Again, thank you so much for helping me. I sincerely appreciate your kindness.

Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 recommendation

Stewart to missinformed

to missinformed
The LRN data you are seeing is normal for a number that has never been ported.

Without some serious hacking, I doubt that you could connect to that URI via VoIP. For starters, the domain name doesn't resolve in public DNS. Even if you found the right proxy, some authentication hurdles lie ahead.

If you know someone with »www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· ne-talk/ , capturing traffic from their desk phone would be a good start.
PX Eliezer0
join:2017-01-15
Ho Ho Kus, NJ

4 recommendations

PX Eliezer0 to missinformed

to missinformed
said by missinformed:

As far as I know, none of our numbers should be ported to another carrier. That being said... that doesn’t mean that my husband or one of my children haven’t done so.. for whatever reason that people do these things.

Your words are confusing, when you say "none of our numbers should be ported to another carrier", I assume you mean "as far as I know none of our numbers have been ported to another carrier".

You can look up the current carriers for your (USA) numbers here, there are a reasonable number of free lookups:
»freecarrierlookup.com/

If you have confusion about company names, post here.

For example, Bellsouth Mobility is now ATT Wireless, Cingular is also ATT Wireless, Cellco Partnership is Verizon Wireless, Omnipoint is T-Mobile, etc.

-----

When talking to AT&T or Verizon even at the "executive" level, assume that they are NOT that smart.

You may well know more than they do.

Depressing but true.
said by missinformed:

That being said... that doesn’t mean that my husband or one of my children haven’t done so.. for whatever reason that people do these things.

Sorry to hear that there seems to be a problem with communication, so to speak.
vetabug
join:2019-10-04
Lahaina, HI

vetabug to missinformed

to missinformed
Hi there, I miraculously discovered your post asking about the strange way contacts are appearing in the call log on phone lines of yours. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Do you know whether the phones affected by this are in fact phones that are connected to VOIP numbers or are being forwarded some how? I have the same issues with one of my phone lines and I'm stumped!

Anoncce08
@76.24.36.x

1 recommendation

Anoncce08 to missinformed

Anon

to missinformed
1978466@icscf1.nee29.volte.vzims.com:50600x3btransport=udp0x3b

Is there a phone number in this

KA0OUV
Premium Member
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

2 recommendations

KA0OUV

Premium Member

I suspect you are missing the first part of the line:

SIP:+1239xxxxxxx0x3brn=1xxxxxx@]

(This is from the original example in this thread.)

You are missing this part:
SIP:+1239xxxxxxx0x3brn=

in your example. That is the part with the phone number in it, in e.164 format.

I am going to go out on a limb here: Verizon is using VoLTE in some transactions. Pure SIP, and all they have is a SIP CDR to document the call transaction. And their billing system is not correctly handling the call record, as it is not formatted like their backend systems are used to handling and parsing a phone number from. So they error on the side of caution and print the entire string on the bill. It looks from your query like they still have some parsing and formatting to get right on the billing system.