spc
Search similar:

uniqs
OverlordQ
join:2002-07-03
Pleasant Valley, NY

1 recommendation

OverlordQ

So, does anyone else have me beat on worse pricing?

This is ridiculous. Just waiting on Verizon to finish laying their fiber.

»i.imgur.com/phHqXgD.png
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

I'm not surprised to say the least. Cox's internet prices overall are on the expensive side. However if Verizon is indeed bringing fiber to your area. Just be thankful for that. As it will drive pricing down, and you will have a fiber option. A lot of us, are wishing for that day to come.
OverlordQ
Pleasant Valley, NY
Motorola MB8600

OverlordQ

Verizon is dragging their feet on our MDU saying that the CO is 'full' or something, everybody around us has FiOS already so if the prices were going to drop, I'd have expected it by now.

They'll give new customers this plan for $59.99/mo, so 55% upcharge is highway robbery.
nondo
join:2018-07-25

nondo

You are on grandfathered premier. Isn't preferred 150 only $84/month?

You can drop down to essentials 30. In 1-2 days the website will ask if you want the next tier for $10 more.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

said by nondo:

You are on grandfathered premier. Isn't preferred 150 only $84/month?

A friend of mine recently told me that his grandfathered Premier got bumped to 200Mbps, so there's still value in having that plan. Though my recommendation would still be to drop back to Preferred, even if it's still at 100Mbps in that area.
nondo

nondo

Officially or just overprovisioned? If the latter, Cox gave did the same for me. Premier was sold as 150 but Cox overprovisioned to 235Mbps average.

AFAIK, Cox wants to throw everyone off grandfathered plans that aren't numbered by speed. i.e. Preferred is bad but Preferred 150 would be okay.
dantell
join:2018-09-06

dantell to OverlordQ

to OverlordQ
I was on this same plan. Grandfathered 150 with an extra discount down to $67 for two years. It just expired and it went up to $97. I called in, even the rep thought it was ridiculous. She offered me 100Mbps for $76, then like 3 days later i got an email saying my 100Mbps plan was just bumped to 150Mbps.
Maltz
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz to nondo

to nondo
Overprovisioning, in every case I've seen, is about 20%. My Premier 150Mbps plan could hit about 180MBps on a good day. When I bumped up to Ultimate for a while, I could hit 360Mbps, and now that I'm back on 100Mbps Preferred, I can hit about 120Mbps. (I've not been bumped to 150 yet, apparently, last I checked.)

So if you're getting ~235, I'd say you're probably at 200Mbps, overprovisioned to 240.
nondo

nondo

I was on Premier that very clearly stated 150Mbps and only 150Mbps. With an 8x4 modem I hit 235Mbps average the entire time I was on that plan. I dumped the plan only because of 1TB caps.
dtv757
join:2008-09-20
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dtv757 to OverlordQ

to OverlordQ
$93 for 150/10 speed is insane

Cox is raping customers

When fios comes u will have good pricing:
100/100 - $40
300/300 $60
Gig/gig $80
Maltz
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz to nondo

to nondo
said by nondo:

I was on Premier that very clearly stated 150Mbps and only 150Mbps. With an 8x4 modem I hit 235Mbps average the entire time I was on that plan. I dumped the plan only because of 1TB caps.

Was that back when they did the PowerBoost thing instead of over-provisioning maybe? That was (as I understood it) completely uncapped speed for a few seconds before they brought you back down to your plan speed, so short burst traffic like web pages would be really fast. I've seen a speed tests over-report by quite a bit under that setup, but I'm pretty confident that the current system over-provisions by 20%. A 57% over-provision seems too high to be credible, so I'd guess it was either PowerBoost or some kind of mismeasurement by the speed test site.

But to answer your original question, which I forgot to answer before, he said he got an email saying that he'd been bumped from 150Mbps to 200, so that's before the over-provisioning. This was just a couple of weeks ago, so it's part of this Summer's round of speed boosts.
screenname
join:2004-08-12
Irvine, CA

screenname to OverlordQ

to OverlordQ
Do they still allow family member to assume account and treat it as a new account with new promotion rate?
nondo

nondo to Maltz

to Maltz
Less than 24 months ago. This was not a short burst. This was not just a speed test. This was a sustained 235Mbps available 24/7 over the entire 12 months I had premier 150. Windows updates, torrents (legal), steam downloads, etc reached that speed the entire time. My account was listed as having just Premier. The only thing I can think of is that a rep coded my account as having Ultimate 300 internally and my 8x4 modem couldn't hit those speeds. I have no clue if reps can do that though.

The Cox reps on this site said everyone was getting thrown off grandfathered plans like the old premier. Maybe they changed their minds.
Maltz
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

If it was that recent and that persistent across such diverse applications, yeah, I agree it was probably a provisioning error in your favor. Wish I could draw that card! That is probably getting close to the practical limits of 8 channels, too, even on a low-population node. I actually started having trouble hitting 150Mbps during peak times on my 8x4 a few years ago.
OverlordQ
Pleasant Valley, NY

OverlordQ

Called up the downgrade line and they gave me $10 off and said to call back in Sep when new promotions kick off.

Anonc6e86
@68.11.84.x

Anonc6e86 to dtv757

Anon

to dtv757
said by dtv757:

When fios comes u will have good pricing:
100/100 - $40
300/300 $60
Gig/gig $80

That's "good" pricing? Friends of mine across the pond pay €20 for 100/10. They could get 1000/1000 for €40 if they wanted it.

Only in America would we regard $80 as a "deal" for gigabit.

The difference? My friends have FOUR providers to choose from. I have one. You probably have one as well. Competition works....,
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757

Compared 2 cox who charges $120 or more for D3.1 "gig" it's a "good " deal

I'm note sure international rates

But yes people say our (USA) wireless rates cost more too

Anon88810
@207.29.212.x

1 recommendation

Anon88810

Anon

said by dtv757:

But yes people say our (USA) wireless rates cost more too

With wireless we at least get SOMETHING for our money. Europeans pay a premium for voice calls and rarely have unlimited SMS, that's why apps like WhatsApp are so popular across the pond. So, yeah, we pay more, but we get to use our phones without thinking about it in a way they don't. We also have a more robust LTE network than most EU countries, though they do beat us on total area covered, thanks to build out mandates.

With wireline Internet we get nothing special for the premium we pay. In fact, we get less, in the form of caps (unheard of in the EU) and expiring promotions that necessitate the annual ritual of fighting to get slightly less obnoxious pricing.
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757

Yea data caps suck.

More areas need FTTH !