uniqs

Chester2
join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA

4 recommendations

Chester2

Re: [VOIPo.COM] Set up UniFi Talk with Voipo

Click for full size
For anyone that is interested I have my Ubiquity UniFi Talk phone working with VOIPo. Incoming and outgoing calls work great. I posted the settings I am using. The redactions are all my phone number. To be upfront I know next to nothing about voip or UniFi. Some of the settings may not be optimal and others may not be needed at all. I just experimented until I found a combination that works. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
carlm
join:2014-09-29
united state

1 edit

2 recommendations

carlm

incoming.voipwelcome.com is for someone else to send a call to a VOIPo customer without using the PSTN. If your VOIPo phone # were 12125551212, I could call you for free from a softphone by calling 12125551212@incoming.voipwelcome.com.

Your contact address is not correct. Probably best to remove that field: FreeSWITCH will probably figure out what to put there. The username portion (to the left of '@') usually doesn't matter. The host portion should be your public IP address, which FreeSWITCH, if configured correctly for NAT, knows better than you do.

ACLs are IPs or networks that should be allowed through your firewall to your PBX.
AFAIK the only ACL you should have is the IP address of sip.voipwelcome.com, which AFAIK was inserted automatically for you.
incoming.voipwelcome.com definitely doesn't belong there.
voipwelcome.com? I don't know what that's for. The authentication realm perhaps? Unless it's a source IP from which VOIPo sends to your PBX, it doesn't belong in the ACL.

[ EDIT ]

VOIPo's website may have a generic configuration guide, or a PBX guide, that tells you what some of these fields should be set to. Have a look.
PX Eliezer
join:2021-08-03
Tranquility, NJ

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer

said by carlm:

VOIPo's website may have a generic configuration guide, or a PBX guide, that tells you what some of these fields should be set to. Have a look.

Good point, but their site is very sparse with such info, being that (unlike some other providers) BYOD is tolerated rather than supported or encouraged.

That's not a knock on Voipo, rather an observation that's been consistent over the years (and being that they ship ATA's to everyone as part of the price).

It's like saying that KFC is strong on chicken while McD is strong on burgers.

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

1 recommendation

Chester2 to carlm

to carlm
Click for full size
I followed you suggestions and deleted the "contact" filed and the IP addresses for voipwelcome.com and incoming.voipwelcome.com. Calls continue to work with this paired down setup.

I hope this helps someone in the future. VOIPo allows you to BYOD but they offer no assistance other than to provide credentials to register the device. Ubiquity allows 3'rd party VOIP but offers no assistance with any service other than their own.
Chester2

1 recommendation

Chester2

I found that occasionally my phone was disconnecting from VOIPo. I changed the "ping" value to 15 as there was a similar value in the VOIPo Grandstream configuration. Phone has worked great for weeks now.

andunn
join:2001-09-06
Willard, MO

andunn

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but is there an advantage to bringing/supplying your own device? I have had VOIPo for 7 years now and always used the one they have supplied me.
PX Eliezer
join:2021-08-03
Tranquility, NJ

4 recommendations

PX Eliezer

As long as everything is good for you, there is no reason to change devices!

Most customers of Voipo (and similar companies such as ViaTalk, 1-VoIP.com, etc) use the company-supplied devices, to good effect.

Likewise Voipo permits BYOD but it's not really their main orientation.

-----

Those of us who do BYOD (with BYOD companies such as Callcentric, Anveo, Voip.MS, etc) fall into one or more of the following: enjoy the tweaking, want to customize some features, use additional features, use multiple providers at the same time, do SIP calling, use IP phones rather than ATA, etc.
carlm
join:2014-09-29
united state

3 recommendations

carlm to andunn

to andunn
PX gave you a good answer. The only things I would add:

1. If you want to try BYOD you would have an easier time of it with a BYOD provider. VOIPo doesn't support BYOD. BYOD providers like Callcentric and VoIP.ms have configuration info (not always correct, unfortunately) for many different devices and provide tech support for device configuration.

2. If you want more responses start a new thread with a descriptive subject line.

Chester2
Menlo Park, CA

2 recommendations

Chester2 to andunn

to andunn
said by andunn:

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but is there an advantage to bringing/supplying your own device? I have had VOIPo for 7 years now and always used the one they have supplied me.

I've used VOIPo for nearly 10 years using their supplied Grandstream ATA. It worked great at my old house. I just plugged it into the house phone wiring and used my old phones that had been attached to my old land line.

I upgraded my new house to the Ubiquiti Unifi system that does wifi, surveillance and voip in one server. Their voip phone hardware does neat stuff like having video screens that I can watch my surveillance cameras on.

So to answer your question my advantage to bring my own device is the added features an IP phone brings.
Chester2

2 recommendations

Chester2

Update: I found that occasionally my phone was still disconnecting from VOIPo. I enabled the Static Signaling Port in the Unifi settings and that seems to be the final piece of the puzzle. Hope this helps someone.