All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
toolcube
join:2014-12-27

toolcube

Increased upload speed! (coax / DOCSIS)

Hello. As of today, I'm consistently clocking 100Mbps upload using various different tests (Ookla, Rogers, Fast). I'm on the 150Mbps Ignite plan using coax. I'm not FTTH. Anyone else notice the speed bump?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

On 1GB, still only 30 up here

Anaron
join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

Anaron

I can confirm it and I'm consistently getting 160 Mbps:

said by donoreo:

On 1GB, still only 30 up here

Try restarting your modem. Mine automatically restarted around 2-3 AM last night. I think that's what applied the new upload speeds.
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to toolcube

to toolcube
Reports of it happening on Reddit also:
»www.reddit.com/r/Rogers/ ··· d_after/
TechChime

TechChime to toolcube

to toolcube
I really hope this is a full rollout and not just a big test sample. I'm moving back to Barrie in the next few Months and I will be in love having 100+ Upload... I don't have to keep hounding everyone to bring Fiber to my house haha.

Anaron
join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

1 recommendation

Anaron

said by TechChime:

I really hope this is a full rollout and not just a big test sample. I'm moving back to Barrie in the next few Months and I will be in love having 100+ Upload... I don't have to keep hounding everyone to bring Fiber to my house haha.

I wouldn't be surprised by a rollback from Rogers. They originally offered 50 Mbps on the 1 Gbps plan and lowered that to 30 Mbps.
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime

said by Anaron:

said by TechChime:

I wouldn't be surprised by a rollback from Rogers. They originally offered 50 Mbps on the 1 Gbps plan and lowered that to 30 Mbps.

Sad but true... I remember when I had that 50
ITNerd
join:2020-06-11
Etobicoke, ON

ITNerd to toolcube

to toolcube
I did a reboot for giggles and I am not seeing this speed increase. Thus I am guessing that this is a phased rollout. I am in central Etobicoke FWIW.
bohn
join:2006-05-30
Scarborough, ON

bohn to toolcube

to toolcube
I'm on the 500 meg package in Markham. I used to have 8 upload channels but about 4 months ago somehow it became 4 channels. None are hidden there really is only 4 channels. Docsis 3.1 Upload speed capped at 75 after an increase from 21. If Rogers would give me the 8 upload slots maybe my upload speed would double to 150 from 75 as in 2 times 4 upload channels is 8 upload channels. I seemed to lose the 4 upload slots when they put in the new townhouses at Markham Road and Major MacKenzie. Is anyone hitting on all 8 upload channels or on just 4?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Anaron

Premium Member

to Anaron
said by Anaron:

Try restarting your modem. Mine automatically restarted around 2-3 AM last night. I think that's what applied the new upload speeds.

I did that before posting. Probably rolling out in phases.
bohn
Scarborough, ON

bohn to Anaron

to Anaron
My modem rebooted at 6:30am in Markham. I've got a 10 decibel forward broadband amp to increase the upload signal strength by 10 decibels. Hitting 75 and haven't tried it without the broadband amp. It's a Motorola broadband amplifier.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
join:2015-03-02
Wasaga Beach, ON

LZYKNOWLEDGE to toolcube

to toolcube
I had Rogers in the past. So take it from me. I had speed increases from Rogers but I had to Factory Reset the setting back to factory defaults to get the new speed profile.
LZYKNOWLEDGE

1 recommendation

LZYKNOWLEDGE to bohn

to bohn
if you have the new ignite service. service coming in from the street directly into the modem not being spliced should not need amp. I would suggest making sure that coax line is well grounded. I am into ham and radio waves. believe me when I say grounding the cable at every join is very important. resetting the modem should get you back to the way things were.
bohn
Scarborough, ON

bohn

CODA-4582-U (2A) white in colour.

Upload has improved somewhat in the past few years but my download would be in the -10 to -15 range. So I used a 15/10 broadband amp. I put on a forward 6 decibel attenuator so all the 32 download channels are in the negative range but in the 0 to -5 range.
Upload signal strength is around 39 or 40. Years ago it used to be around 54 before I used the amplifier so I'd drop the connection a lot.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

LZYKNOWLEDGE

the lower the upstream dbmv the better because that is the modems power over the coax back to the Node. should not have to yell when someone is right next to you type of saying. down stream signal strength should not be that low. assuming that your service line from the street directly to that modem. If that is the case then there is a serious problem from the service on the street before it comes into your home.
LZYKNOWLEDGE

LZYKNOWLEDGE to toolcube

to toolcube
Are people here getting the speed increase using the ignite setup XB6/7? or are you getting the speed increase using older modems/Gateways?
Figy
join:2021-05-17
canada

Figy

Yo I hope this happened in ottawa I'm gonna test out my 500mbps plan when I get home but I'm doubtfully seems this wasn't on purpose

CRTCsux
join:2022-06-05

CRTCsux to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
My signal comes in hot from outside directly to my modem. No splitters or additional lines.

I use a 12db attenuator which drops my signal down into the 4-7db range for downstream and 42-44db range for upstream.

I recently switched to the new Ignite modems (XB7). Are you suggesting I should remove the attenuator?
Figy
canada

Figy

I think this whole upload speed increase was a mistake it's just a test in some places so don't expect it to be available to everyone.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to toolcube

to toolcube
Can we correlate this to OFDMA? Those who got it, do you have OFDMA enabled? And do you see frequencies higher than 1GHz? And what modem do you have?

CRTCsux
join:2022-06-05

CRTCsux to Figy

to Figy
If it was an official rollout I think they'd want to advertise it.

Probably just a test for a future rollout.
toolcube

toolcube to alpovs

to alpovs
On the downstream, I have 2 OFDM channels enabled, and strangely enough, I don’t have any QAM channels. They’ve all disappeared. Just the two OFDM channels and both are operating under 1GHz.

On the upstream, I have 4 QAM channels and 1 OFDMA channel.
alpovs

alpovs

Nice! I've never heard of 2 OFDM channels enabled at the same time. Do you see frequencies higher than 1GHz on upstream? And what's your modem?
toolcube

1 recommendation

toolcube

No. Upstream channels all operate at much lower frequencies. My QAM channels range from 21MHz to 38MHz. My OFDMA channel is at 42MHz.

I have the Technicolor XB6 modem.
alpovs

alpovs

Thanks. There were rumors that Rogers will start using frequencies above 1GHz for upstream. That's why I asked.

Did anyone with CODA get this upgrade?
dks01
join:2016-12-29
canada

dks01 to toolcube

to toolcube
XB6 modem. 1Gb/30 package in Owen Sound. Cable is straight from the box to the modem with no splices or taps. No change here at all.
Figy
canada

Figy

Yep I also saw no change on the 500mbps package xb7 modem
alpovs

alpovs to toolcube

to toolcube
No change for me with white CODA.

H0W1K2
Premium Member
join:2016-02-05
Toronto

H0W1K2 to toolcube

Premium Member

to toolcube
I have also noticed increase in upload speed for my gigabit package, though it only goes 55 mbps on upload. I wonder if it is mistake or they are in process of rolling out new tiers.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

1 edit

LZYKNOWLEDGE to CRTCsux

to CRTCsux
said by CRTCsux:

My signal comes in hot from outside directly to my modem. No splitters or additional lines.

I use a 12db attenuator which drops my signal down into the 4-7db range for downstream and 42-44db range for upstream.

I recently switched to the new Ignite modems (XB7). Are you suggesting I should remove the attenuator?

The upstream signal should be closer to 36 db. When I had Rogers I was getting 36-38 db. The upstream signal is very important as it is the more sensitive underpowered side scope on coax service. Making sure your upstream signal is perfect is your recipe for a better online experience. My personal opinion I would not use anything obstructing the service on the coax line. Should not be having issues with no attenuator. If you or anyone else is then Rogers is not calibrating their signal properly.