Search similar:

uniqs
heitordp
join:2019-08-21
Rockville, MD

4 recommendations

heitordp to PX_Eliezer8

to PX_Eliezer8

Re: Voxbone reportedly says iNum to shut down next week.

Oh no! Thanks for providing the news. I just tried and can't make or receive calls from iNum. It was good while it lasted. Now I'll have to spend a few more cents per month, which of course I can afford, but I still liked the idea of having a free worldwide number. I thank Voxbone for keeping iNum for so many years. I hope that another provider is interested in implementing a similar service in the future.

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

5 recommendations

mgraves1 to heitordp

Premium Member

to heitordp

Re: Voxbone transfers iNum to the ITU

I've heard from staff there that Voxbone's iNum servers were decommissioned today.
PX_Eliezer8
join:2014-11-13
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

6 recommendations

PX_Eliezer8 to heitordp

to heitordp

said by heitordp:

I thank Voxbone for keeping iNum for so many years. I hope that another provider is interested in implementing a similar service in the future.

If it were to be ANYBODY, it would be MagicJack beacuse of their affiliation with the VocalTec company based in Israel---Israel being a land known for resurrection.

[That's a joke folks!]

-----

Seriously, we've buried iNum more times than the Spanish dictator General Franco, so it's hard to believe they have finally gone.

Especially done in such a quiet way.
PX_Eliezer8

3 recommendations

PX_Eliezer8 to mgraves1

to mgraves1

Re: Voxbone transfers iNum to the ITU

said by mgraves1:

I've heard from staff there that Voxbone's iNum servers were decommissioned today.

Voxbone's iNum servers were not just for the iNum (+883) numbers, but ALSO supported the ITU country code (+888) for the United Nations to use for major disasters and emergencies.

»www.voxbone.com/press/re ··· sasters/

Technically the ITU assigned country code (+888) to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) but it was supposed to run on the same Voxbone system.

Haven't really heard about it in recent years.
zapattack
join:2012-07-02
CANADA

zapattack to heitordp

to heitordp

Re: Voxbone decommissions iNum

Although sip.inum.net is unresponsive,
I can still dial my VMS iNum on VMS and it connects, so still in the VMS database.
Test numbers do not work.
PX_Eliezer8
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

5 recommendations

PX_Eliezer8

said by zapattack:

I can still dial my VMS iNum on VMS and it connects, so still in the VMS database.

It could stay there forever, that's like an internal number for Voip.MS at this point.

If you call it from an iNum PSTN Access Number it won't work, and if you call if from Localphone (which historically does allow calls to iNum) it won't work either.

Yes, it's over, call it a day
Sorry that it had to end this way
No reason to pretend
We knew it had to end some day, this way....

It's over.

Oh, it was over....

It's over, the SIPS are down
Nearly all our bridge modes tumbled down....

Whatever chance we try, let's face it why deny
It's over (It's over)
It's over.

Apologies to Johnny Mathis & Deniece Williams.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 recommendation

Stewart to zapattack

to zapattack
said by zapattack:

Test numbers do not work.

But when I call an iNum access number (tested with + 646 843 6969), I can call the test numbers, which are still working.
pjw724
join:2015-06-19
Canada

3 recommendations

pjw724 to heitordp

to heitordp
VoIP.ms email received today June 2 -

Decommissioning work on iNums

We wanted to let you know that the upstream carrier supporting the iNum initiative has unfortunately started carrying out decommissioning work on iNums.

While the iNum service will no longer work with the great majority of VoIP providers, including VoIP.ms, the upstream carrier advised that the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) can still provide working numbers.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

3 recommendations

josephf

said by pjw724:

While the iNum service will no longer work with the great majority of VoIP providers, including VoIP.ms, the upstream carrier advised that the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) can still provide working numbers.

Again with the claim of the ITU supposedly servicing this into the future?
PX_Eliezer8
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

PX_Eliezer8

said by josephf:

said by pjw724:

Again with the claim of the ITU supposedly servicing this into the future?

It's pretty silly.
PX_Eliezer8

1 edit

PX_Eliezer8 to pjw724

to pjw724
NM...
markosjal
join:2005-08-06
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

markosjal to heitordp

to heitordp
not a big deal, I can still be reached via SIP on ippi.fr, IPtel, Callcentric or OnSip. iNum just redirected to one of those anyway.
PX_Eliezer8
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

4 recommendations

PX_Eliezer8 to heitordp

to heitordp
Interesting the status at various providers.

1) Voip.MS at least sent out that e-mail today, they will have to update their website and wiki.

2) For the "ippi" company, a big part of their service has been iNum, yet there is absolutely zero mention at "ippi" that anything has changed!

3) As discussed here previously, Callcentric had to end support for iNum last November because Voxbone refused to make necessary adjustments when CC installed some new equipment. Being that CC was a major facilitator of iNum in various ways, this was a slap in the face by Voxbone and a big red flag that Voxbone wanted iNum off their hands.

4) Localphone previously supplied iNum numbers, but recently their website has said they have no new ones available. However Localphone had continued support and their website has no mention of any changes.

5) The Canadian and US outfit VoIP_Much still promotes their iNums.

Etc.
PX_Eliezer8

5 recommendations

PX_Eliezer8 to pjw724

to pjw724
said by pjw724:

VoIP.ms email received today June 2 -

quote:
Decommissioning work on iNums

We wanted to let you know that the upstream carrier supporting the iNum initiative has unfortunately started carrying out decommissioning work on iNums.

So [technically] this makes sense.

The "upstream carrier" (Voxbone of course) makes a true statement that "the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) can still provide working numbers".

Sure.

But the ITU would be dealing with [service providers] such as Voxbone or any similar company who wants to go through an extensive formal process, the ITU will NOT be "providing numbers" directly to regular people at the user level (customer level) such as you, me, or Thelma Lou.

Likewise for example, the ITU's sister organization the Universal Postal Union (UPU) would laugh at an individual person who tried to buy a stamp from them.

-----

The ending of iNum has resulted in pretty much zero discussion other than right here.

Don't see anything on Reddit etc.

The lack of discussion ironically confirms how irrelevant it had become.

Which is a shame.

-----

I wonder if iNum could have succeeded if it had been set up as a paid service (paid but low-priced) rather than free.

It might have still attracted people, but some money in the system would have encouraged more providers to distribute the numbers and (especially) to carry the calls.

And if there were a couple less digits.

Corporate customers such as Apple, GM, Disney, Nestle, etc, might have liked the idea of having a worldwide number for their company.

Ah, well.

RIP iNum.

josephf

3 recommendations

josephf

said by PX_Eliezer8:

Corporate customers such as Apple, GM, Disney, Nestle, etc, might have liked the idea of having a worldwide number for their company.

There's worldwide numbers available from many carriers using the +800 international dialing code. The calls are free to the callers and billed to the owner of the number.
PX_Eliezer8
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

3 recommendations

PX_Eliezer8

You mean the ITU's program of UIFN which works with country code +800.
»www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/inr ··· ult.aspx
»www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/inr ··· ifn.aspx
»www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/inr ··· der.aspx

Problem is, it varies a lot between countries and as you say, "many carriers" does not mean most or all.

In any event, this is all daydreaming now.

josephf

3 recommendations

josephf

Still, +800 currently has and always had a lot more support and use than iNum ever had. Especially in the PSTN world, both in the US and internationally.
josephf

josephf to PX_Eliezer8

to PX_Eliezer8

said by PX_Eliezer8:

Apparently there is a new development.

This message seems to have been sent to various VoIP providers:

Notification (from Voxbone)

Dear Customer,
We are planning to carry out decommissioning works of our INUM service during the following time window:
Start time: 2020-06-02, 08:00 GMT
End time: 2020-06-04, 19:00 GMT
Estimated impact: INUM service will stop working. No other impact expected.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

-----

I received this from a reliable source.

Well, now that June 4th has both come and gone, can we with full confidence inform the Mayor of the Munchkins that iNum is spiritually, physically
positively, absolutely, undeniably and reliably dead?
PX_Eliezer8
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

1 recommendation

PX_Eliezer8

Again, it would work internally WITHIN a provider network.

So you could call from your Voip.MS account to an iNum issued through Voip.MS for example.

But (for example) calling from a Localphone account to an iNum issued by Voip.MS is dead air.

The local PSTN access numbers still are there (because they are sponsored by individual providers) but calls to iNum numbers using the local access number will fail.

Anond08ca
@73.57.53.x

Anond08ca to josephf

Anon

to josephf
said by josephf:

Well, now that June 4th has both come and gone, can we with full confidence inform the Mayor of the Munchkins that iNum is spiritually, physically
positively, absolutely, undeniably and reliably dead?

I wish I could test, but I got rid off both i- nums way back. It seems to have nine lives but my feeling is that this time it's for real.
Maybe someone here with an I num can tell us?
PX_Eliezer8
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ

PX_Eliezer8

said by Anond08ca :

Maybe someone here with an I num can tell us?

The examples I gave were based on my own usage.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

4 recommendations

Stewart to heitordp

to heitordp

Re: Voxbone decommissions iNum

I have a free account at ippi.com. I can dial a SIPBroker access number, enter *8739 followed by my ippi number and the call comes into my PBX.

Although the ippi account shows an active iNum, if I dial an iNum access number and enter it, the call fails.

I can dial the same iNum access number and enter an iNum test number, e.g. 000000091 for echo test and the call succeeds.

The simplest explanation of these three phenomena is that iNum routing has been taken down.