MVM
join:2009-11-25

7 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

Japanese hotel chain "Gomenasai! Our in-room robots may have been hacked!"

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _guests/
quote:
Japanese hotel chain HIS Group has apologised for ignoring warnings that its in-room robots were hackable to allow pervs to remotely view video footage from the devices. The Henn na Hotel is staffed by robots: guests can be checked in by humanoid or dinosaur reception bots before proceeding to their room. Facial recognition tech will let customers into their room and then a bedside robot will assist with other requirements. However several weeks ago a security researcher revealed on Twitter that he had warned HIS Group in July about the bed-bots being easily accessible, noting they sported "unsigned code" allowing a user to tap an NFC tag to the back of robot's head and allow access via the streaming app of their choice. Having heard nothing, the researcher made the hack public on 13 October. The vulnerability allows guests to gain access to cameras and microphones in the robot remotely so they could watch and listen to anyone in the room in the future. The hotel is one of a chain of 10 in Japan which use a variety of robots instead of meat-based staff.
Can we get a pic of one of their robots -- preferably a yamato nadeshiko -- doing a deep bow apology for this? Just for research purposes? [/joke]

Regards

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Re: Japanese hotel chain "Gomenasai! Our in-room robots may have been hacked!"

HiKVision Cameras?
Used ones I bought had backdoor!
I had to connect to them isolated from Internet, download new firmware, configure without Chinese time server or remote access (created a local LAN time server to be certain), and denied internet access by camera via router.
THEN I field confidant they were OK!
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

3 recommendations

Bobby_Peru to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _guests/ ...Facial recognition tech will let customers into their room and then a bedside robot will assist with other requirements.

Nod's as good as a wink.