Search similar:

uniqs
AppFarmer
join:2016-05-24
Salinas, CA
·Charter

AppFarmer

does wireless bundling improve rates

The headline on the home page about wireless family plans prompted this. I'm currently paying $30/line for Cricket, which is the same rate Charter charges. One of my phones is not compatible with the network, though the other one is and could be transferred.

Is there any actual savings on an Internet-only plan (no TV/landline) when adding mobile lines or is their mobile rate the only "savings"?

Thanks

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

4 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

No bundling savings on internet or TV for having mobile.
AppFarmer
Salinas, CA

AppFarmer

that's what I thought

thanks for verifying

deaddyfreddy
LET'S GO BRANDON!
join:2019-12-26

1 recommendation

deaddyfreddy to AppFarmer

to AppFarmer
The purpose of Comcast's and Charter's mobile phone services are as a retention method of sorts. Since both require you to have internet through them, it makes it harder for people to leave who have other options for internet access. With the thought being do I leave the Comcast/Charter for internet and give up my cheap cell phone service or do I stick it out.
AppFarmer
Salinas, CA
·Charter

1 recommendation

AppFarmer

ironically, I would likely be less inclined to consider their cell service if there were other competitive Internet providers (maybe if one service or the other were essentially free)

In this case, it would force me to buy a new phone, so not competitive at all. Only a free phone would achieve price parity, so I guess it isn't for me.
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

unoriginal to AppFarmer

Premium Member

to AppFarmer
Something to keep in mind as well is that Charter resells access on Verizon's network while Cricket uses AT&T. Before switching I would take a look at the maps in your area to see if there are any spots where AT&T has coverage but VZW might not.
AppFarmer
Salinas, CA
·Charter

AppFarmer

said by unoriginal:

Something to keep in mind as well is that Charter resells access on Verizon's network while Cricket uses AT&T. Before switching I would take a look at the maps in your area to see if there are any spots where AT&T has coverage but VZW might not.

they're all equally bad, actually. I might experience somewhat fewer dropped calls with VZW but not enough to warrant shelling out for a new phone.
jag72
join:2018-09-30
united state

jag72 to AppFarmer

to AppFarmer
If your leaving a provider on any phone in the past few years, I would ensure they unlocked my phone prior so I would be able to activate it on the new carrier. Most phones now support all of the major carriers without having to get a new phone.
xpxp2002
join:2014-08-29
NEO

xpxp2002 to AppFarmer

to AppFarmer
said by AppFarmer:

ironically, I would likely be less inclined to consider their cell service if there were other competitive Internet providers (maybe if one service or the other were essentially free)

Same. I can't imagine choosing to stay with Spectrum and pay their sky-high home broadband price just to keep their decently-priced mobile service.

I use Spectrum Mobile as a "backup" SIM since AT&T has so many congestion problems in my area. It has come in handy a few times this year already. You really can't beat access to Verizon's network, including unlimited UWB, for $14/mo.

But if I had the option to go to AT&T or Windstream Fiber at my particular address, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to drop Spectrum Mobile in order to leave.

Anonf1888
@47.13.109.x

Anonf1888 to jag72

Anon

to jag72
said by jag72:

If your leaving a provider on any phone in the past few years, I would ensure they unlocked my phone prior so I would be able to activate it on the new carrier. Most phones now support all of the major carriers without having to get a new phone.

While Spectrum take all iPhone releases in the last few years and most Samsung's too and Pixels since the Pixel 3 they don't take all Verizon branded phones. They need to do a firmware upgrade( Comcast does this too ). Their service is wi-fi first then mobile which is the opposite of how carriers work. This is to save the money they pay to Verizon and why they bought CBRS licenses
toolman1990
join:2019-06-26
Cincinnati, OH
·MetroPCS

toolman1990 to AppFarmer

to AppFarmer
I am planning on dumping all of Spectrum’s services over their decision not to allow existing customers to have multi line discounts. I am planning on switch to Verizon LTE Home Internet and just paying the $20.00 a month penalty on the mobile side per line until my devices are paid off.
AppFarmer
Salinas, CA
·Charter

AppFarmer to jag72

to jag72
said by jag72:

I have unlocked my phone already, when switching from AT&T to Cricket (yeah, they require that). It's an iPhone 7 that just is not compatible with Verizon's frequencies. I can jump to T-Mo's towers but haven't had a compelling reason to. (Mint is interesting but not compelling)

deaddyfreddy
LET'S GO BRANDON!
join:2019-12-26

deaddyfreddy to xpxp2002

to xpxp2002
In the real world, people don't give a shit about fiber. I know so many people who could get Fios but I know of only two households that have it currently and I know people who've had it and switched back to Spectrum.

On the wireless side, a 2 line unlimited plan on VZW is on average $140 plus taxes and fees, compared to $60 on Spectrum Mobile. That a nearly $100/month swing.
AppFarmer
Salinas, CA
·Charter

AppFarmer

said by deaddyfreddy:

On the wireless side, a 2 line unlimited plan on VZW is on average $140 plus taxes and fees, compared to $60 on Spectrum Mobile. That a nearly $100/month swing.

yup - if I were on a regular postpaid VZW account, I'd likely consider Spectrum's offer to be a good deal - unless I looked at Visible, perhaps.

I'm in AT&T's ADSL (not even VDSL) footprint with no likelihood of ever seeing fiber
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz to AppFarmer

to AppFarmer
Visible offers Verizon wireless at a lower price. Its owned by Verizon. 40 a month and does not require a specific internet provider.
AppFarmer
Salinas, CA
·Charter

1 recommendation

AppFarmer

said by dplantz:

Visible offers Verizon wireless at a lower price. Its owned by Verizon. 40 a month and does not require a specific internet provider.

thanks for not reading. (sarcasm)

I already am paying less for Cricket than what you suggest for Visible and my phone is incompatible. (my statement was "if I were on a regular postpaid VZW account...")

This thread has run its course, I think

Anonf1888
@47.13.109.x

1 recommendation

Anonf1888 to dplantz

Anon

to dplantz
said by dplantz:

AND as bonus they let hackers have your info for free. In many places Charter and Comcast are the only ISPs anyway. I mean sure at&t 10 Mbps DSL I guess is a choice, but not really. So it's Charter or nothing. So since I have Charter nothing wrong with getting Spectrum Mobile