iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

7 recommendations

iNick

Premium Member

[Plan] Gigabit X2 launch?

I saw on reddit about Gigabit X2 being in certain areas. Does anyone know where it launched at? Or when we should be expecting it in other areas/nationwide? Its 2000 Mbps Down and 100 Mbps up for $120. »i.imgur.com/no9foSJ.png

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

5 recommendations

Anon07831

Anon

That screenshot is from an address in Augusta, GA.

It's likely rolling out in RPHY areas that have been upgraded to mid-split. No idea how widespread those upgrades are.

I wouldn't expect it to be nationwide for at least another few years.

It took them 3-4 years to roll out DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by Anon07831 :

That screenshot is from an address in Augusta, GA.

It's likely rolling out in RPHY areas that have been upgraded to mid-split. No idea how widespread those upgrades are.

I wouldn't expect it to be nationwide for at least another few years.

It took them 3-4 years to roll out DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1.

How do you know its from Augusta, GA?
md81593
join:2021-04-30
Acushnet, MA

1 edit

md81593

OP replied in the comments about the service address on Reddit. It might be a burred comment/reply by now.

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

1 recommendation

Anon07831 to iNick

Anon

to iNick
It was discussed here in another thread already, and the person on Reddit said that in the comments.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick to md81593

Premium Member

to md81593
Oh yeah it has over 100 comments now. I hope I can get it before year ends.

srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

11 recommendations

srtdodge05 to iNick

Premium Member

to iNick
Good to see some progress being made. Not good enough for me to leave my 1Gb at&t fiber connection.
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to iNick

to iNick
im glad to see triple digit upload speeds, will order as soon as its available.
surprised to not see an official announcement yet though, hopefully itll come soon as well as someone else posting speed tests, alongside modem signals!

i highly doubt comcast will ever offer 300mbit upload speed with mid split seeing how this tier is. but we will see.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

I guess it makes sense they don’t want to blow their load early by offering close to the max of what midsplit can provide.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

iNick to videomatic3

Premium Member

to videomatic3
said by videomatic3:

im glad to see triple digit upload speeds, will order as soon as its available.
surprised to not see an official announcement yet though, hopefully itll come soon as well as someone else posting speed tests, alongside modem signals!

i highly doubt comcast will ever offer 300mbit upload speed with mid split seeing how this tier is. but we will see.

I just want faster upload truth be told. Why is that so hard still?!

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

spewak to srtdodge05

Premium Member

to srtdodge05
I don't have att&t fiber but I do have Fidium Fiber 1 gig up and down, and I second your post.
md81593
join:2021-04-30
Acushnet, MA

md81593 to iNick

to iNick
Has anyone else seen the 2/100 plan show up in their area? It is not available yet in southcoast Massachusetts
badtlc4
join:2008-01-17
Olathe, KS

badtlc4

said by md81593:

Has anyone else seen the 2/100 plan show up in their area? It is not available yet in southcoast Massachusetts

I just checked (kansas city area) and it is not available here yet but 6 Gbps pro plan shows up.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Word is only Panama City and Augusta GA to start.

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

Anon07831 to videomatic3

Anon

to videomatic3
said by videomatic3:

i highly doubt comcast will ever offer 300mbit upload speed with mid split

Why?

They have plenty of bandwidth to.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

3 recommendations

brad152

said by Anon07831 :

said by videomatic3:

i highly doubt comcast will ever offer 300mbit upload speed with mid split

Why?

They have plenty of bandwidth to.

I wouldnt say "plenty", only ~500Mbps or so total to the node.. so likely starting with 100Mbps to:

1) see how power users who buy it affect upstream congestion

2) work out bugs in the mid-split rollout, so they can ensure early rollout hiccups are found.

3) give wiggle room to up speeds in the future, with little to no investment.. so it seems to the average customer they're actually doing "upgrades" when in fact they're milking what's already installed.

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

Anon07831

Anon

Their own documents have said mid-split can support a 300Mbps tier for customers.

Increasing the speeds wouldn't cause more bugs. The bugs would be the same at 100Mbps or 200Mbps or 300Mbps. Mid-split is mid-split, doesn't matter what speed tiers they cap customers at.

I think #3 is the actual reason. There's no technical reason to cap it at 100. Others are doing more than 100 on mid-split already.
brad152
Chicago, IL

3 recommendations

brad152

said by Anon07831 :

Their own documents have said mid-split can support a 300Mbps tier for customers.

Increasing the speeds wouldn't cause more bugs. The bugs would be the same at 100Mbps or 200Mbps or 300Mbps. Mid-split is mid-split, doesn't matter what speed tiers they cap customers at.

I think #3 is the actual reason. There's no technical reason to cap it at 100. Others are doing more than 100 on mid-split already.

You must have never had a corporate job, or any job where IT upgrades happened.

1) is to see actual utilization as they're likely only expecting people who will actually use/know what this is to buy it - and use it.. because even at 100Mbps, if ~5 people on a node buy it and use it.. welp, there's magic upstream congestion!

2) If they sell 200Mbps, lets say and for some reason a customer cannot lock the OFDMA channel, then they're going to absolultely take 100% of that ~120-130Mbps of upload currently available under 42MHz... 100Mbps upload gives "some" leftover room for other users to work with if one person maxes out the QAM upload due to a problem with OFDMA

They will want to vet to be sure there's no issues with people having splitters, taps that (they thought) were replaced, amps, etc.. 100Mbps is a good number for a "test" of a new speed tier.

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

Anon07831

Anon

They've already extensively tested mid-split for years. This isn't a test, this is a commercial rollout. They're done testing it.

They were testing 240Mbps upload in Miami recently.

They aren't beta testing this by commercially rolling it out as a new tier...

They've already vetted all of this for years now.
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts

It's still a test of sorts since they aren't releasing it outside of small areas. Progress, yes, but still a test.
brad152
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

brad152 to Anon07831

to Anon07831
said by Anon07831 :

They've already extensively tested mid-split for years. This isn't a test, this is a commercial rollout. They're done testing it.

They were testing 240Mbps upload in Miami recently.

They aren't beta testing this by commercially rolling it out as a new tier...

They've already vetted all of this for years now.

releasing it to the masses, is still a test.

There's always going to be issues that come up once this launches that were not accounted for during the controlled trial, thus why it's only going to launch in two markets to start.

They want to roll it out, collect data on service calls required, equipment/splitters/cables needed to be replaced to make it reliably work, node satuation, real world performance, etc..

Comcast is going "large scale" with something that's never really been done on their cable network (or most cable networks for that matter) since it's inception, so they want to be VERY careful.. as with the rise of Fiber ISP's.. this could go VERY well, or VERY bad.

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

Anon07831 to Moffetts

Anon

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

It's still a test of sorts since they aren't releasing it outside of small areas. Progress, yes, but still a test.

No... it's literally not a test. It's being commercially rolled out to customers.

My god... people here are going to claim it's a "test" until every last customer gets mid-split I guess.

Was DOCSIS 3.1 also a "test" when it first started rolling out to customers? No.

Just because it's not widely available yet doesn't mean it's a "test". It's being sold to customers as a new speed tier. It's not a test.
Anon07831

Anon07831 to brad152

Anon

to brad152
said by brad152:

releasing it to the masses, is still a test.

You people are insufferable.

You'll continue to claim it's a "test" until every last customer gets mid-split lmao

"I don't have it yet, so it's still just a test!!! It's not real until I have it!!"
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

4 recommendations

Moffetts to Anon07831

to Anon07831
The alternative to it being a test is that the areas they are releasing it are the only midsplit capable areas. When Comcast officially announces it, then we can talk about it not being a test.

As far as us being insufferable, well, you must like it because you keep coming back.
videomatic3
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

1 edit

videomatic3

said by Moffetts:

The alternative to it being a test is that the areas they are releasing it are the only midsplit capable areas. When Comcast officially announces it, then we can talk about it not being a test.

personally i dont really think its a test anymore. it is a tier you can order, and its in their billing system. unless they are just trying it in a market to see how many users want to order it.
there was an official announcement last month that comcast would roll out some multi gig tiers "within the upcoming months" and to see that they have something on their billing to allow for it, its progress.
i have talked to reps in the past and they do have something on our account that shows we are an upgraded area, so hopefully this shiz gets a move on because i want to order it. 100mbps upload shall keep me good for a while.
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

2 recommendations

Moffetts

Trying out how many people want it and how midsplit operates in an area larger than a neighborhood or two in Miami sounds like a test to me. They could give it to me tomorrow (which is a laugher of an idea) and it would not change the fact that at this small of a scale, they are still testing.

Anon07831
@73.128.151.x

Anon07831

Anon

Small scale ≠ test

It just means RPHY isn't widespread yet. It's commercially rolling out. It's not a test. They've been testing it since 2015. There's nothing left to test.

And yes, you are insufferable.

You can repeat that you think they're testing as much as you want, it doesn't make you correct. Please, repeat it 50 more times if it makes you feel better. Still doesn't make it accurate.
videomatic3
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to Moffetts

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

Trying out how many people want it and how midsplit operates in an area larger than a neighborhood or two in Miami sounds like a test to me. They could give it to me tomorrow (which is a laugher of an idea) and it would not change the fact that at this small of a scale, they are still testing.

you cannot order the service in miami, its not on their website. those are selected few probably getting it for whatever the cost of their previous tier is/was
in georgia you can call a rep and ask for it.
Moffetts
San Mateo, CA

7 recommendations

Moffetts to Anon07831

to Anon07831
I dunno man, you’re the one who says the same things over and over again across numerous accounts and across multiple years.
brad152
Chicago, IL

3 recommendations

brad152

said by Moffetts:

I dunno man, you’re the one who says the same things over and over again across numerous accounts and across multiple years.

Yeah, i've just deemed this one not worth replying too.. if they're too afraid (or know they've been blocked so they're using anon) they're just not worth the time.