Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

4 edits

9 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

[Equip] XB7 Technicolor CGM4331COM/Arris TG4482 - Wireless AX(Wi-Fi 6)

Looks like a new xfinity gateway passed through testing. No idea if it's going to be called the XB6 still, probably XB7 or something. Model number seems to be CGM4331COM. The test report mentions that it has 802.11ax. Looks like this unit may only have 4 antennas(4x4 AX on both bands). The current XB6 are a 2x2 N 2.4 GHz + 8x8 AC 5 GHz design(I believe it has a total of 12 antennas as a result).

See -
»fcc.io/G95/4331X

Submitted shortly before it, are two other Technicolor devices called the XHR1-TC and the XHU1-TC. The XHU1-TC might be something like the current XB6 power supply, but upgraded? Its description is listed as "LTE power supply." The XHR1-TC is listed as a Zigbee repeater.

No idea if this will have a fan, but the label does say 12V/4.6A, so 55.2 watts, so I guess it will. The original Technicolor XB6(CGM4140COM) had a 60 watt power supply.

Edit: Changed title to reflect XB7
Edit2: Title updated again to mention Arris version if it arrives.
jpartain89
join:2019-12-09
Mesquite, TX

1 edit

14 recommendations

jpartain89

Re: [Equip] New XB6? Technicolor CGM4331COM - Wireless AX(Wi-Fi 6)

Click for full size
Front/Back
Click for full size
Back
Click for full size
Stats
I can confirm that you are correct. It’s currently being tested in the NorthEast Division, and later this month the rest of the country can test it.

Xfinity xFi Gateway 3rd generation. Available only as a pro install right now as part of a limited market trial. It’ll be launched nationally in 2020.

Test markets:
Greater Chicago region: gigabit, extreme pro and extreme speeds
Greater Boston: Gigabit, Extreme Pro and Blast!
Mountain West area of west Division: Gigabit, Extreme Pro and Blast! Pro

Comes with WiFi 6/802.11ax. 1 GB of ram, capable of up to 5Gpbs throughput. Supports up to 16 SSID’s and 150 client devices.

It’s called the XB7

Comes with Zigbee and Bluetooth to support IOT devices.

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

7 recommendations

CGMason14

Nice to see the 4 port router has returned. What chipset is it running.... hopefully Broadcom. No Ethernet LACP though.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01

7 recommendations

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by CGMason14:

No Ethernet LACP though

Atleast it's got a 2.5gbit port on it.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

7 recommendations

BiggA to CGMason14

Premium Member

to CGMason14
What in the hell does this thing have a 55W power supply for? That's more than a lot of laptops have!
said by CGMason14:

Nice to see the 4 port router has returned. What chipset is it running.... hopefully Broadcom. No Ethernet LACP though.

The pool of people who want to use LACP at home and the people who take the default Crapcast router likely have zero people in common, with the possible exception of the areas that can bundle Unlimited data with the Crapcast router for cheaper than Unlimited data.
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

2 recommendations

aabaaf to jpartain89

to jpartain89
How do you apply to test this? I am in the central region and have GIG speeds. Already have an XB6.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

7 recommendations

telcodad to CGMason14

MVM

to CGMason14
said by CGMason14:

... What chipset is it running.... hopefully Broadcom. ...

Given that the model number has the "-T" suffix, which means it was made by Technicolor, it's most likely that it does use a Broadcom chipset.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

4 recommendations

neufuse to maxbrando

to maxbrando
if you are going to put a 2.5Gbit port on it, why not just do IEEE 802.3bz and support 1, 2.5, 5 and 10Gbps

I mean, it's good that a modem FINALLY has a port higher then 1Gbps, but why not support all the speeds 802.3bz allows? or maybe it does?

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
Mountainside, NJ

12 recommendations

CGMason14

The hardware for 2.5GbE ports are cheaper to implement than 10GbE ports. They also only require Cat 5e rated wiring, so less support headaches.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

6 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

The XB7 is now shown on this "Overview of Xfinity Gateways" page on Comcast's support site:

quote:
xFi Gateway 3rd Generation

Our xFi Gateway 3rd Generation offers a new colorway (white/gray) to compliment your home decor, a less disruptive LED light, the fastest speeds, more ports, the widest coverage, exclusive WiFi management tools, Parental Controls and xFi Pods for extended coverage.

xFi Gateway 3rd Generation

• Model Numbers: CGM4331COM
• Friendly Model Name: XB7
• Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 4
• Dual-Band WiFi Option: Yes
• Maximum Data Throughput: 2.5 Gbps
• WPS (WiFi Protected Setup): Yes
• Gateway/ Network Management Tool (»10.0.0.1): Yes
• Xfinity xFi Eligible: Yes
• Two Total Telephone Ports: Yes (separate Alarm Port)
• Link Cordless Phones (CAT-iq 2.0*): Yes
• Home Hotspot Capable: Yes
• Compatible with Xfinity Home: Yes

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
Mountainside, NJ

5 recommendations

CGMason14

Has anyone tried linking CAT-iq 2.0 phones to these gateways?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

3 recommendations

BiggA

Premium Member

said by CGMason14:

Has anyone tried linking CAT-iq 2.0 phones to these gateways?

I'd suspect they're never going to do it, since the EPON gateways don't have it. It sounds like a neat idea that doesn't make market sense when people can buy a cheap cordless phone at Costco and plug it into an analog jack.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

5 recommendations

neufuse to CGMason14

to CGMason14
Usually when you have a 2.5GbE port it also supports 5GbE auto sensing, so this seems like an artificial limitation
neufuse

4 recommendations

neufuse to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall

Re: [Equip] New XB7? Technicolor CGM4331COM - Wireless AX(Wi-Fi 6)

btw, we probably wont see this device but..

IHV Sercomm says its ES2251 modem is now DOCSIS 3.1 CableLabs certified and also has a 2.5GbE port on it

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

8 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Interesting choice of white rental equipment. I wonder if the rest of the hardware(STBs/remotes) will follow. I imagine you'd be able to easily tell if your XB7 is an old returned unit in the future, based off of how dirty the white is lol.

Too bad the WPS wasn't kept on the front.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

2 recommendations

computerman2 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
How would I go about getting that when released for Michigan Region, I have extreme 300 speed package currently, currently renting a Arris 1682G since had to when moved into new Townhome, so hope Broadcom based and not Puma chipset, This one I guess isn't too bad currently, but really wouldn't mind a XB-6 or XB7-T model

Do have Samsung Galaxy S10e that Is wifi AX capable
gtb
Premium Member
join:2016-05-16
united state

6 recommendations

gtb to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse

said by neufuse:

Usually when you have a 2.5GbE port it also supports 5GbE auto sensing

Usually? I think you need to go look at a couple of the (low cost) chipsets that are 1/2.5 only targeted for consumer devices, such as the Realtek RTL8226, which is apparently offered at an aggressive price point. Sure, in the real networking world 1/2.5/5/10Gbps is more common (although the power budget for copper 10Gbps is sometimes an issue), but consumer solutions are extremely price sensitive, and 2.5 looks bigger than 1 when you chose your cardboard at best buy.

Boredness
So bored...
Premium Member
join:2005-07-07
Fresno, CA

2 recommendations

Boredness to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall

I would have been more impressed if it had four 5GbE ports on the back of it than this half-assed 1X 2.5 and the rest is only capable of doing 1GbE. You're definitely going to need a 2.5GbE switch on that sucker and it's going to have to share all the bandwidth on that single port and that looks like a bottleneck to me.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

2 recommendations

neufuse to gtb

to gtb

Usually as in when there is a device on the market it usually supports up to 5Gbps, yes there are chips out there that are not including 5GbE but most devices on the market that implement this include the 5GbE spec

but yes the market is small for these devices right now so most of them are higher priced ones that have the spec for 5GbE implemented
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

7 recommendations

brad152 to Boredness

to Boredness

said by Boredness:

I would have been more impressed if it had four 5GbE ports on the back of it than this half-assed 1X 2.5 and the rest is only capable of doing 1GbE. You're definitely going to need a 2.5GbE switch on that sucker and it's going to have to share all the bandwidth on that single port and that looks like a bottleneck to me.

for someone who's gonna be concerned with that, i'm sure they're gonna not be using a Comcast-provided gateway anyway.

OR using this to pump into a more fully-featured router in bridge mode

It's not like they are going to give any meaningful speed upgrades soon anyway, until they can get some more upstream available.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

8 recommendations

telcodad to Darknessfall

MVM

to Darknessfall
There's an article with a few more details on the Light Reading site now:

Comcast Tests 2.5-Gig Gateway
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading - December 10, 2019
»www.lightreading.com/cab ··· d/756190
telcodad

9 recommendations

telcodad to neufuse

MVM

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

BTW, we probably won't see this device but..

IHV Sercomm says its ES2251 modem is now DOCSIS 3.1 CableLabs certified and also has a 2.5GbE port on it

Well, there's also the Zoom/Motorola MB8611, which looks like it will soon be an approved retail modem for Comcast:

Zoom Telephonics Achieves CableLabs Certification for DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem with 2.5 Gbps LAN Port
Motorola MB8611 Allows Actual Internet Speeds Over 1 Gbps With Some WiFi 6 Routers

Zoom press release, GlobeNewswire - December 10, 2019
»www.globenewswire.com/ne ··· ort.html
quote:
Zoom Telephonics, Inc. (“Zoom” or “the Company”) (OTCQB: ZMTP), a leading producer of cable modems and other communication products, today reported that its Motorola Model MB8611 has recently earned CableLabs certification. This DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem features a 2.5 Gbps LAN port, ideal for new cable services with speeds over 1 Gbps and for use with routers and computers that have a 2.5 Gbps WAN port. This is a “future proof” modem that also works well for slower DOCSIS 3.0 cable services and for slower routers, computers, and other devices.

Motorola Model MB8611 samples are expected to be available for cable service provider testing in January 2020, and to be in mass production as soon as March 2020. Sales through retailers will begin after completion of tests by Comcast and others, and those sales are expected to begin in March 2020.

Management Commentary

Frank Manning, Zoom’s CEO, commented on the successful completion of Motorola MB8611 Cablelabs certification. “This product has excellent potential for sales through retailers and service providers. Cable Internet services over 1 Gbps are coming soon, and this is the ideal cable modem for those services and for slower services. It works for all consumer routers, but it really shines for WiFi 6 routers and computers that include a 2.5 Gbps WAN port. Our Motorola MB8600 and some other DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems have used Port Aggregation to support cable Internet speeds over 1 Gbps; but a 2.5 Gbps port is a much better solution that is already supported by some WiFi 6 routers and computers, and that over time will be supported by many more.”

Joe Wytanis, Zoom’s President, added: “The Motorola MB8611 is part of a wave of new DOCSIS 3.1 products we’re bringing to the market. This product should make an important contribution to our revenues in 2020 and beyond.” …
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

3 recommendations

videomatic3 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
I welcome faster than 1 gigabit Ethernet, that’s awesome, for me though I’d be looking to put it into bridged mode, and there isn’t really any routers out there with 2.5 gbit wan and lan

On another note, be prepared for more lopsided tiers
Introducing 2 gbit download 10mbit upload.
However does this mean later when they introduce symmetrical speeds, will they make it 2gbit/2gbit?

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

5 recommendations

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by videomatic3:

On another note, be prepared for more lopsided tiers
Introducing 2 gbit download 10mbit upload.
However does this mean later when they introduce symmetrical speeds, will they make it 2gbit/2gbit?

I doubt they'll make the highest tier that lopsided, If anything they'll kill the gig tier and replace it with a faster tier with the same 35mb upload they've had since the original Extreme 300 tier.
But or now I'm not sure I see that happening, until plant upgrades are done I don't see them offering any faster download since they've only got about 2 gigabits to work with as it is, and I'm sure a good portion of systems are still only 750 and they've already compressed the hell out of video, running 32 SC-QAMs and a 96mhz OFDM block is about all the RF budget they've got.
I'd say symmetric speeds are quite a ways off, maybe within a few years a few test systems will get them but mass deployment is probably several years off and by then I'd suspect the current equipment will probably not be in use, at least not for the highest tiers. .

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

6 recommendations

tshirt to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse

said by neufuse:

Usually when you have a 2.5GbE port it also supports 5GbE auto sensing, so this seems like an artificial limitation

A few year back comcast engineering explained their expected footsteps would be 2.5 as a base later leading to 4, 5,10,25 and finally 40, the reasoning was largely cost based following lab experiments and speculation on the final steps.
getting 2.5 to them 58 million homes passed would already be an amazing advance.
The 55 watt (MAX) PSU seems a bit high until you look at all the radios listed. Hopefully unsed ones can really be turned OFF in the software cause 483552watts per year per home could power one really big (75"plus) screen full time
tshirt

3 recommendations

tshirt to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse

said by neufuse:

btw, we probably wont see this device but..

Almost everywhere has D3.1 today, D4 is coming fast but probably won't be EVERYWHERE for a couple+ years. and that's just comcast
Cable labs still supports the ISP's that are only doing 3.1 for now

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Netgear CM1150V
Netgear R7800

4 recommendations

mb6

said by tshirt:

Almost everywhere has D3.1 today, D4 is coming fast but probably won't be EVERYWHERE for a couple+ years. and that's just comcast...

Almost, D3.1 is not here in between NYC and Philly in their NW Jersey market (lack of FIOS competition). I don't know if I'll live long enough to see D4.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

2 recommendations

neufuse to tshirt

to tshirt
not sure what that had to do with my post? I was pointing out that there is at least one D3.1 certified 2.5GbE stand alone modem out there that isn't this XB7

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

5 recommendations

tshirt to mb6

Premium Member

to mb6
Comcast did announce that the D3.1 rollout is complete, not sure if what that means for areas that haven't been done.
maybe you'll go strait to D4, or your area will stay D.3 or work is started/ in progress just not obvious from the ground or plant rebuild /trade is in the future.
lack of competition OR low likelihood of RoI seem to be what areas I know of have in common, I've been assuming OLD plants are still awaiting upgrades/engineering before some features and services are possible
tshirt

3 recommendations

tshirt to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

not sure what that had to do with my post?

I was speculating on it's purpose, agreeing that Comcast probably won't shouldn't buy many of those seeing as MOST areas are aimed at D4. but remembering Cable Labs supports Cablecos world wide so this might have a niche somewhere.
It may even get D4 certified in the qualifying rounds next month.
since Comcast is the big gorilla in the domestic D4, getting their stamp of approval is a big next step
I even gave you a thumbs up for the discovery, everyone is so grumpy today.

just 15 more days of pre Xmas '19 shopping, I waiting for the 2020 deals