davemanfl

TV ?

Is there anyway to add TV to my Fiber service ? I want the quantum service

terabitz
join:2016-10-16
Thonotosassa, FL

2 recommendations

terabitz

Nope, Frontier is not selling TV service anymore. You would only be able to get AT&T TV through them nowadays.
Comp625
join:2007-12-09
CT

Comp625 to davemanfl

to davemanfl
If you're looking for cable TV-like service, check out YouTube TV, Hulu Live and Sling.

All three are reasonably priced compared to traditional cable TV, and offer similar channels and packages.
davemanfl
join:2008-01-04
North Port, FL

davemanfl

With Locast going away I am looking for a provider that offers sub channels such as Me TV Xfinity in my area Wants $30.00 for locals plus $19.94 Broadcast fee :-(

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Just put up an OTA antenna, that what I have done and get over 100+ channels. Cost was just the antenna, mount and amp to boost the signal for whole house distribution
Dude
join:2018-02-13
Port Richey, FL

2 recommendations

Dude to davemanfl

to davemanfl
You can compare streaming services here »www.suppose.tv/tv

You can filter the channels you want and see what is offered.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

ILpt4U to terabitz

Premium Member

to terabitz
said by terabitz:

Nope, Frontier is not selling TV service anymore. You would only be able to get AT&T TV through them nowadays.

ATT TV is no more. It had rebranded (again) to DirecTV Stream
Mr Man
join:2015-07-29
Cartersville, GA

2 recommendations

Mr Man to davemanfl

to davemanfl
I got word that Frontier is about to pull the plug on Frontier (FiOS) TV very soon. The headend at Temple Terrace was never part of the deal with Verizon and I heard from a good source that soon we will be notified that the plug will be pulled and to get another provider. When this happens, it is the best time to redo packages, increase internet speeds and go with a streaming provider since those with Quantum or a triple play cannot renegotiate pricing. I strongly hope that Frontier is bought out by a better managed company with better leadership and a view for growth.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

If memory serves, we are not serviced by the Temple Terrace Headend.
Video is fed from the Fort Wayne Indiana Headend.

I remember having video issues around the conversion time.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to davemanfl

to davemanfl
Tv as we’ve known it in the pay is really no longer anymore due to trends in technology and pricing, along with millions now deciding to move on from the cord.

I’m sure they see it as not very profitable at all anymore due to such high costs and demands from the networks. They would indeed be better off doing away with their own service and focus on the monies going out for that and move it over to moving right along to further progress on adding as well as expanding fiber much quicker.
transit54
join:2018-07-15
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

transit54 to Mr Man

to Mr Man
said by Mr Man:

I strongly hope that Frontier is bought out by a better managed company with better leadership and a view for growth.

The new leadership seems to have a pretty solid growth plan. Take a look at what they presented earlier this year for Investor Day: »s1.q4cdn.com/144417568/f ··· -(2).pdf

While they were headed in the wrong direction for many years, it seems that they are now on the right track with a focus on a massive expansion of their fiber network.

IMO, if they were going to get bought out it would have happened around the time of their bankruptcy before they relisted as a public company.
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus to Mr Man

to Mr Man
I really hope this isn't the case. I have never been a streaming fan and still use TiVo and Ultimate TV. I definitely wouldn't switch to Spectrum though so I guess I would dump TV entirely.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to davemanfl

Premium Member

to davemanfl
If they're going to drop TV, they should at least work something out with DirecTV Stream to get it bundled into the pricing, and included as one complete bill. Then integrate it into their website order page, instead of what they're doing now which is just sending you off to DirecTV directly with no mention on the order page. This way they can sort of pretend they have TV services while not losing the customers that would otherwise step away without TV.
Mr Man
Cartersville, GA

Mr Man

It appears that AT&T TV is now Direct TV stream and was advised that this is the better one to have, although I have been looking at YouTube TV and Hulu. If you redo the Frontier internet phone bundle then add the price of streaming service, it will keep you way under the current Frontier pricing of having all 3 services. As it is, I pay almost $300 and see myself watching streaming content more than linear TV. FiOS TV as we now know it as Frontier TV is a money pit.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

2 recommendations

billhere to transit54

to transit54
That growth plan looks impressive but I don't see any mention of TV in it. Based on recent advertising in California and at their website it looks like all Frontier is offering to new customers is Internet and possibly phone.
dhudson1984
Charleston, WV

1 recommendation

dhudson1984 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
It would absolutely be best for them to drop it as cable companies have been losing out bad on tv the last few years and it hasn’t been looking any better for them to profit much from either. Seeing as they have struck a big fiber deal with AT&T and AT&T owning the former Directv, now Directv Stream, I could see them in a deal with packaging that with FiberOptic.
transit54
join:2018-07-15
Washington, DC

4 recommendations

transit54 to billhere

to billhere
said by billhere:

That growth plan looks impressive but I don't see any mention of TV in it. Based on recent advertising in California and at their website it looks like all Frontier is offering to new customers is Internet and possibly phone.

I am sure they do not plan to continue to offer TV long term. More and more providers are looking at dropping TV from their lineup. Verizon offers YouTube TV right alongside their own TV product and many smaller players do not offer it at all. I believe CenturyLink dropped it last year (at least in most markets). I would be shocked if Frontier was still offering TV 5-6 years from now.
steffiepep
join:2021-05-07
Riverview, FL

1 recommendation

steffiepep to Lt Belspur

to Lt Belspur
The last I was aware of is that both the Ft Wayne and the Temple Terrace She's (super head end) provide signals. They switch back and forth at the Vho's based on rain fade, sun fade, etc. Verizon owned both She's and provided the signal to the Frontier Vho's.
steffiepep

1 recommendation

steffiepep to davemanfl

to davemanfl
I dropped TV from my setup and and went to DirectTv stream for video. Added a OTA for the additional local channels. This change save me about $70 a month and now I have 500/500 internet instead of 150/150. I picked a package from DirectTV that essentially has the same channels that I had with Frontier.

Anon2d4f7
@47.150.193.x

Anon2d4f7

Anon

Im thinking of switching when directvs new streaming box comes out in december,would you mind telling me how much they charged you for 500/500 speed? I currently pay $160.00 for extreme package bundled with 50/50 speed.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Anon2d4f7 :

Im thinking of switching when directvs new streaming box comes out in december,

What's the new box?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Anon2d4f7

Premium Member

to Anon2d4f7
said by Anon2d4f7 :

Im thinking of switching when directvs new streaming box comes out

Why, Roko ( no ads ) or amazon fire have years of proven reliable service for streaming

Anon2d4f7
@47.150.193.x

1 recommendation

Anon2d4f7

Anon

the new directv box has been mentioned on avs forum and at&t community it will have a new chip A12 ? anyway i much rather have the directv stream box because it uses channel numbers which i've gotten used to from using the last 50 years or so.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Anon2d4f7 :

anyway i much rather have the directv stream box because it uses channel numbers which i've gotten used to from using the last 50 years or so.

That's really the only thing that makes me consider DirecTV Stream as well. I think the channel numbers are fairly important if you actually watch live TV often, more than just do casual viewing/on-demand. It's a big ease of use function.
steffiepep
join:2021-05-07
Riverview, FL

1 recommendation

steffiepep to Anon2d4f7

to Anon2d4f7
said by Anon2d4f7 :

Im thinking of switching when directvs new streaming box comes out in december,would you mind telling me how much they charged you for 500/500 speed? I currently pay $160.00 for extreme package bundled with 50/50 speed.

I'm paying $39.99 for 500/500. $10 discount for the first year and I'm using my own router.
steffiepep

steffiepep to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

said by Anon2d4f7 :

Im thinking of switching when directvs new streaming box comes out

Why, Roko ( no ads ) or amazon fire have years of proven reliable service for streaming

I got a streaming box for my main Tv. The app they have for Samsung is kind of klugey and the box is much more user friendly than either the Roku or Fire versions of the app.
Mr Man
Cartersville, GA

Mr Man to transit54

to transit54
John Stratton left Verizon because Lowell did not name him successor and retired. He was on the wireless side and part of the team that transitioned Verizon to Frontier. The preso sounds like the same thing Verizon promised the former GTE area when they were going to deploy FiOS in 2004. Interesting. Focused on technology rather than convenience ( justification for a higher monthly price). The dates they show on the preso are way into the future and to be honest, they have a long way to regain market share in the former GTE areas. And notice there is no mention of TV. I am cautiously hopeful that they finally got their shit together and make things right. I will ride out FiOS TV to the end, then see if they got their billing and ordering platforms updated, renegotiate digi phone and internet, then go with a streaming service for TV. Cross fingers!
Mr Man

Mr Man to brutus

to brutus
It is real. My sources are not second hand or hearsay. It is a done deal. FiOS TV as we know it will be gone soon. In fact, when Quantum was deployed, I stayed on the older boxes while those that went with Quantum suffered, left to go with cable and those still with Quantum are struggling with the Arris STB issues that came with it. I would start looking at streaming services, try them out, see what they offer and price them out. I have FiOS TV, yet I have been watching content from YouTube, Netflix and Amazon more and more only because there is really nothing decent to watch when I want to watch TV. Most offer local channels and if needed, a really good antenna will net you local TV for free.
Mr Man

Mr Man to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Good luck with that. Frontier offers TV from their competitor Dish. However, I was told that DirecTV Stream is pretty good. There are many streaming services. I still want the one I do not have to pay a sports fee. Otherwise I am happy with YouTube, Netfix and Amazon.
Mr Man

Mr Man to billhere

to billhere
Yeppers, I was hoping I was not the only one that noticed. I will say that even with their f*ck-ups, Frontier internet fiber is the best. I still have the old 150/150 because if I upgrade, they will take me to the cleaners with pricing and I cannot play canel/reorder because I will lose FiOS TV. Ultimate TV, 150/150 3 STB and a MRDVR I pay about $270 a month. Insane, but the alternative is Spectrum. Nah!