Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

jm101

Sonic Fiber Supposedly Coming to our Area

Click for full size
I was walking home from work today and saw the same contractor who ran fiber for AT&T on our street a couple block away. The techs were running messenger wire on the pole. I asked them what it’s for and was told Sonic Fiber is coming!! This was at Piedmont Ave. and John St. in Oakland.
det427
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

det427

Premium Member

Are you going to switch to Sonic?
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

2 recommendations

jm101

said by det427:

Are you going to switch to Sonic?

If their own fiber makes it to our block, definitely! I have not been pleased with AT&T lately and would like to drop all services with them (including my cell line).

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

3 recommendations

rolfp to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
I'm working just up the hill on Echo near Rose and noticed the Sonic trucks with the spools of stranded cable in the street, also.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

2 recommendations

jm101

said by rolfp:

I'm working just up the hill on Echo near Rose and noticed the Sonic trucks with the spools of stranded cable in the street, also.

Nice! I also saw the same contractor at Monte Vista and Kingston. I thought more AT&T Fiber was going in but turns out it’s all for Sonic!
jm101

4 recommendations

jm101

Click for full size
Sonic truck chilling on our street yesterday! I wonder if there is some construction going on nearby.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

2 recommendations

Moffetts

They are working in San Mateo, too...
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 recommendation

jm101

said by Moffetts:

They are working in San Mateo, too...

Nice. I saw a Sonic truck a few weeks back working by MacArthur and Grand. Nothing new in our neighborhood that I know of and the messenger wire is still sitting up the on the pole (down the street) from later last year.
jm101

2 recommendations

jm101

There is now some fiber on the messenger wire. Just yesterday evening, I noticed a splice closure by Piedmont Elementary school. Today, I saw two Sonic trucks by it.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

6 recommendations

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by jm101:

There is now some fiber on the messenger wire. Just yesterday evening, I noticed a splice closure by Piedmont Elementary school. Today, I saw two Sonic trucks by it.

Pretty cool to see the construction reaching more and more areas, and the build out occurring so quickly. Tell a neighbor!
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

2 recommendations

jm101

said by DaneJasper:

said by jm101:

Pretty cool to see the construction reaching more and more areas, and the build out occurring so quickly. Tell a neighbor!

Thank you for the reply, Dane! I am looking forward to seeing more progress (and hoping it appears on our block ). I will also be sure to spread the word.
jm101

1 edit

6 recommendations

jm101

Click for full size
I can't believe it!!

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

2 recommendations

leibold

MVM

Congratulations.

Still waiting here in Sunnyvale.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

2 recommendations

jm101

said by leibold:

Congratulations.

Still waiting here in Sunnyvale.

Thank you! I’m pretty surprised. I called this morning and was told about a first month for free offer. Online is offering me the first three months for free but was told that won’t work with preorders (although it came up in my order summary). Not sure if I should order online or by phone in that case.
jm101

2 recommendations

jm101

Preordered last night. Also see a permit pulled to directionally bore down the street from us. Is this similar to microtrenching?

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

5 recommendations

leibold

MVM

No, those are two very different technologies.

Micro-trenching is used to bury cables/fiber in a very shallow groove. The advantage of micro-trenching is that it is cheap and fast with almost no risk for existing infrastructure that is usually buried at a safer level lower in the ground.
The disadvantage of micro-trenching is that any kind of roadwork is likely to damage the cables/fibers since they are just inches below the surface.

Directional boring with modern equipment can place conduit at any depth with amazing precision.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

3 recommendations

jm101

said by leibold:

No, those are two very different technologies.

Micro-trenching is used to bury cables/fiber in a very shallow groove. The advantage of micro-trenching is that it is cheap and fast with almost no risk for existing infrastructure that is usually buried at a safer level lower in the ground.
The disadvantage of micro-trenching is that any kind of roadwork is likely to damage the cables/fibers since they are just inches below the surface.

Directional boring with modern equipment can place conduit at any depth with amazing precision.

Thank you! All of this is good to know. I’ll keep my eye open for the work.
jm101

1 edit

4 recommendations

jm101

Click for full size
Still no messenger wire on our block but this might be a good sign. Some more work nearby listed on the City of Oakland permit website.

former qwest
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
out there

3 recommendations

former qwest

Premium Member

following, good luck! pretty sad when city permit spells "aerial"
as "areal", 'tho...
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

3 recommendations

jm101

said by former qwest:

following, good luck! pretty sad when city permit spells "aerial"
as "areal", 'tho...

Thanks! Was all excited on Friday when I saw construction down the street. Turned out to be for a sewer lateral it looked like.
jm101

1 edit

3 recommendations

jm101

Contractor is on our block right now running or preparing to run messenger wire!
jm101

5 recommendations

jm101

Click for full size
This was also sent to us this past week. Looks like it will be going live soon!
jm101

5 recommendations

jm101

Click for full size
Click for full size
My dad took these pictures. Looks like they are getting ready to run conduit.

kdepasquale
join:2004-03-13
Oakland, CA
·SONIC
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

4 recommendations

kdepasquale

Click for full size
Just got this update today
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

said by kdepasquale:

Just got this update today

I wonder if we also got that email. Sounds like they are putting in the OLTs and cabling.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA

leibold to kdepasquale

MVM

to kdepasquale
Lucky you!

I wonder how far down the peninsula Sonic has come by now ?
I'm still waiting here in the South Bay.
jm101
Oakland, CA

2 recommendations

jm101

AT&T Fiber gave us a promotion to make our Internet 1000 bill $39.99/month standalone.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

Gbcue to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
Dang, you're lucky! In Sonic's HQ city here, and no Sonic fiber for the foreseeable future.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

2 recommendations

jm101

said by Gbcue:

Dang, you're lucky! In Sonic's HQ city here, and no Sonic fiber for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, with the new AT&T promotions, we may keep it for a while. Hoping that Sonic comes out with an Internet only option soon.

We are switching to VoIP.ms from AT&T VoIP and I am impressed with all of the features. At this point, we really just need Internet.
Hydra
join:2020-11-22
Avon, CT

1 recommendation

Hydra

Then again, you can use your own router on Sonic for the same price and no BGW bullshit with double NAT and janky passthrough. And it's a small company!