MVM
join:2009-11-25

6 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

Privacy good news/bad news for the day

The good news -- »www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· ailures/
quote:
A proposed law bill in the US aims to give regulators genuine powers to go after companies that fail to protect citizens' privacy up to and including jailing bosses. The brilliantly titled "Mind Your Own Business Act" (PDF) would give the Federal Trade Commission, which is responsible for privacy protections, the power to do more than just fine companies that drop the ball with their customers' data. Ron Wyden, Democrat senator for Oregon, said: "Mark Zuckerberg won't take Americans' privacy seriously unless he feels personal consequences. A slap on the wrist from the FTC won't do the job, so under my bill he'd face jail time for lying to the government." Wyden said he had spent a year talking to experts about what was required and three clear messages emerged. Consumers need to be given back control of their data; companies must be far more transparent about what they do with that data; and there must be real consequences for executives who break the rules. The bill would exceed European protections offered by the General Data Protection Regulation but includes the same level of fines – 4 per cent of annual revenues for first offences. But executives who lie to regulators face between ten and 20 year prison sentences. The FTC would have to set minimum standards for privacy and cybersecurity for all organisations to follow.
Can only hope this doesn't die in committee and doesn't get watered down before passage.

The bad news -- »www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _patrol/
quote:
America's border cops are considering adding facial-recognition technology to body cameras worn by agents. In a request-for-information document [PDF] – sent to equipment makers, and obtained by The Register on Thursday – the US government's Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) stated it wanted to “obtain information and, or recommendations for body-worn cameras, software for video management and redaction, and cloud storage supporting an Incident Driven Video Recording System at CBP.” Essentially, the request is Homeland Security putting feelers out for potential providers of body-camera gear. Said devices should perform two tasks: facial recognition and facial comparison. Facial recognition will allow border patrol to check someone’s face against a database of people of interest. Facial comparison will check that a person’s face matches the one in their identification documents, whether that would be a driving license, passport, or similar.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· oSxd2nNY

This scene from Elysium pretty much encapuslates my feelings on this "request for information." [/cynical]

Regards

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

3 edits

1 recommendation

SysOp

Thanks for the link and for starting this thread. (My reply's are not directed towards you btw)

I don't use Facebook, but as an Adult I have the right to trade my Intellectual Property for products and/or services. Once I hand it over, it's no longer mine to control as it's payment for services rendered. I imagine this "Act" could and should protect me for when I did not agree to terms of service trading my personal info in exchange for services, for example Florida DMV selling personal information.

What I really need as a Citizen, are real consequences for executives Government Officials who break the rules.

If anything, follow the money and make damn sure none of these politicians, their friends, their family etc make a single dime off this. Because this has nothing to do with protecting privacy, and everything to do with $$$.
SysOp

1 edit

1 recommendation

SysOp to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
If this "Act" was really about privacy, how about putting a stop to the Florida DMV's practice of selling personal information and making DNS encryption mandatory...

The Florida DMV sells your personal information and there’s no way to opt out »www.privateinternetacces ··· selling).

House Antitrust Investigators Now Scrutinizing Google's Plans to Add DNS Encryption to Chrome »gizmodo.com/house-antitr ··· 38601830
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

3 recommendations

InternetJeff to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
quote:
Said devices should perform two tasks: facial recognition and facial comparison. Facial recognition will allow border patrol to check someone’s face against a database of people of interest. Facial comparison will check that a person’s face matches the one in their identification documents, whether that would be a driving license, passport, or similar.
Having a problem understanding why this is "bad"news.

In the old days, police and/or federal agents might carry around a notebook with photos of most wanted and other criminals ("people of interest"), so if they see or encounter a suspect they can recognize them. So now a computer is doing the comparisons versus manually by an officer. The only thing that might be a required here is the deletion of the bodycam images after a certain amount of time. Aside from that, it's a nothingburger.

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

3 recommendations

SysOp

Facial recognition would have certainly helped during the Mariel crisis, when Cuban leader Fidel Castro emptied his prisons and mentally insane onto the shores of Florida overwhelming law enforcement and US emigration. Many of those criminals still at large, hiding in plain sight.

Fast forward to today, Citizens need all the help they can get with the current influx of illegals.

Facial recognition is not a substitute for positive ID but as a tool that allows tax payers to spend less money on the sheer number of law enforcement agents it would take to walk around with notebooks with photos in order to find criminals at large.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

1 edit

6 recommendations

tlbepson

Premium Member

sysop:
>>Facial recognition would have certainly helped during the Mariel crisis, when Cuban leader Fidel Castro emptied his prisons and mentally insane onto the shores of Florida overwhelming law enforcement and US emigration.

Yeah...right...because Castro would have released photos of all those people so that facial recognition software (had it existed) would have had something to match against...

Let us also ignore that that current facial recognition technology leaves more than a bit to be desired with respect to any kind of accuracy...

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

Shamayim to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
"There must be real consequences"

Fat chance!

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

SysOp to tlbepson

to tlbepson
Photos were taken upon arrival. It took months to process those people.

I imagine the software today could also indicate when no match is made, not just when a match is made.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

1 edit

6 recommendations

tlbepson

Premium Member

sysop:
>>Photos were taken upon arrival. It took months to process those people.

Ok...but...if you don't have anything to compare it to then all you have is a (at the time) current photo?

>>I imagine the software today could also indicate when no match is made, not just when a match is made.

That tells you nothing since the underlying accuracy is in question--it's both false positive and false negative...

OldNavyGuy
join:2018-07-24
Newberg, OR

3 recommendations

OldNavyGuy to SysOp

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

If this "Act" was really about privacy, how about putting a stop to the Florida DMV's practice of selling personal information and making DNS encryption mandatory...

The Florida DMV sells your personal information and there’s no way to opt out »www.privateinternetacces ··· lorida's DMV earned $77 million,general data brokering (reselling).

Thread on this topic in September...

»DMVs are Selling Personal Data to Private Investigators

DonoftheDead
Old diver
Premium Member
join:2004-07-12
Clinton, WA

4 recommendations

DonoftheDead to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
I believe our personal data should be our personal property and should not be given or sold to 3rd parties without our express permission. It should always be opt-in too.