Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

1 edit

stevennb

Premium Member

LGA 1200 cooler.

A friend is getting a Intel® Core i5-11600K for a good price. I said I'd help him put together the system. I was looking online at coolers and good lord are they all that massive?

From what I understand the stock cooler comes with the standard (i.e...not K versions of the cooler.) Are there any cooler/fans that aren't so big (and cumbersome to install?)

UPDATE !!!!

We decided to go with a - be quiet! BK030 Pure Rock Slim 2 cooler/fan. Apparently it's relatively easy to change the mounting brackets from a AMD configuration to a intel 1200 one.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

3 recommendations

C0deZer0

Premium Member

When it comes to the prospect of thermal management, the only limiting factors are, how cold do you want it, and how much you're willing to spend. And there were enough z series boards on Intel that often did whatever they wanted, pushing the thing to its silicon limits, volts and thermals be damned.

Yes, it should be possible to enforce certain thermal limits in the bios, especially one that's up to date. But most are likely used to that factory overclocked performance.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a small cooler, especially in a hot climate. As for air, it's at least possible to get by with a tower air cooler using a single 120/140mm fan. Two is what I'd recommend for any K chip, or even a good bin of a locked chip.

Otherwise, if the case allows, nothing wrong with a 240mm closed loop cooler. If you go this route, try to find out where the fill port is. No matter how good it may be, the coolant in them will eventually evaporate. Depending on the arrangement, some will do much sooner.

I've got a relatively old one and because of where it was arranged, I only noticed how low it was when it was time to move it to a more reasonable system. I could hear it swirling some. Found a YouTube video to let me drain and disassemble to make sire the pump and cold plate were fine; then reassembled after clean and refill with 50/50 antifreeze. Unless specified otherwise, most AIO liquid coolers on the market use a mix of ethylene glycol and distilled water, to better tolerate the mixed metals common in such prebuilt loops. So with a proper fill port, it's that much easier to keep it running for a very long time.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

1 recommendation

takeahike

Premium Member

Click for full size
Intel stock fan

Speed and temperature
I use the Intel stock fan. It's not cumbersome, is quiet, and seems to do the job just fine for an i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz. See SpeedFan results with it.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

5 recommendations

C0deZer0

Premium Member

An 11600k is considerably more (thermally) dense than a 4790, though. And Intel doesn't ship box coolers with any K chip.

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

4 recommendations

heyyahblah to stevennb

to stevennb
Noticed you went with a budget cooler. Just a FYI the be quiet! BK030 Pure Rock Slim 2 has a max TDP of 130W. It would have been better suited for a 65-95W TDP processor. The i5-11600K TDP is 125W. So just so you know you won't have any O/C headroom at all, and the CPU might run hot with that cooler when under load. There is also a chance it could be noisy, since the fan will be ramping up to keep the CPU cool, as its only got 3 copper pipes for cooling vs 4 copper pipes on other budget coolers.

I personally, (and a better alternative) for a small footprint cooler would have chosen either the:

Noctua NH-U12S Redux (160W TDP) - $50 USD
»www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH ··· 3&sr=8-3

Great cooler, 160W TDP, and can mount a 2nd fan on it if needed to hook up to CPU_OPT fan header on the MB, for better cooling performance. I believe Noctua gives you brackets for a 2nd fan installation, and if it doesn't, if you purchase one of their official add-on fans you get brackets in the kit. They are very good at this.

or the ever popular:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler (150W TDP). - $47 USD
»www.amazon.com/Cooler-Ma ··· 8-2&th=1

Another good one, and can mount a 2nd fan on it if needed to hook up to CPU_OPT fan header on the MB, for better cooling performance. It would only have cost you $15-20 more over the be quiet! BK030 Pure Rock Slim.

If you end up keeping the be quiet! cooler, use good thermal paste and if you can, I would suggest adding a 2nd fan to it for better cooling, just IMO. Reviews saying the be quiet! BK030 Pure Rock Slim 2 is a b**ch to mount with Intel.
Good luck.

computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

1 recommendation

computerman2

Premium Member

Bought a Pure Rock 2 Black one many months ago, thought i knew what i was doing, but while the Stock LGA 1200 Cooler came off the Intel I7 10700 fine

Here is issues had with my Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black Install

1. Back Plate securing spacer got stuck in the Bracket that was to hold the Cooler itself on the Chip--not sure if i used the wrong screw, or what went wrong. Just was wanting to finally use full use of my 8 Core/16 Thread Processor

2. Thermal Paste cover came off bottom of The cooler when i unboxed it to get the parts

3. Finally gave up trying to get it to work, and instead lugged this heavy case to local PC shop, and had them install whatever Air Cooler they had in stock, as was informed due to my ram an 240MM AIO most likely would not fit. Case is Thermaltake V200 TG RGB

((Got installed instead Arctic Freezer 7X))

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

2 recommendations

jbob

Premium Member

said by computerman2:

....snipped
3. Finally gave up trying to get it to work, and instead lugged this heavy case to local PC shop, and had them install whatever Air Cooler they had in stock, as was informed due to my ram an 240MM AIO most likely would not fit. ....snipped

AIO pumps will typically fit better than an air cooler in regards to RAM clearance issues.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Yeah i figured it would've, i went with Corasir Vengenece LPX 32gb ram kit when i upgraded the ram at Christmas 2021, i figured if i ever went AIO shouldn't been a problem.

But Shop was like don't think a 240 would fit, they offered to sell me instead 120MM AIO, but i was like i'll just opt for Air Cooling still then.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob to heyyahblah

Premium Member

to heyyahblah
said by heyyahblah:

or the ever popular:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler (150W TDP). - $47 USD
»www.amazon.com/Cooler-Ma ··· 8-2&th=1

Just to clarify the link you posted is to the Hyper 212 Black Edition not the EVO. The EVO is the older similar model/design. The BE version is a much better design and a few $$$$ more than the EVO.

»www.amazon.com/Cooler-Ma ··· &sr=1-20
jbob

jbob to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2
said by computerman2:

Yeah i figured it would've, i went with Corasir Vengenece LPX 32gb ram kit when i upgraded the ram at Christmas 2021, i figured if i ever went AIO shouldn't been a problem.

But Shop was like don't think a 240 would fit, they offered to sell me instead 120MM AIO, but i was like i'll just opt for Air Cooling still then.

I'm now wondering if they meant the radiator wouldn't fit and not the pump itself? The 120 MM AIO is probably the exhaust fan one. Right?
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Yes do believe so

Maybe thats what they meant the Radiator wouldn't fit possibly

and yes 120MM AIO would've used the exhaust fan spot they stated then

But guess this air cooler isn't too bad, as so far haven't seen it over 85C with same tasks i used to do with stock LGA 1200 Cooler, seen that thing up to 97C at times--saved funds for months to afford the Be Quiet Cooler lol, and failed on my first ever install

Hopefully Op of this thread has better luck whichever cooler installs for processor

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to stevennb

MVM

to stevennb
I’d be interested to know how the OP’s HSF install went.

For what it’s worth, I typically buy miscellaneous PC parts when I see what seems like a good deal. That way if a PSU fails or an SSD craps out I have something on hand to replace it with quickly.

I know the Corsair A500 wouldn’t be on anyone’s list but when I came across it on sale for ~$35 USD IIRC down from its ~$89 USD introductory price I figured F@#k it.

I shelved it wondering if I’d ever use it. Eventually I used it when my CoolerMaster Master Liquid 240mm through no fault of its own was hanging from the motherboard by a thread. Basically the OEM composite (plastic) retention system failed (snapped).

The install of the A500 was easy, simple and didn’t require the OEM cooler retention system. It came with a screwdriver, thermal paste already applied and IIRC additional thermal paste. Not the best cooler, only has 4 heat pipes of differing size but it kept the 16 core 32 thread AMD 3950X almost as cool as the CoolerMaster Master Liquid 240mm AIO (which I went back to after replacing the OEM bracket).

Edit:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather have a Noctua NH-D15 or a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 but the Corsair A500 was surprising good,…..enough.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

1 recommendation

stevennb

Premium Member

My friend ended up returning the original cooler - pure rock slim 2 and got a
be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 2. The install wasn't too bad. The fan is a 135 mm and pretty much quiet.