kkkk40us
join:2001-09-20
Astoria, NY
ARRIS SBG6782-AC

1 recommendation

kkkk40us

Protonmail

Hello, does anyone use Protonmail?

i was considering using as i hate that google read everything in gmail.

i had a few questions about proton...

i have never seen anyone with a Protonmail address EVER so if i have one and send an email, it will go to gmail ,airpost etc... and therefore not secure correct?

they say i can send a key to the email receiver to make it secure but as most of the people i email are colleagues and not friends so to speak this is not practical.

so is Protonmail secure and worth the payment?

Thank you

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

3 recommendations

timcuth

Premium Member

I use Proton Mail. They have blog posts that delineate what is secure and what is not. I have just about stopped worrying about it.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

2 recommendations

ZZZZZZZ to kkkk40us

Premium Member

to kkkk40us
I use it and there is a free version.

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha
join:2000-11-25
Outer Limits

4 recommendations

MiNdErAsR to kkkk40us

to kkkk40us
I recently signed up for a free account. I just migrated all my banking/financial accounts over. I'm still trying to decide what other accounts should be moved over.

From what I understand (and I'm by no means an expert, far from it), end to end encryption only works for emails between Protonmail users.

buttoni
Premium Member
join:2005-08-16
Temple, TX

buttoni to kkkk40us

Premium Member

to kkkk40us
To reconfirm what last poster said, I've also recently started using one of their free accounts (have to type in my own addresses, as you have to have paid account to have an 'address book'). I don't do that much emailing, so typing them in is just not an issue for me. I just recently learned that only Proton Mail to Proton Mail is encrypted. If you send an email from your Proton mail to a friend on say Yahoo Mail or GMail, that email can be read by anyone at the receiving end and a copy is saved there in the sent folder. I was aghast to see that.
You'd have to get your most frequent email correspondents to also get Proton Mail accounts for true encryption of emails between you.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

3 recommendations

tlbepson

Premium Member

buttoni:
>> I was aghast to see that.

Why?

It's not done by magic. It's basic logic... '-}}

onePW
join:2009-10-07
Northern Lat

7 recommendations

onePW to MiNdErAsR

to MiNdErAsR
Please give a read to:

»protonmail.com/support/k ··· e-users/

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha
join:2000-11-25
Outer Limits

MiNdErAsR

Thank you. I did not know that was an option.

OldNavyGuy
join:2018-07-24
Newberg, OR

1 recommendation

OldNavyGuy to kkkk40us

to kkkk40us
Older article, but raises questions whether the holes in ProtonMail have been fixed -

»www.wired.com/2015/10/mr ··· -secure/

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

4 recommendations

Hawk to kkkk40us

Premium Member

to kkkk40us
I've been using the paid version for a couple years for mission critical email. All other email goes to gmail and they can spam the crap out of it if they wish. Haven't had any issues with Protonmail.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

3 recommendations

ZZZZZZZ to kkkk40us

Premium Member

to kkkk40us
Click for full size
This is what you get and then you just click the inserted link with no need to even sign up .

buttoni
Premium Member
join:2005-08-16
Temple, TX

buttoni to onePW

Premium Member

to onePW
Thank you for the info. I had not seen that option on their site yet. Like I said, I don't do much emailing and haven't thoroughly explored their system features.
kkkk40us
join:2001-09-20
Astoria, NY
ARRIS SBG6782-AC

1 recommendation

kkkk40us

thanks for all the replies .

it would seem as no one i know uses proton mail that no email i send will be secure. also if i to send a password to anyone who wants to read a proton email to keep it secure just makes it difficult. do i have to call them with the password?
i want use encrypted email so i am still trying to learn about it and understand how to use it

question for Hawk....for your critical email do you give a password to the receiver? how does it work in practical terms

thanks again for the answers

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

3 recommendations

Shamayim

Premium Member

You can always encrypt your text with PGP before sending it. As long as your recipient has the decrypt key it will be secure end-to-end.

I realize this is a nuisance, but with a little effort it is secure and doable.

Any extra encryption by Protonmail will be icing on the cake.