uniqs
Gordo
join:2011-11-14
Norman, OK

4 edits

1 recommendation

Gordo

[OK] Cox line quality issues are never-ending

Despite it always being "repaired" in the past, and several technician visits to check our line (when things were just fine, of course) and I'm at my wits end with this excuse for service.
Myself and my wife both work from home. VPN disconnects are a real problem with this issue.
I also stream music online (uploading) and this amount of packet loss is untenable. The average web-surfer wouldn't really notice this kind of issue, but we certainly do. It's practically unusable.

I am considering filing an FCC report, if anyone would think it would make a difference.

Timeline during last technician visit

Full router monitoring page as of right now.

Close up of the line quality over the last 24 hours.

Modem Channel info and error log (CM8200A)
Gordo

1 recommendation

Gordo

This is a typical internet speed test result under the above conditions...
Test is wired (no Wi-Fi) with gigabit connections.
Usually, when service is good, I get around 940Mbps download, and between 30-35Mbps upload.

Speedtest Result (Typical)
Gordo

1 recommendation

Gordo

Tried a new modem... still the same, so I'm betting Cox issues.
Unfortunately, you can't request a line tech directly, and by the time a regular Cox tech comes out, it'll have "fixed" itself.
This is what happened last time, and it's getting infuriating.

HighSpeed
join:2013-07-16
Haysville, KS
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
ARRIS S33
Netgate SG-2100

1 recommendation

HighSpeed

Based on the event logs (T3 Timeouts) and modem signal levels showing uncorrectables outweighing the correctables on most of your downstream channels there you still have some kind of RF interference/noise between your modem and the node. What that exactly is, is something a maintenance technician can track down. You clearly have a case to have maintenance come out and sweep the plant and track down the issue for interference. There really isn't anything you can do except insisting that the issue has not been resolved. In the meantime, check your fittings, make sure your connections are tight (behind wall plates, splitters, STB's, eMTA's, basically anything with a coaxial connection that connects to the Cox DEMARC). Without knowing more about your setup, it's difficult to make sure it's nothing inside the home causing these issues. If this is a home and you don't have TV or phone service, be sure to bypass all splitters to get a direct connection at the DEMARC to your modem.
Gordo
Norman, OK

Gordo

HighSpeed - thank you for your reply.
I didn't do anything except go to sleep... and miraculously...

What does this mean? It's fixed? The weather got nicer?
I'm puzzled....

HighSpeed
Haysville, KS
ARRIS S33
Netgate SG-2100

1 recommendation

HighSpeed

Two things.. if the weather affects the service, you have an RF issue somewhere.. corroded connectors, water damage, damaged cabling of some sort. Which.. based on signal levels it's hard to point my finger at that since you have stellar levels. I'm going to point my finger at utilization. Meaning, something was hogging the upstream (upload) bandwidth. That could be something just local to you on your local network uploading whatever to the internet, a neighbor, or multiple neighbors flooding the upstream. Entirely speculative without knowing the ins and outs of your network or area. Just keep an eye on it and feel free to post more if you have any new information. Best of luck!
Gordo
Norman, OK

3 edits

1 recommendation

Gordo

Update....

The upstream was borked yesterday from around 11:30am to 6:30pm.
I am starting to think that this is a capacity issue with people all working from home.

I scaled the graphs, and you can clearly see ping time and jitter being affected during office hours.
Not sure on the correlation of this with the packet loss, but there you go.

Also, I exported the conmon data from my router and graphed it in Excel.
Have a look see what you think.

HighSpeed
Haysville, KS
ARRIS S33
Netgate SG-2100

1 recommendation

HighSpeed

Agreed. Those ping spikes, latency, and jitter should be something of concern to Cox. Pings should vary a little, but generally within 5ms of the average ping time. It should be a nice flat like surface over time. If you haven't tried contacting Cox about this issue, you might just to see what happens. That way when you do file an FCC complaint you have some ammo in your back pocket stating you have tried going through the regular channels to fix the issue. If I had to guess, Cox is more than likely aware of the utilization of your node and are planning some type of node split to alleviate the congestion.