MVM
join:2009-11-25

3 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

Google Offers to Help Others With the Tricky Ethics of AI

»www.wired.com/story/goog ··· hics-ai/
quote:
The company plans to launch new AI ethics services before the end of the year. Initially, Google will offer others advice on tasks such as spotting racial bias in computer vision systems, or developing ethical guidelines that govern AI projects. Longer term, the company may offer to audit customers’ AI systems for ethical integrity, and charge for ethics advice. Google’s new offerings will test whether a lucrative but increasingly distrusted industry can boost its business by offering ethical pointers. Google has learned some AI ethics lessons the hard way—through its own controversies. In 2015, Google apologized and blocked its Photos app from detecting gorillas after a user reported the service had applied that label to photos of him with a Black friend. In 2018, thousands of Google employees protested a Pentagon contract called Maven that used the company’s technology to analyze surveillance imagery from drones. Tracy Frey, who works on AI strategy at Google’s cloud division, says the same trends have prompted customers who rely on Google for powerful AI to ask for ethical help, too. “The world of technology is shifting to saying not ‘I’ll build it just because I can’ but ‘Should I?’” she says.
...see what comes of this, I guess...

Regards
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

1 recommendation

InternetJeff

Google offers "advice" with ethics. Almost spit out my coffee on that one. It's almost like an arsonist wanting to "help" the local fire department.

Hilarious.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

1 recommendation

tlbepson to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
What's the old phrase...pot, kettle, black?

Or, then, maybe just this one word..."stupid"...

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

4 recommendations

Blackbird to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
Note that Google is offering AI ethics "services". IOW, they're going to sell advice on applying ethics to AI... which, of course, means they'll have both insight and tentacles into each customer's knickers who uses such services. And thus the G-beast will grow and grow... since, after all, it's not really about 'ethics', it's about the money resulting from further extending a profitable, dominating business.