spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kerplunk
join:2003-04-06
Tampa, FL

4 edits

kerplunk

Frontier has been slow all day (packet loss)

Edit: This topic was originally about a connection issue with Frontier in the Tampa area. That issue has been resolved as of 8/22.

--

Websites have been sporadically loading slowly (or not at all) all day. Sometimes they are instant, sometimes they take minutes to load. Annoying.

I am sure it could be traced to a bad route to a specific CDN or something, but blah. It's been a long week. I hope this fix it soon so I can browse pictures for houses on Zillow again or look at ESPN without lag.
randell48
join:2019-08-20
Clearwater, FL

1 recommendation

randell48

Re: Frontier has been slow all day

Not just you, I am literally unable to login to some online games I play since yesterday. Some stuff, like websites do load, but slowly, like you. Single connection speed tests not even remotely close to provisioned speed (1G). Seems like Frontier has been having reliability issues in FL for a while now.
I think this is the final straw for me. Which is better guys, Spectrum or WOW?
kerplunk
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

kerplunk

said by randell48:

Not just you, I am literally unable to login to some online games I play since yesterday. Some stuff, like websites do load, but slowly, like you. Single connection speed tests not even remotely close to provisioned speed (1G). Seems like Frontier has been having reliability issues in FL for a while now.
I think this is the final straw for me. Which is better guys, Spectrum or WOW?

Thank you for confirming it isn't just me seeing this issue. Frontier Fiber is my primary connection (and the best overall option IMO), but I also have Spectrum as a backup/failover. I don't have access to WOW in Tampa, but I've heard Spectrum is better.
randell48
Clearwater, FL

1 recommendation

randell48 to kerplunk

to kerplunk
Click for full size
Here's a fun screenshot I took in wireshark. I'm connected directly to the ONT while trying to login to one of the game servers. The red bars on the graph represent TCP packets with issues (retransmits, dup acks, etc); there shouldn't be any. The black line in the graph represents all packets captured.
Ragar
join:2009-10-04
The Colony, TX

Ragar to kerplunk

to kerplunk
It has been sporadically slow this past week here. I thought it was just their crap peering again.

simba1994
join:2002-02-10
Seminole, FL

simba1994 to kerplunk

to kerplunk
Same problem here. Random sites are intermittently slow. Can't login, etc. Even Amazon is not loading item photos consistently.
kerplunk
Tampa, FL

kerplunk

Yep, Amazon is slow too... I was just trying to order something and the Checkout page is spinning. Come on, Frontier...

Quality of traffic is just as important as download and upload speed. 2 Gbps means nothing if packets are continually failing...

terabitz
join:2016-10-16
Thonotosassa, FL

terabitz to kerplunk

to kerplunk
Happening here as well. I had to open up a VPN to load the Hillsborough County Supervisor of Elections ballot tracker.

simba1994
join:2002-02-10
Seminole, FL

simba1994

said by terabitz:

I had to open up a VPN to load the Hillsborough County Supervisor of Elections ballot tracker.

Oh good idea! I usually don't run a VPN all the time, but sure enough, I fire it up and everything loads now. I'll leave it on until Frontier figures this out.
they4kman
join:2022-08-20

1 recommendation

they4kman

YSK: allegedly, the line from Miami to the west was severed due to a cell tower site boring into it. See »twitter.com/AskFrontier/ ··· 92295936

Some places (I see reports from South Tampa and Sarasota, namely) have been entirely without internet for days now. Others, like me in St Pete, have had spotty service. A few days ago, my packet loss was around 75%. It's been dropping slowly but surely; last night the loss was around 53%.

The lack of communication from Frontier about this is just astounding. This is a *major* failure that surely violates business SLAs, and is gonna cost a lot. And not even knowing what's going on with the repairs is infuriating.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL

terabitz

That makes a lot more sense now.
kerplunk
Tampa, FL

2 edits

1 recommendation

kerplunk

That tweet was from 2 days ago and it's still not resolved. Shaking my head.

I'm seeing about 13% packet loss just from a continuous ping to espn.com, for example.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL
·Frontier Communi..
ARRIS NVG468MQ
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Cisco 7941/7961

1 recommendation

terabitz

said by kerplunk:

That tweet was from 2 days ago and it's still not resolved.

Well, considering we're in Florida, you really have to schedule repairs like this around the weather...
SIOYGYG
join:2011-01-08
Tampa, FL

SIOYGYG

Herr in NorthDale 33624 surprised I am not seeing any problems yet.
kerplunk
Tampa, FL

kerplunk

Re: Frontier has been slow all day (packet loss, connection quality)

--- espn.com ping statistics ---
9299 packets transmitted, 8795 packets received, 5.4% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 5.793/6.355/60.515/1.252 ms
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to kerplunk

to kerplunk
This certainly explains why some sites and some of my stuff has been acting fairly sluggish the last few days. I switched to our spectrum backup connection and magically, everything's working like it should now. Hopefully this is all fixed in the next few days.
viper8075
join:2011-10-26

1 recommendation

viper8075 to kerplunk

to kerplunk
I am having the same issue in the winter haven Haines City area. Speeds are fine but the packet loss is insane. Some stuff loads fine other things slow or not loading at all. From what I have heard this was a pretty bad fiber cut who knows how long before it’s completely fixed.
kevnich24
Mulberry, FL

1 recommendation

kevnich24

said by viper8075:

From what I have heard this was a pretty bad fiber cut who knows how long before it’s completely fixed.

Well, Frontier should have some form of status or communication for the entire area affected letting customers know what's going on.

Secondly, even a very high strand count fiber should NOT take days to fix. Most high strand fiber is usually ribbon fiber and splicing it definitely takes several hours but not days.
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT to kerplunk

Premium Member

to kerplunk
Experiencing this all week in Odessa and still this AM as well. It’s odd what loads and what doesn’t load
iBotPeaches
join:2022-08-21
Tampa, FL

iBotPeaches to kerplunk

to kerplunk
I saw this link posted on Twitter after also scanning for issues why I was getting 10-30% packet loss to various sites in Tampa since Thursday.

radar cloudflare

I checked Radar (image attached) and what I don't understand is if a line is cut and BGP announcements go out - shouldn't we just be peering differently and just have a less preferred route until the line(s) are repaired with no impact to service?

There is such a large spike of announcements in the image around when the issue started then a day later a bunch more. Just all seems a bit odd between a long critical fiber line repair time and no acknowledgement of issue.
kerplunk
Tampa, FL

kerplunk

Here is a direct link to the BGP Announcements graph on Cloudflare:

»radar.cloudflare.com/asn ··· t_7_days

(Scroll to bottom of the page.)
kerplunk

kerplunk

said by iBotPeaches:

I saw this link posted on Twitter after also scanning for issues why I was getting 10-30% packet loss to various sites in Tampa since Thursday.

I checked Radar (image attached) and what I don't understand is if a line is cut and BGP announcements go out - shouldn't we just be peering differently and just have a less preferred route until the line(s) are repaired with no impact to service?

There is such a large spike of announcements in the image around when the issue started then a day later a bunch more. Just all seems a bit odd between a long critical fiber line repair time and no acknowledgement of issue.

I really appreciated your blog post on this issue: »connortumbleson.com/2022 ··· ug-2022/

Thanks!
kevnich24
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

It would be nice if these repeated issues between Tampa and Miami would result in them expanding their backbone capacity and adding in a little more redundancy. Fiber cuts are just a fact of business and with the increased construction in FL, will happen quite often but it shouldn't result in this kind of issue either.

I'm not a fan of spectrum personally but even larger fiber cuts rarely result in their service responding like it does with Frontier fiber cuts but I know Spectrum has more egress locations than Frontier does.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL

terabitz to kerplunk

to kerplunk
Is anyone still having issues? Things seemed to be loading better for me this morning.
viper8075
join:2011-10-26

viper8075

Things do seem better this morning. I noticed after about 3am pages that were not loading or loading slowly wete back to normal.
kerplunk
Tampa, FL

kerplunk to terabitz

to terabitz
said by terabitz:

Is anyone still having issues? Things seemed to be loading better for me this morning.

Seems much better, but there have been occasional periods of slowness. I can no longer reproduce the packet loss since last night.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL
·Frontier Communi..
ARRIS NVG468MQ
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Cisco 7941/7961

1 recommendation

terabitz

said by kerplunk:

said by terabitz:

Seems much better, but there have been occasional periods of slowness. I can no longer reproduce the packet loss since last night.

I wasn't able to run traceroutes and get accurate results in PingPlotter because for some reason my Deco X20 was producing packet loss, which would affect the trace downstream. I had my interval set at 10 seconds too, so I'm not exactly sure why there's loss on my LAN.
transit54
join:2018-07-15
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

transit54 to kerplunk

to kerplunk
said by kerplunk:

I really appreciated your blog post on this issue: »connortumbleson.com/2022 ··· ug-2022/

Thanks!

Wow, that was an interesting read. What a textbook case of poor service recovery. While the issue was undoubtedly frustrating, the customer service response was maddening. Frontier really ought to invest some dollars in improving that experience if they want to ensure long term customer retention.

There'a a lot of pretty straightforward things that they could do when something like that pops up - proactively contacting customers to let them know there's an issue, having an easy place to see outage information and get updates on resolution, improving systems to disseminate outage information to front-line reps, etc. I realize that plenty of ISPs don't do these things but if Frontier is looking to shed their old reputation it would serve them well to improve this.

They probably have hundreds or thousands of FL customers who came away from this weekend just thinking that Frontier service sucks and not even realizing there was a technical issue.
RSFL92
join:2016-03-30
Tampa, FL

RSFL92

said by transit54:

said by kerplunk:

Thanks!

Wow, that was an interesting read. What a textbook case of poor service recovery. While the issue was undoubtedly frustrating, the customer service response was maddening. Frontier really ought to invest some dollars in improving that experience if they want to ensure long term customer retention.

There'a a lot of pretty straightforward things that they could do when something like that pops up - proactively contacting customers to let them know there's an issue, having an easy place to see outage information and get updates on resolution, improving systems to disseminate outage information to front-line reps, etc. I realize that plenty of ISPs don't do these things but if Frontier is looking to shed their old reputation it would serve them well to improve this.

They probably have hundreds or thousands of FL customers who came away from this weekend just thinking that Frontier service sucks and not even realizing there was a technical issue.

Honestly, I'm quite pissed about their response considering the number of affected people. I tried contacting their Executive office and they brushed it off and tried to tell me the outage was resolved within 24 hours and only affected limited areas.
randell48
Clearwater, FL

randell48 to kerplunk

to kerplunk
Update: I have since cancelled my Frontier service after 8 years. I've switched to WOW and it seems to be more stable. Hopefully Frontier gets their shit together and fixes their peering issues in FL or whatever's causing their reliability issues. I'll check back in a year.