Search similar:

uniqs

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

1 edit

wizkid6

HBO MAX

Does anybody else wish that HBO Max would finally match Showtime and Epix and offer live streams of their channels (HBO, HBO2, HBO Family)?

Especially with rumors that Amazon will lose HBO from prime channels by the end of the year.

And one saves money by paying annually, too! ($149.99 vs $179.88).

If Amazon does lose HBO and Max doesn't get live streams, it's back to Point Broadband (still have their service, and they *finally* got HBO MAX last year).
reds91185
join:2016-10-31
Royse City, TX

reds91185

Personally, since everything is available on demand I have no need for HBO Max to live stream, but I can see how those that prefer to just turn on the channel and not have to search for something specific to watch would benefit from it.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to wizkid6

MVM

to wizkid6
I think they want to keep streaming "separate" from their linear subscription service. It may even be part of agreements with the various cable/satellite services. I believe you get HBO Max free with an HBO TV subscription, but the services don't want you to pay HBO directly and be able to watch linear HBO for 'free'.

wizkid6
Opelika, AL

2 recommendations

wizkid6

said by andyross:

I think they want to keep streaming "separate" from their linear subscription service. It may even be part of agreements with the various cable/satellite services. I believe you get HBO Max free with an HBO TV subscription, but the services don't want you to pay HBO directly and be able to watch linear HBO for 'free'.

Examples include "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" of shows that are not available until the day after they air.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to wizkid6

to wizkid6
I think Iā€™m going to let my 6 mos promo expire and not renew next month. Not worth the regular monthly price in my household.

linuxcruizer
lost in the minutiae
join:2021-04-05
Area51-JNN13

1 edit

linuxcruizer to wizkid6

to wizkid6
AT&T Internet includes HBO MAX - setup is signing in to your carrier (AT&T) -

Cut the cord before Covid. I get it with the choice of channels (apps) rather than station numbers. It is a major change when the cord is cut.

I remember as a kid, if you had cable, there were no commercials. That is not the case for most apps nowadays. I suppose that is why Amazon, YouTube, etc, along with the Premium Apps (channels) can afford to produce so many movies, shows, etc. You would think, however, that some of that money would be earmarked, especially for the streaming apps, to provide the best intuitive experience. I digress.....

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to wizkid6

Premium Member

to wizkid6
said by wizkid6:

Examples include "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" of shows that are not available until the day after they air.

But is it's contents really something that MUST be watched the night it airs? Do they have live interaction with the watching audience or something?

Or.... does it really not matter you watch it the next day?
Boz
join:2015-12-29
NW Ohio

Boz to linuxcruizer

to linuxcruizer
said by linuxcruizer:

I remember as a kid, if you had cable, there were no commercials.

Wow! When and where was this?

When my family first got cable TV in 1983, near Toledo, OH, it had the exact same amount of commercials as the OTA channels did, just with generally more reliable reception.

Thanks!

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross

MVM

Some cable networks originally had no commercials. AMC is one that I can think of.
reds91185
join:2016-10-31
Royse City, TX
ARRIS S33
TP-Link Archer AX6000

reds91185 to Boz

to Boz
said by Boz:

said by linuxcruizer:

When my family first got cable TV in 1983, near Toledo, OH, it had the exact same amount of commercials as the OTA channels did, just with generally more reliable reception.

Thanks!

I only remember the premium channels like HBO and Showtime not having commercials.
Boz
NW Ohio

Boz to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

Some cable networks originally had no commercials. AMC is one that I can think of.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I guess I just wasn't paying attention to AMC (and others) back then.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

Beachie to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

Back when AMC stood for American Movie Classics and TLC was The Learning Channel
Boz
NW Ohio

Boz to reds91185

to reds91185
said by reds91185:

I only remember the premium channels like HBO and Showtime not having commercials.

Yeah, I was aware of those. But I think that's still mostly true for those kind of premium channels even today.

linuxcruizer
lost in the minutiae
join:2021-04-05
Area51-JNN13

linuxcruizer to Boz

to Boz
said by Boz:

said by linuxcruizer:

Thanks!

When I was growing up, TV was free. TV programming was paid for by advertisment (commercials). Somewhere around 1970, a neighbor down the road had cable put in, and we would go and watch movies sometimes on the weekend.

For the most part the cable TV watching was free of commercials, that was "a nice thing" about cable back then.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

Satch

HBO Max is offering a $10 a month sign up. (With ads at no more than 4 minutes long per hour they claim) or $15 a month without ads. HBO Max is also included free with most HBO provider subscription packages. I love the variety and program options that are not just HBO, but from other companies as well.

Satch

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium Member
join:1999-12-06
Raleigh, NC

scots to wizkid6

Premium Member

to wizkid6
I have HBO Max included free with my AT&T Fiber 1000, and I get the live feeds of HBO, HBO2, HBO Family, and HBO Latino. It requires installing the AT&T Watch TV app and then logging into that with my myAT&T credentials. I don't know if that would work if you get HBO Max through some 3rd party service like Amazon or YouTube TV or whatever.

wizkid6
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

said by scots:

I have HBO Max included free with my AT&T Fiber 1000, and I get the live feeds of HBO, HBO2, HBO Family, and HBO Latino. It requires installing the AT&T Watch TV app and then logging into that with my myAT&T credentials. I don't know if that would work if you get HBO Max through some 3rd party service like Amazon or YouTube TV or whatever.

I do get the live feeds of the same channels via Amazon Prime Channels, but that is being killed on September 6th.

Unfortunately, Prime Channels is/was the only way to get the live feed aside from the cable company, which doesn't even have on demand, but luckily does have HO Max.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena

Premium Member

said by wizkid6:

I do get the live feeds of the same channels via Amazon Prime Channels, but that is being killed on September 6th.

Unfortunately, Prime Channels is/was the only way to get the live feed aside from the cable company, which doesn't even have on demand, but luckily does have HO Max.

It seems to be where the market is headed, everything on demand and only sports/news/special events live.

From the viewer's perspective, this is usually a good thing as people can just pick and choose what they want to watch, when they want to watch it.

Due to the time difference I watched the entire olympics delayed and on-demand (but usually before NBC prime time would air it, I would just watch the full events) and I wouldn't really want it any other way. At least not until the Olympics are in Los Angeles and we can really watch it live.

HBO does have a few shows that are live as I understand it, but it doesn't seem like a show that HAS to be watched live, it is just as accurate and up to date the next morning.

Personally I think Premium channels like HBO are going to hit the streaming market like a ton of bricks and establish themselves as competitors to Netflix and Amazon, and subsequently slowly start to break down their actual channels. They won't be gone till the end of the decade I would imagine, but we'll see things move in the direction of "on demand" type services more and more.