Search similar:

uniqs

Chester2
join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA

Chester2

[VOIPo.COM] Set up UniFi Talk with Voipo

Click for full size
I would appreciate help getting my new UniFi Talk Phone Touch Max working with my VOIPo voip service. It was fairly easy to get outgoing calls working but so far I can't receive incoming calls.

For outgoing calls I used:
proxy - sip.voipwelcome.com
password - ••••••••
register - true (not sure if this is needed)
username - MyPhoneNumber
I checked "Handle all outgoing calls by default."
I entered my phone number in the DID numbers section. Not sure if I should use E.164 format or 10 digit?

For incoming calls VOIPo says:
Your VOIPo account is able to receive incoming calls by SIP address using the following format: sip:phoneNumber@incoming.voipwelcome.com (Replace Number with your 10 digit VOIPo number.)
I am not sure how to enter the above into Unifi? Also, UniFi has a section to enter ACL IP addresses. I have no idea what ACL IP addresses VOIPo uses signaling and media subnets?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I'm using Bria with Voipo, and I have sip.voipwelcome.com in the domain field, with the proxy field left blank. I don't see a domain field on your image though. I also have "send outgoing via" set to Domain, rather than Proxy.
PX Eliezer
join:2021-08-03
Tranquility, NJ

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer to Chester2

to Chester2
I thought that the UniFi Talk Phone Touch Max was intended for use with the UniFi phone service and/or the UniFi Talk app or at least a PBX?

-----

Voipo customer support should be available now, and they are in the same time zone as you.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

3 recommendations

OzarkEdge

The Unifi docs reference configuration for other SIP providers... but the information is sparse and obtuse. Every time I look at Ubiquiti products/documentation I cringe and run away... I can't see why anyone would want to struggle so much to be their customer.

OE
PX Eliezer
Tranquility, NJ

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer

said by OzarkEdge:

The Unifi docs reference configuration for other SIP providers... but the information is sparse and obtuse. Every time I look at Ubiquiti products/documentation I cringe and run away... I can't see why anyone would want to struggle so much to be their customer.

I know, they make Cisco look like child's play. I think that Unifi is really intended for corporate environments.

And the Voipo company, while they do allow BYOD, mainly is not a BYOD provider.

No offense to the OP, but the combination of Unifi and Voipo seems quite challenging to say the least.
OzarkEdge
USA

2 recommendations

OzarkEdge to Chester2

to Chester2
said by Chester2:

Your VOIPo account is able to receive incoming calls by SIP address using the following format: sip:phoneNumber@incoming.voipwelcome.com (Replace Number with your 10 digit VOIPo number.)

I believe the format: sip:phoneNumber@incoming.voipwelcome.com is for routing a SIP call to your voipwelcome.com SIP account... not to your user agent/IP phone.

OE
PX Eliezer
Tranquility, NJ

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer

said by OzarkEdge:

said by Chester2:

I believe the format: sip:phoneNumber@incoming.voipwelcome.com is for routing a SIP call to your voipwelcome.com SIP account... not to your user agent/IP phone.

OE

That is my understanding as well, it's a separate issue.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

1 recommendation

Eagles1221 to PX Eliezer

to PX Eliezer
CCNP here. Played with USG, SW60 and the POE cloud key controller. Would rather stay in the Cisco space. APs are easy, VM for Controller is nice, cloud key and USG are annoying TBH.
carlm
join:2014-09-29
united state

2 recommendations

carlm to Chester2

to Chester2
I have no experience with UniFi Talk but here's what I have found out browsing the Web.

Do you also have a UniFi OS Console (Dream Machine Pro or Cloud Key Gen2 Plus)?
UniFi Talk Phones are "managed" by the UniFi Talk application, which runs on a UniFi OS Console.
And what is the Talk application? It's the FreeSWITCH PBX with a GUI.

I don't know if a UniFi Talk Phone has sufficient features to work directly with an ITSP. When used with the UniFi Talk application as intended the phone is just an extension on the same LAN as the FreeSWITCH PBX. That requires less of the phone -- no NAT issues, for one thing.

Here's a good video on setting up the UniFi Talk application (not phone) to register with Telnyx:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 5qZpF6nQ

Here's another video from the same outfit on setting up the UniFi Talk application (not phone) to use IP authentication instead of registration (not applicable to VOIPO AFAIK):

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· J2FBF1MA

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

1 recommendation

Chester2

I still can make but not receive calls.

My device connection in VOIPo's VPanel shows like this:

Username:MyPhoneNumber
Received:N/A
Contact:sip:gw+VOIPo@MyPublicIP:53631;transport=udp;gw=VOIPo
Expires:2021-11-15 14:35:14
User Agent:FreeSWITCH-mod_sofia/1.10.5-release~64bit
Connected To:VOIPo BYOD

UniFi Talk uses Freeswitch as the backend. I can create any field/value that Freeswitch recognizes. I have zero knowlege of Freeswitch and am currently just taking guesses in the dark based on other VOIP providers settings. I could be missing a necessary field/value.

The problem could also be setting all the necessary ACL IP addresses to allow VOIPo to talk to my system. From what I've learned I need to enter all of VOIPo's signaling IPs and Media Subnets. I have no idea what they are.

Currently I have looked up and added the following ACL IP address ranges for sip.voipwelcome.com, incoming.voipwelcome.com, and voipwelcome.com:
209.212.145.160/32
52.116.223.125/32
108.168.146.127/32

I chose to go with the Ubiquiti system for my home network as I have an old sprawling California adobe house. The walls are 7 to 10 inches thick solid brick throughout. The attic is the only place to pull cables and a POE system seemed to fit my situation. So far the WIFI is excellent. I'm setting up their Protect camera system and it is worlds better than my current Arlo system. I'd like to use their phone system as it is very nice and integrated into the system. Do to past work with VOIPo I have service paid up for the next 40 years and would prefer to use that then to pay for Ubiquiti's service.

carlm See Profile Thanks for the videos. I have watched them in my research and they were a big help in getting outgoing calls working. I am using the Dream Machine Pro SE.
Chester2

1 recommendation

Chester2

Click for full size
Ok, now things are a bit wierd.

If I call:
Landline -> VOIP: nothing happens.
VOIP -> Landline: Landline rings
After that if I again call Landline -> VOIP: VOIP rings
But if I try calling VOIP from a different phone nothing happens.
OzarkEdge
USA

1 recommendation

OzarkEdge

How were you using your Voipo service before the new UniFi Talk Phone Touch Max?

OE
carlm
united state

2 recommendations

carlm to Chester2

to Chester2
See if Landline -> VOIP works reliably if you place the call within 30 seconds of hanging up VOIP -> Landline. If so, you probably have a NAT connection tracking timeout on your router. The best fix for that is NAT keepalive in FreeSWITCH. But don't ask me how to do that. :-(

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

Chester2 to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
I have the VOIPo issued Grandstream. It is connected and working.
Chester2

Chester2 to carlm

to carlm
Landline -> VOIP works reliably from any phone for at least 2 minutes after placing an outbound VOIP -> Landline call. If I wait 5 minutes inbound calls stop working.
carlm
united state

2 edits

2 recommendations

carlm

I'm pretty sure it's a NAT connection tracking timeout. Linux systems typically have a 180 second timeout for UDP "established connections" (multiple packets sent and received). (BSD systems using pf have a 30 second timeout.)

See if there's anything in the Talk app about NAT keepalive. If not, try some Google searches on things like FreeSWITCH NAT keepalive.

[ EDIT ]

As a last resort, experiment to pin down the NAT timeout and set the registration interval to 10 or 15 seconds less than that. ITSPs don't like short registration intervals (heavy load on their servers).

[ EDIT ]

In the Asterisk world NAT keepalive is usually accomplished with Qualification (SIP OPTIONS request/response).

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

Chester2

I think you are correct. I added "ping" with a value of "20" and so far it seems to be working. I've waited 30 minutes between incoming calls and they still go through.
Chester2

4 recommendations

Chester2

Click for full size
For anyone that is interested I have my Ubiquity UniFi Talk phone working with VOIPo. Incoming and outgoing calls work great. I posted the settings I am using. The redactions are all my phone number. To be upfront I know next to nothing about voip or UniFi. Some of the settings may not be optimal and others may not be needed at all. I just experimented until I found a combination that works. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
carlm
united state

1 edit

2 recommendations

carlm

incoming.voipwelcome.com is for someone else to send a call to a VOIPo customer without using the PSTN. If your VOIPo phone # were 12125551212, I could call you for free from a softphone by calling 12125551212@incoming.voipwelcome.com.

Your contact address is not correct. Probably best to remove that field: FreeSWITCH will probably figure out what to put there. The username portion (to the left of '@') usually doesn't matter. The host portion should be your public IP address, which FreeSWITCH, if configured correctly for NAT, knows better than you do.

ACLs are IPs or networks that should be allowed through your firewall to your PBX.
AFAIK the only ACL you should have is the IP address of sip.voipwelcome.com, which AFAIK was inserted automatically for you.
incoming.voipwelcome.com definitely doesn't belong there.
voipwelcome.com? I don't know what that's for. The authentication realm perhaps? Unless it's a source IP from which VOIPo sends to your PBX, it doesn't belong in the ACL.

[ EDIT ]

VOIPo's website may have a generic configuration guide, or a PBX guide, that tells you what some of these fields should be set to. Have a look.
PX Eliezer
Tranquility, NJ

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer

said by carlm:

VOIPo's website may have a generic configuration guide, or a PBX guide, that tells you what some of these fields should be set to. Have a look.

Good point, but their site is very sparse with such info, being that (unlike some other providers) BYOD is tolerated rather than supported or encouraged.

That's not a knock on Voipo, rather an observation that's been consistent over the years (and being that they ship ATA's to everyone as part of the price).

It's like saying that KFC is strong on chicken while McD is strong on burgers.

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

1 recommendation

Chester2 to carlm

to carlm
Click for full size
I followed you suggestions and deleted the "contact" filed and the IP addresses for voipwelcome.com and incoming.voipwelcome.com. Calls continue to work with this paired down setup.

I hope this helps someone in the future. VOIPo allows you to BYOD but they offer no assistance other than to provide credentials to register the device. Ubiquity allows 3'rd party VOIP but offers no assistance with any service other than their own.
Chester2

1 recommendation

Chester2

I found that occasionally my phone was disconnecting from VOIPo. I changed the "ping" value to 15 as there was a similar value in the VOIPo Grandstream configuration. Phone has worked great for weeks now.

andunn
join:2001-09-06
Willard, MO

andunn

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but is there an advantage to bringing/supplying your own device? I have had VOIPo for 7 years now and always used the one they have supplied me.
PX Eliezer
Tranquility, NJ

4 recommendations

PX Eliezer

As long as everything is good for you, there is no reason to change devices!

Most customers of Voipo (and similar companies such as ViaTalk, 1-VoIP.com, etc) use the company-supplied devices, to good effect.

Likewise Voipo permits BYOD but it's not really their main orientation.

-----

Those of us who do BYOD (with BYOD companies such as Callcentric, Anveo, Voip.MS, etc) fall into one or more of the following: enjoy the tweaking, want to customize some features, use additional features, use multiple providers at the same time, do SIP calling, use IP phones rather than ATA, etc.
carlm
united state

3 recommendations

carlm to andunn

to andunn
PX gave you a good answer. The only things I would add:

1. If you want to try BYOD you would have an easier time of it with a BYOD provider. VOIPo doesn't support BYOD. BYOD providers like Callcentric and VoIP.ms have configuration info (not always correct, unfortunately) for many different devices and provide tech support for device configuration.

2. If you want more responses start a new thread with a descriptive subject line.

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

2 recommendations

Chester2 to andunn

to andunn
said by andunn:

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but is there an advantage to bringing/supplying your own device? I have had VOIPo for 7 years now and always used the one they have supplied me.

I've used VOIPo for nearly 10 years using their supplied Grandstream ATA. It worked great at my old house. I just plugged it into the house phone wiring and used my old phones that had been attached to my old land line.

I upgraded my new house to the Ubiquiti Unifi system that does wifi, surveillance and voip in one server. Their voip phone hardware does neat stuff like having video screens that I can watch my surveillance cameras on.

So to answer your question my advantage to bring my own device is the added features an IP phone brings.
Chester2

2 recommendations

Chester2

Update: I found that occasionally my phone was still disconnecting from VOIPo. I enabled the Static Signaling Port in the Unifi settings and that seems to be the final piece of the puzzle. Hope this helps someone.
Chester2

2 recommendations

Chester2

After much experimentation and looking at configs for other SIP providers I think I finally have VOIPo working. The additional needed fields seemed to be retry_seconds and expire-seconds (notice the underscore and dash as they seem to be important). Some of the fields (i.e.: realm, ping, and register) may not be needed but I put them in from suggestions and since everything is working I haven't felt the need to remove them. I also turned on the Static Signaling Port. I hope this helps someone with VOIPo or another provider.