Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike

Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare

said by takeahike:

It's good that you and some others have had good experiences with Turbo Tax. Actually, my experience using it to prepare my returns have also been positive, and I have therefore used it for many years. But it's just in the last two years or so that they have gone overboard and abused the activation process in my opinion. There can be little doubt of the existence of this problem, since as you can see from the first post here I can not even access versions from the last two years anymore despite my prior ability to do so. It is lucky for me that I don't need to do so at present, having completed my returns for those years before this problem arose, but I'd be at a true loss if the situation were otherwise.

I'm the only one who used Turbo Tax, so I've never encountered problems with activation more that once. I install it in a Windows 10 VirtualBox virtual machine. This computer runs on Slackware. I was not all that happy with this Activation Code either but; it is what it is. Trying to order the download version is not all that straight forward either. Takes a few attempts before you get to the right place. The price keeps going up too. Eventually I suspect I will have to find an alternative as I have no plans on going with Windows 11, ever. I don't like doing my taxes online, but eventually I supposed I will have no choice. It was just a few years ago, I relented and filed online.

Again, I'm sorry for the mix-up and hope it won't repeat itself later down the line.

You have nothing to be sorry for. You gave me your explanation, I'm cool with that. I wasn't upset, just wondered is all. Thanks for the reply.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

1 edit

takeahike

Premium Member

Re: TurboTax/IRS nightmare

Click for full size
IRS letter
Got this letter from them yesterday, responding to my requests in March just to change my e-mail address. Another 60 days of bureaucratic bull just to change an e-mail address? Of course I've already exhausted all my efforts, so whatever they do won't even matter at this point: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

At your income level, you should have VITA do your taxes for free. You don't need TurboTax.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

1 edit

1 recommendation

takeahike

Premium Member

I have a considerable background in tax law from law school, so it's pretty much a breeze for me. Don't really need any help, especially from people who I could clean up the floor with when it comes to tax matters. The only reason I've used Turbo Tax is because my girlfriend got it for herself. I use it just for the convenience of it. It's of course supposed to be for five systems, but who wants to discuss that anymore? See, of course: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

2 recommendations

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Been following this thread for months... Only to see if it would ever been resolved......
Seriously, it doesn't seem like you are "breezing" through this at all!!!!

Sounds to me, (and others), like you need a change of software for next tax season, or you need to adapt to the 'rules' your present software uses.... or fix the email issue you now have... I do wish you Luck with resolving them all!

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

said by Jan Janowski:

Sounds to me, (and others), like you need a change of software for next tax season, or you need to adapt to the 'rules' your present software uses.... or fix the email issue you now have... I do wish you Luck with resolving them all!

I can't adapt to their rules for use of the software because their rules are that you can't use the software if you have what I suppose to them is the utter gall to just perform routine maintenance on your system. It's fine, because I can use the software within the time that's given and before they pull their locking me out bullshit with what can only be described as illegal and unethical tactics. As far as the email issue with the IRS, this has already been completely resolved to my satisfaction, since I reactivated the old email address and went through the whole spiel with them, only to get nowhere as a result of their grossly misleading representations. It doesn't even matter what the IRS does at this point, again mainly because of my reactivation of the old email address that took me through everything with them and that therefore also of course made the changing of the email address a moot point. The thread was revived only because I posted the letter that I received from them that was really just a matter of curiosity. See: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare for an in-depth explanation of how the matter was resolved for me. By the way, thank you very much for your concern--it is much appreciated!

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
said by takeahike:

Got this letter from them yesterday, responding to my requests in March just to change my e-mail address. Another 60 days of bureaucratic bull just to change an e-mail address?

Rest assured! Help is on the way!

»nypost.com/2022/08/10/ir ··· ericans/

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

1 edit

takeahike

Premium Member

Click for full size
IRS letter
Got another letter. After over five months they tell me that they can't change an e-mail address??? What can they do, besides nothing??? They should change their name to the Internal Revenue DisService! As I said before, the matter was all resolved when I reactivated the e-mail address that they currently have, so it doesn't even matter anymore and is a moot point. But what if it did? What on Earth is preventing them from changing an e-mail address? They have a form for changing your physical address. Have e-mail addresses become the Holy Grail?

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

DrStrange

Premium Member

There's probably an arcane rule about changing info which isn't covered on a form, and there's no form. Catch-22. :-|

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

4 edits

1 recommendation

takeahike

Premium Member

Click for full size
IRS address change
Click for full size
e-mail address change letter
said by DrStrange:

There's probably an arcane rule about changing info which isn't covered on a form, and there's no form. Catch-22.

I could swear that I read somewhere where they would accept just a signed letter changing your address (no form needed). Actually, now see webpage for many different ways (note that it says that those are the ways to notify them of your new address but doesn't say that they will actually change it!). So, why not for an e-mail address (I sent them a 'signed statement')? Are you supposed to stay with the same e-mail address for life? What if they told you you couldn't move? Would be unconstitutional under ruling in Shapiro vs. Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969). See: »constitutionallawreporte ··· son-1969 »caselaw.findlaw.com/us-s ··· 618.html »www.lexisnexis.com/commu ··· thompson.

Mr. Justice BRENNAN delivered the opinion of the Court.

RULE: "In moving from state to state or to the District of Columbia a person exercises a constitutional right, and any classification which serves to penalize the exercise of that right, unless shown to be necessary to promote a compelling governmental interest, is unconstitutional."

winchester73
join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC

1 recommendation

winchester73 to takeahike

to takeahike
Perhaps your Member of Congress could help?

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Thanks, but as I said above I don't personally need anything resolved at this time but it's just annoying as hell that they carry on the way they do and get away with it with our tax dollars keeping them in power. Personal resolution explained here: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

3 recommendations

DrStrange to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Had a look at 8822 and the procedures surrounding it. I believe you have found a genuine Catch-22. As someone stated already, this is a job for your CongressCritter. No, really.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

4 edits

takeahike

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

Had a look at 8822 and the procedures surrounding it. I believe you have found a genuine Catch-22. As someone stated already, this is a job for your CongressCritter. No, really.

As a practical matter it's really not an issue for me. As I've said, personally I've resolved the issue, doing so by reactivating the e-mail address they currently have on file in an attempt to make the changes. But as you can see, even that wasn't good enough for them despite their implication that turned out to be untrue that you could continue on with your current account after resetting your password. Again, see: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare. So, again, for me it's a done deal and a moot point. I was just pointing out, as a citizen, what a bunch of crap they are. As far as writing to my Congressman, I wouldn't contact him even if my life depended on it. See: »California 25th Congressional District. I could write to one of my Senators, I suppose, but I'd guess that the chances of any improvement with that is so remote that I don't think it's really even worth my time.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

2 recommendations

DrStrange

Premium Member

Yep. You found a catch-22 for sure. Maybe one of your Senators would be a better choice. Padilla, I think.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

1 edit

1 recommendation

takeahike

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

Yep. You found a catch-22 for sure. Maybe one of your Senators would be a better choice. Padilla, I think.

Padilla's new on the scene. I'm sure you know that he was Gavin Newsom's pick to fill Kamala Harris' seat. He's our first Hispanic Senator. Incidentally, I did write to Feinstein recently, also about the IRS, but never did get an answer. I did manage to resolve that situation to my satisfaction before they even received the letter (problems with federal agencies must be reported by paper letter) and thus wrote them an e-mail explaining that, so that's probably why I never heard from them. In any event, since the situation is resolved for me to my satisfaction as I've already explained, I'm probably not going to bother pursuing any change in the policy through these diplomatic channels. Let them have a plethora of obsolete e-mail addresses--see if I care!

Of course they didn't say so, but perhaps it would be possible for me to change my e-mail address if I set up that account they want me to with ID.me. But, like I said, doing that is apparently not only a hassle that's beyond belief, but is also something that I would never need. I'll just be filing my insignificant no refund or payment tax returns based only on my social security income from here on out, and leave it at that (actually, with my income I'm not even required to even do that, but I like to do it just in case I have a situation where I have to show my income. Having tax returns available makes that easy).

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 recommendation

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

If only one email address is saved per taxpayer, I guess that’s why they never contacted me!
Years & Years Ago: Received letter saying I sold shares of US Steel and didn’t declare it!
Letter contained amount I got and taxes due. I replied with proof indicating I never owned US Steel stock but offered that if they sent me the 10’s of thousands of $$ from the stock sale, I would gladly pay the 2-3K$ or so — In taxes.

I never received an answer from IRS, nor money—darn! but a year or so later changed my email address, so maybe that’s why I never heard from them again!!! ???

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

2 recommendations

takeahike

Premium Member

said by Jan Janowski:

If only one email address is saved per taxpayer, I guess that’s why they never contacted me!

I never received an answer from IRS, nor money—darn! but a year or so later changed my email address, so maybe that’s why I never heard from them again!!! ???

As far as I can tell they still don't even know that e-mail exists. They certainly don't communicate that way or apparently by phone unless you call them, but only but paper letter. In any event, you can never get through to anyone there on the phone.

“We’re sorry, but due to extremely high call volume, we are unable to take your call at this time. Please try your call again later."

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

2 recommendations

jmorlan

MVM

said by takeahike:

As far as I can tell they still don't even know that e-mail exists. They certainly don't communicate that way or apparently by phone unless you call them, but only but paper letter.

This is true. However, you can contact them via fax. In fact I keep an old computer with a fax modem just so I can communicate with the IRS when needed.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

1 edit

2 recommendations

takeahike

Premium Member

Click for full size
Fax/Modem
Yeah, this whole thing trying to get the world to change (for them that's what has to happen to change an e-mail address) I actually sent two paper letters and two faxes. See: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare. I still have a fax/modem in my machine but there are services for that if you don't have one, like efax: »www.efax.com.
takeahike

4 edits

takeahike

Premium Member

Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare

Click for full size
Turbo Tax 2020/2021
Now they're working when before they weren't: »Re: Turbo Tax/IRS nightmare. First they're working, then they're not, then they are, then they're not, then they are, then they're not, then they are. Right now they are. Of course this is all the app's doing, all by itself, like magic, all on its own and with no intervention on my part whatsoever! No key entries or anything else by me --again, like magic! I'd like guesses as to what will be tomorrow. What a screwed up developer Intuit is, if there ever was one!

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

So a switch to different program is in your future?

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

4 edits

takeahike

Premium Member

My girlfriend usually gets it and I just use one of the additional "four" (five total) licenses that it's supposed to come with, if God, aka Intuit, sees fit to honor that promise. Let her blow her money on it--I wouldn't. It's her choice and I really have no say in the matter. I just work here!

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Well, you got your money’s worth

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Re: TurboTax/IRS nightmare

Click for full size
IRS can't change e-mail address
Click for full size
Social Security e-mail address changer
Social Security has no problem changing my email address but the IRS can't? There oughta be a law! Actually, there probably is one but what would that mean to the holier than thou IRS?

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

said by takeahike:

Social Security has no problem changing my email address but the IRS can't? There oughta be a law! Actually, there probably is one but what would that mean to the holier than thou IRS?

I know right! Something as simple as changing the deductible from your social security check requires filling out a form and mailing it in to the IRS. But SS should be able to allow you to do this but they don't either.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

1 recommendation

takeahike

Premium Member

Do you mean changing withholding for tax purposes or what? Why do you have to let the IRS know? Shouldn't just telling SS be enough (with an IRS W-4V form of course) since they will send the changed amount to the IRS?

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

said by takeahike:

Do you mean changing withholding for tax purposes or what? Why do you have to let the IRS know? Shouldn't just telling SS be enough (with an IRS W-4V form of course) since they will send the changed amount to the IRS?

Yes deductible. And perhaps I did mail the form to the local SS office vs IRS. Nevertheless I have an acct on SS so should be able to adjust deductible online.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

2 recommendations

takeahike

Premium Member

Yeah, well it's always been my experience that you have to file a form manually although I haven't done it in so long that the last time I did there wouldn't have been any online option because there was no internet at the time. But be glad you can at least get something done even if it had to be done the old fashioned way. With my e-mail address they wouldn't change it no matter what, even if I stood on my head! Like I said here and here I've not only sent two paper letters and two faxes requesting a change but even reactivated my old e-mail address hoping I could get into my account that way to do it but even that wouldn't work because it just created a bureaucratic nightmare of having to create a new account in manner that was virtually impossible. The bottom line is that they won't change the e-mail address under any set of circumstances, be it a paper request, online, or even if I give them my first born. The only possibility I see is maybe if I did what is almost impossible and created that new account they wanted me to with ID.me (which they required after falsely implying that such a thing wouldn't be necessary and that I could just get into my old account after resetting my password). But, again, in the absence of that working, I don't see any way they will do it since, again, in addition to my online attempt I sent those two paper letter and two faxes, to absolutely no avail! They didn't even say that there was some way to do but, as you can see from their last letter, they just said, plain and simple, and outright "we are not able to change your email address." In any event, if you read back my old posts you'll see that it's really a moot point as far as I'm concerned and therefore doesn't affect my state of mind, but what I don't understand is what would happen if you really needed to change it? Since that is apparently impossible, I suppose that you just have to have the first one you gave them for life, no matter what--you have to take it with you with them to your grave, period!