uniqs

Anon765c4
@73.128.151.x

Anon765c4 to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym

Re: [HSI] Spectrum to increase all nominal internet speeds 100 mbps 6/28

said by ke4pym:

"Ubiquiti" and "enterprise equipment" don't go in the same sentence.

A network that requires multiple racks of large 1U routers and switches and SFP+ is not even remotely residential equipment.

Ubiquiti is absolutely enterprise gear.
stannc
join:2016-09-25
Waxhaw, NC

stannc to AnClar

to AnClar
What do you get when hardwired to the modem?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 recommendation

rebus9 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Anon765c4 :

Many of Ubiquiti's switches are 2.5Gb Ethernet, and that's all enterprise equipment.

No, but it's not too far off depending on what you buy. Ubiquiti switches, for example, lack the bells/whistles of enterprise switches (if you need lots of knobs, they are definitely not for you) but they have ample POE budget, performance is very good, and VLANs are a snap. We put some USW-Pro-48-PoE units into service on a trial basis and have been very happy.

Happy enough that as I type this, we're awaiting delivery of a big order of USW-Pro-48-PoE units for $DAYJOB for a project replacing many aging Cisco Catalyst 48-port Gig-E switches. The Cisco units have been superb and the stacking modules make management simple, but they're a decade old now. The Ubiquiti units in the trial performed so well that we didn't see the need to spend more than double per-unit to replace Cisco for Cisco.

As for Wi-Fi, we replaced our old gear with a mixture of mainly U6-LR, U6-Pro, plus a couple dozen FlexHD units for supplemental coverage (you can put those things practically anywhere) across a dozen corporate locations so far, and have been exceptionally happy. Managing them couldn't be easier, and performance has been outstanding. Users have said nice things about the "new Wi-Fi" in the months since deploying.

I'd consider Ubiquity to be more like "Enterprise Lite". You get the performance of Enterprise gear, at a much lower price point, if you are willing to give up some advanced config options that most admins won't use anyway.

miked315
join:2006-06-27
West Monroe, NY

4 recommendations

miked315 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Anon765c4 :

Many of Ubiquiti's switches are 2.5Gb Ethernet, and that's all enterprise equipment.

Very true, I chuckle when I see people say things like that about Ubiquiti. It's prosumer or small business stuff at best. If you proposed buying Ubiquiti equipment to go into a data center you'd get laughed out of the room.

Anon765c4
@73.128.151.x

1 recommendation

Anon765c4

Anon

said by miked315:

Very true, I chuckle when I see people say things like that about Ubiquiti. It's prosumer or small business stuff at best. If you proposed buying Ubiquiti equipment to go into a data center you'd get laughed out of the room.

I didn't realize "enterprise" only meant "data center".

Ubiquiti is widely used in enterprise and business. Their access points in particular are very popular in large businesses, I see them all over the place being used for public Wi-Fi at various places.

I don't know anyone who has cabinets filled with 1U SFP+ switches and routers at their home or small business. That's an enterprise setup, not a "small business" setup.

Most small businesses rent a gateway from their cable provider and just use that... Seriously, not even with an additional access point. I've worked at multiple small businesses and that was their setup for the entire office.

AnClar
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

1 recommendation

AnClar to stannc

Premium Member

to stannc
Pretty similar. I get almost no noticeable drop in throughput whether I'm hardwired to the modem or hardwired to the router. The way I normally run I'm going from the 2.5Gb port on the modem to a 2.5Gb WAN port on the router out to a 2.5Gb port on the computer.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to miked315

MVM

to miked315
Wireless wise, Ubiquiti generally isn't bad. Just like with any other vendor, someone has to put in the time to lab out the desired firmware version and then deploy firmware to the field once it's ready. Some features like QoS and Bandwidth Control are a little more lacking on the Ubiquiti lineup than say, a system that uses a centralized controller for all of the heavy lifting with GRE tunnels between every AP. But everything else I would consider to be on par. The APs do support ACLs, it's just not (nicely) configurable in the controller in all cases. The gimmicky features that more expensive systems come with are usually best kept off because of the amount of problems they cause.

UniFi's limit in particular has always been in the routing department, which extends into the switches. I would love to be able to configure RIPv2 or OSPFv3 in the UniFi Controller for example, so I don't have to use the Spectrum provided gateway to get a Static IP to work (Why are you using RIPv2 on CPE, Spectrum?). Or use Policy based routing to take a UXG with multiple WAN connections and direct traffic a certain way. Or flow-based QoS (I hear this is actually coming very soon though).

Ubiquiti's selling point has always been no subscription fees to use the hardware. A lot of places, even large businesses and enterprises, are going with the Ubiquiti APs because the "everything is a subscription" and "everything's gotta be in this proprietary someone else's computer environment" gets to be pretty old. You don't have to worry about finance forgetting to pay the subscription fee, and having your network shut down (Looking at you, Meraki), or losing the ability to update firmware or get parts because your support contract lapsed. If you're dealing with Micro-segmentation and IDS for internal traffic, you're already throwing bandwidth at the problem between the switches, and sending everything back to something beefier than an L3/L4 switch loaded with ACLs.

Ubiquiti has their place. They're growing for a reason. I'll take a Cisco or Juniper for all of the bells and whistles they have any day, but they are a pain in the rear to configure sometimes, and I can't just hand them to anyone and call it a day. Oh, and beating up Cisco TAC to get firmware to solve for critical security issues without a support contract is never fun.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

Why are you using RIPv2 on CPE, Spectrum?

Because that's they way it was done 3000 years ago, so they're not going to bother changing it. Because the CPE tells the network what block to send it, the only approved ("safe") way to do that is from a company owned and managed device. (i.e. you aren't supposed to know the Magic MD5 Password(tm))

Merkai doesn't "shut down your network" when you're sub expires. You simply lose access to the portal do any management. The hardware will continue to run as configured for a long time. With switches, how often do you change firmware? I've been doing this for many decades, and firmware on switches are almost never changed. (esp. once in use. out-of-the-box, sure, you never know what the factory put on them.) When they do change it's to get a critical bug fixed, or enable newer features. (the later was usually related to constantly moving target of IPv6.)

Cisco TAC used to be easy to deal with for such critical "rebuilds", but everything about Cisco today is a pain, even with contracts, even if you are a multi-million dollar company. (greed and the coveted stock price.)

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

With the RIPv2 thing - the CPE Spectrum deploys is so insecure it's pretty easy to pull the RIPv2 information out of the thing. They're going to have to change the key in this area because a customer knows it now. All of the other providers (Fiber) are doing Direct Static right to the ONT for IPv4 and IPv6. Seems to not be a problem for the massive Telco or the small Fiber providers coming in.

The other reason I point out the RIPv2 thing is because the techs have routinely told me about the headaches they have with Static IP provisioning, where CPE that wasn't reset someplace else on the network is using someone else's Static block. Or a typo by a field tech during a CPE replacement broke someone else's static block. The techs hate it as much as I do.

Last I checked, Meraki gave you a 30 days grace once the license pool runs out. After that, the equipment shuts down/blocks traffic until the licensing is renewed.

Agreed on the Cisco part.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

2 recommendations

rebus9 to cramer

to cramer
said by cramer:

Cisco TAC used to be easy to deal with for such critical "rebuilds", but everything about Cisco today is a pain, even with contracts, even if you are a multi-million dollar company. (greed and the coveted stock price.)

This is a BIG reason why we're migrating away from Cisco. The disaster that TAC has become over the past several years. It's become so painful to open tickets, I'd swear they've been annexed by the Federal government.

Worse, we had perpetual on-premises licensing for our Cisco phone system, and did annual renewals on our support contracts and firmware/OS entitlements. Well, no more. Beginning this year, we were forced to replace those perpetual licenses with an annual SUBSCRIPTION-- for our fully owned on-premises system-- or LOSE our support and entitlements. And in quite literal terms, the cost of the subscription is DOUBLE what we normally paid for support/entitlement renewals each year.

And it gets even worse. Our rep informed us that if we do not renew the subscription each year, the phone system-- which we OWN in full-- will cease to function. He told us "it's not fair to Cisco for us to keep using the system for free", even after I pointed out we paid over half a million dollars for ownership of the hardware. What bastards!!!

What that did was GUARANTEE there is NO chance we will ever purchase another Cisco product. They burned down every bridge to us now.

Our roadmap was to replace the phone system in 2027 with new Cisco (because it works so well) but the huge (six-figure) increase in expenses has moved that up much sooner. We are going to begin seriously investigating a virtual/cloud based system from a few reputable vendors, because I want to be completely divorced from Cisco by 2024.

cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

5 recommendations

cramer

Premium Member

said by rebus9:

"it's not fair to Cisco for us to keep using the system for free"

EXACTLY the greedy little rat bastards Cisco has become. Their customers are paying The Cisco Price for shit - $4k switch everyone else sells for $400, and it's the same broadcom base design - so they've paid to use the hardware for A VERY LONG TIME. (And Meraki does the same thing. Blindingly expensive hardware that you then have to "rent" for as long as they care to allow.)

They don't care about making quality anymore, just making sure you're constantly having to re-buy everything. They were never happy with the massive used hardware market -- even when people bought support for it -- because it meant they wouldn't meet their revenue targets for their massively overpriced hardware. (they have to keep selling that overpriced kit to keep the stock price up.) When people kept using hardware past the EoL, EoSale, EoSupport dates, they started systematically removing ALL documentation, software, and firmware for them. Anything older than an end-of-contract date gets DELETED. All that hardware is still perfectly function, albeit slow by modern standards. When it comes to switches, unless you need faster ports, there's very rarely any need to replace it. (I have many 20+ year old switches still doing the same old job. No they're not 10G+. No most of them aren't PoE - certainly not the 1.21JW everything needs today.)

[The HP (HPE) switches have been getting updates for decades. I just looked and the 3500 (J8692A) got an update a few weeks ago. Even the 1810 got an update 2 years ago. Also, NO CONTRACT required to download either of them.]

[Also, I'm told they pull the same shit with DoD and other government contracts. The whole smart licensing move almost single handedly kicked Cisco out of government circles. There's a mountain of shit that DOES NOT get to touch the internet.]
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
I wonder if ALL areas even have 100mbs yet ......

If not ... they need to do that first ......

Anonb638d
@47.13.109.x

Anonb638d

Anon

said by kherr:

I wonder if ALL areas even have 100mbs yet ......

If not ... they need to do that first ......

Charter said a couple of months back that 99.99% have 200 Mbps standard base speed. So that's no more than 3000 households without 200 Mbps, And that's houses passed not total customers as penetration is not 100%.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

3 recommendations

j1349705 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

said by rebus9:

"it's not fair to Cisco for us to keep using the system for free"

EXACTLY the greedy little rat bastards Cisco has become. Their customers are paying The Cisco Price for shit - $4k switch everyone else sells for $400, and it's the same broadcom base design - so they've paid to use the hardware for A VERY LONG TIME. (And Meraki does the same thing. Blindingly expensive hardware that you then have to "rent" for as long as they care to allow.)

They don't care about making quality anymore, just making sure you're constantly having to re-buy everything. They were never happy with the massive used hardware market -- even when people bought support for it -- because it meant they wouldn't meet their revenue targets for their massively overpriced hardware. (they have to keep selling that overpriced kit to keep the stock price up.) When people kept using hardware past the EoL, EoSale, EoSupport dates, they started systematically removing ALL documentation, software, and firmware for them. Anything older than an end-of-contract date gets DELETED. All that hardware is still perfectly function, albeit slow by modern standards. When it comes to switches, unless you need faster ports, there's very rarely any need to replace it. (I have many 20+ year old switches still doing the same old job. No they're not 10G+. No most of them aren't PoE - certainly not the 1.21JW everything needs today.)

[The HP (HPE) switches have been getting updates for decades. I just looked and the 3500 (J8692A) got an update a few weeks ago. Even the 1810 got an update 2 years ago. Also, NO CONTRACT required to download either of them.]

[Also, I'm told they pull the same shit with DoD and other government contracts. The whole smart licensing move almost single handedly kicked Cisco out of government circles. There's a mountain of shit that DOES NOT get to touch the internet.]

Cisco is a joke at this point. My last few experiences with them were simply unbearable. Just trying to get their expensive ass support contracts tied to our account took many man hours over the course of days. They didn't give a rats ass that their inaction was causing outages for the customer.

While they are hardly the only company to have insane markup on things like SFP+ modules, the last pricing I saw for these was easily 2x what HPE charges and 40x what you can get generic modules for.

TAC support is all over the place. There's a lot of outsourcing, and sometimes it seems like you end up with someone who hasn't even read the first page of the documentation on the product you need help with.

Product quality, specifically software, has also gone way downhill. Firepower is just a complete mess of products from multiple acquisitions tied together by a buggy UI with missing functionality.
Nucleartx
join:2016-09-08
Belton, TX
·Grande Communica..
·Charter
·AT&T FTTP

Nucleartx

My shop has aging Cisco gear but I’m looking at options. I’m starting to look at HPE or some other vendor for the refresh. I have an on site CUCM and we have no backup options if it goes down. Cisco does not want to support that product anymore and always pushes for cloud based CUCM at $20 per user/phone a month. That adds a up quick when we spent half a mil 13 years ago on the product.

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

wizkid6

said by Nucleartx:

I’m starting to look at HPE

Ah yes, the company that ruined 3Com...
thischucks
join:2012-11-12
Dunnellon, FL

3 recommendations

thischucks to timcuth

to timcuth
Click for full size
Back to the original topic, getting nice speeds on Wi-Fi with the ultra 500.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by thischucks:

Back to the original topic, getting nice speeds on Wi-Fi with the ultra 500.

Nice. I missed it-- are you an existing customer who finally got the bump, or did you upgrade?

I'm power-cycling the modem every morning, but so far no joy.

thischucks
Dunnellon, FL

thischucks

I had to call in and tell them I was cancelling. I had the existing 400 Ultra. Retention gave me a promo and reprovisioned my modem to stay.

Meathax
Looking for better Pings
join:2010-10-24
Cherry Valley, MA

Meathax to timcuth

to timcuth
Yes I just cycled my modem and no change.
I was wondering, I am currently on a promo deal for my internet, will the speed change not take effect until after my promo expires?
Meathax

Meathax

Odd that my rate card dated April of 2022 lists 500 meg download for my tier, I’ve NEVER had 500.

Anon0c6d5
@72.184.173.x

Anon0c6d5 to thischucks

Anon

to thischucks
Service area Tampa, FL; I have not seen any Internet Speed increase...and I have re-booted my Model today. Is the Increase not as yet released to the Tampa, Fl Service area? I have their 400/20 Ultra Teir
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers to Meathax

to Meathax
My rate card lists 500 meg too but i've never had it. Still at 400/20.
thischucks
Dunnellon, FL

1 recommendation

thischucks to Anon0c6d5

to Anon0c6d5
said by Anon0c6d5 :

Service area Tampa, FL; I have not seen any Internet Speed increase...and I have re-booted my Model today. Is the Increase not as yet released to the Tampa, Fl Service area? I have their 400/20 Ultra Teir

I am in Tampa service also, had to call and tell them I was cancelling in order for them to provision the modem for the 500 even though my rate card said Ultra 500
Alphasite
join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

Alphasite to Anon765c4

to Anon765c4
I was just addressing your claim that the Ubiquiti router with SFP+ ports was $1000, not the pricing of any additional equipment.

I wouldn't mind having a version of the UDM SE where the eight 1G RJ45 ports were replaced with eight SFP+ ports but that would probably cost nearly the same as buying the UDM SE and Switch Aggregation together.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

7 recommendations

timcuth

Premium Member

Another topic gone off the rails.
thischucks
Dunnellon, FL

1 recommendation

thischucks

said by timcuth:

Another topic gone off the rails.

They didn’t get my hint.
Nucleartx
join:2016-09-08
Belton, TX

Nucleartx to timcuth

to timcuth
Family member just signed up for 500/20 Ultra. Only 480/23 speeds so far, contractor doesn’t know what is going on with the upgrades.
SlabBulkhead
join:2001-12-05
Dayton, OH
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti U6-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

2 recommendations

SlabBulkhead

said by Nucleartx:

Family member just signed up for 500/20 Ultra. Only 480/23 speeds so far, contractor doesn’t know what is going on with the upgrades.

I rebooted again today. No change in speed.

I'm not going mess with calling in though, I don't want to break the $29.99 promo rate I got back in March.
System

to timcuth

Anon

to timcuth
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course