Search similar:

uniqs
gibby13
join:2016-01-06

21 recommendations

gibby13

BGW320-505 new gateway with integrated ONT,

Click for full size
Can't find much info other than from the FCC site so far.
sd70mac
Premium Member
join:2015-10-18
Woodstock, IL

10 recommendations

sd70mac

Premium Member

It's interesting that it has a port capable of 5Gbps (and 2.5Gbps) link rates.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

4 recommendations

Ultibeam to gibby13

to gibby13
It's possibly an XGS-PON ONT/gateway combo unit, with Wifi 6 to go along with the N-base-t port. (speculation)

I'm excited to see this is happening.
gibby13
join:2016-01-06

4 recommendations

gibby13

said by Ultibeam:

It's possibly an XGS-PON ONT/gateway combo unit, with Wifi 6 to go along with the N-base-t port. (speculation)

I'm excited to see this is happening.

Yes, source told me it has WiFi 6.
tvsjr
Premium Member
join:2004-10-09
Dallas, TX

13 recommendations

tvsjr to gibby13

Premium Member

to gibby13
Interesting. Big downside is bypassing the gateway becomes a lot more challenging when it's all one unit.
pcunite
join:2010-04-10

5 recommendations

pcunite to gibby13

to gibby13
This product is for those who do not want to run their own equipment. That's a lot of people. So there is value for that side of their business. This also says that a pure bridge mode ONT for us, is a possibility.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

8 recommendations

Astyanax to tvsjr

Premium Member

to tvsjr
said by tvsjr:

Big downside is bypassing the gateway becomes a lot more challenging when it's all one unit.

Hence its design.

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

4 recommendations

Davy49 to gibby13

to gibby13
Hi Everyone,
This announcement is very interesting to say the least, I'm still looking for additional information, but I did find this already :
»fccid.io/2ADZRBGW320/Tes ··· -4471423
David

CamaroZ28
join:2015-04-23
Atlanta, GA

4 recommendations

CamaroZ28 to gibby13

to gibby13
What type of slot is marked ONT? Definitely doesn't look like SFP or SFP+

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01

3 recommendations

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by CamaroZ28:

I think it's whatever connector they use on the current ONTs.
dlewis23
join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

4 recommendations

dlewis23 to sd70mac

to sd70mac
said by sd70mac:

It's interesting that it has a port capable of 5Gbps (and 2.5Gbps) link rates.

Really like that, means we should now actually be able to get 1000 Mbps + instead of being stuck at around 940 Mbps.

And I really hope there is a pure bridge mode.
omw
join:2016-03-08

5 recommendations

omw to gibby13

to gibby13
Does that mean AT&T Fiber is getting 5 gigabit?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

8 recommendations

ke4pym to maxbrando

Premium Member

to maxbrando
said by maxbrando:

said by CamaroZ28:

I think it's whatever connector they use on the current ONTs.

That'd be a SC connector.
ke4pym

2 recommendations

ke4pym to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23
said by dlewis23:

And I really hope there is a pure bridge mode.

If that is true, then I'll finally pull the trigger.

Anonb5a19
@76.209.89.x

11 recommendations

Anonb5a19 to gibby13

Anon

to gibby13
This has been in the works for some time. I'd been hearing insider things about it for a few years.

That said, sadly for bypass it is not good.
This is to replace current ONT and gateways. It's supposed to cut cost since one device now. It's also to upgrade the aging WiFi and allow support for future higher speed packages (thus the new 5 gig port standard. It also allows better troubleshooting as a single device to report stats and reboot etc.

The bridge mode on it will sadly work like they do today. No "true" bridge. One reason for this is because of TV and phones. They don't wish to design the software so that those with internet only can bypass and even having ways to make those work in bypass they don't wish to deal with. This is the easy path and makes them money (equipment fees) so it's something that will take a rough fight to win otherwise, if possible even. Equipment fees could be disputed easier legally maybe. Now that if you did find a way to bypass you could argue you don't need the ONT that today they could argue you still must use hah.
At the moment I've not heard plans of a standalone ONT though and it doesn't make sense to try to support two new things on top of the old.

For bypass we'll be stuck looking for root methods at the level of if we wanted to replace the ONT today.

All of these obstacles are of course software ones. AT&T could easily allow BYOD but is against it. This is also why the $10 equipment fee was brought back. To pay for these which of course will be paid for 10x over and over since the fee will never go away.

What I will be interested to see is if resellers will get to use the new devices and be "owned" and if resellers will be allowed the higher speed packages once released. It's possible AT&T limit them to the 1Gbps packages and thus a use for the older stuff without having to deal with us internet only suckers...

Uggh, really is sad how ISPs are forcing things these days. I get it in one sense. Keeps things simple and makes them money but sheet, at this point I'd pay $10 more a month to NOT use the equipment LOL. Call it a customer bypass support fee LOL...
superericla
join:2017-02-23
Kansas City, MO

6 recommendations

superericla to gibby13

to gibby13
I've already seen some orders calling for that model.

dls
join:2018-12-07
Chicago, IL

8 recommendations

dls to Anonb5a19

to Anonb5a19
I agree that it's highly unlikely they will offer bridge mode. Their whole network architecture is using TR-069 over public RG IP. It's not possible with bridge mode, unless they migrate management to IPv6, like what Comcast is doing.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL

8 recommendations

Chris123NT to gibby13

to gibby13
I had a funny feeling this was T's next move. Anything to force use of their shitty equipment and subject people to their awful software engineers pushing bugged firmwares.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

3 recommendations

Jim721 to superericla

to superericla
Any idea when this device will be available to customers ?? And would this require a truck roll for people who have already have fiber installed in the ONT ?

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

2 recommendations

jsolo1 to gibby13

Premium Member

to gibby13
Wonder what the power consumption will be on this thing. Iirc the stand alone ont is somewhere in the ball park of 3-4 watts.

dls
Chicago, IL

6 recommendations

dls to Chris123NT

to Chris123NT
said by Chris123NT:

I had a funny feeling this was T's next move. Anything to force use of their shitty equipment and subject people to their awful software engineers pushing bugged firmwares.

It may still be possible to bypass by extracting EAP-TLS credentials and cloning ONT credentials to a standalone Nokia ONT.
dls

1 edit

10 recommendations

dls to Chris123NT

to Chris123NT
Looking at internals of comparable Nokia-branded RG/ONT combo with 10GBE port, it looks like the XGSPON ONT part actually comes in SFP+ form factor.

»fccid.io/2ADZRXS250WXAB/ ··· -3712743

It still uses NAND in same form factor as older RGs, so Flashcat method for reading flash should still work. It could even be possible to root it by modifying Flashcat-extracted image and writing it back.
maczrool
join:2017-04-06
Memphis, TN

2 recommendations

maczrool

Could they possibly encrypt the flash to prevent such attacks?

dls
Chicago, IL

1 edit

9 recommendations

dls

Something has to decrypt the flash, like a bootloader. It has to contain a key or be capable of extracting the key from CPU ROM mask. But if the key becomes exposed, and they do almost all the time, the whole protection goes down the drain. I don't think ATT is going to order CPUs with custom masks, so the key will likely be stored in flash in obfuscated format, just like in current RGs. But you know what happens when you store the key and the lock together.

Just look at Bosch and Siemens automotive ECUs - they have ROM masks with keys, but got cracked in just a couple years. It is not worth the effort.

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

18 recommendations

jsolo1

Premium Member

It's not like we're talking theft of service... we just want to use our own damn equipment!@#
maczrool
join:2017-04-06
Memphis, TN

5 recommendations

maczrool to dls

to dls
Of course no security is impenetrable, but I wouldn’t put it past them to try anyway to make it more difficult.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

3 recommendations

OSUGoose to gibby13

to gibby13
Its looking like Nokia AND Humax are going to make em
bsd1337
Beastie
join:2018-02-10
Redmond, WA

1 edit

9 recommendations

bsd1337 to gibby13

to gibby13
I noticed a SFP port on the bottom. Bypass could work assuming the SFP is used for an ONT, and your "router" has an SFP port or you have a media converter. And then plug in your cable to the BGW320.

However SFPs are becoming more common in FTTH: look at Bell Canada. Most ISPs use GPON for Ethernet and Ethernet only, especially because less people use POTS, ATM, or even RF (remember: cord cutting) unless the ISP ever chose that patch (remember: mostly Verizon and Cable greenfield).

I feel that the ONT port is an Ethernet port to be compatible with existing GPON ONTs, for instance if someone got this in the mail and is still on GPON and not XGS-PON, to avoid a tech visit.
omw
join:2016-03-08

3 recommendations

omw

So AT&T Fiber uses GPON? Will they have to change that if/when they go to 5/10 Gb?
BleedingEdge
join:2014-07-14
Beverly Hills, CA
ARRIS SB6190
Netgear R8000

7 recommendations

BleedingEdge

said by omw:

So AT&T Fiber uses GPON? Will they have to change that if/when they go to 5/10 Gb?

XG-PON or XGS-PON