MVM
join:2009-11-25

5 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

Thales confirms hackers have released its data on the dark web

»www.reuters.com/technolo ··· 2-11-11/
quote:
French defence and technology group Thales (TCFP.PA) said on Friday data relating to the group has been released on the "publication platform" of the hacker group LockBit 3.0, confirming media reports. ... It said there is currently no impact on its operations. The group’s experts have identified one of two likely sources of the data theft and continue to investigate the second, it said. It is also working to minimise the potential impact. The firm said on Tuesday it had opened an internal investigation and informed the ANSSI national cyber security agency. Thales said this week that the Russian-speaking extortion and ransomware group had claimed to have stolen some of its data, with plans to publish it on Nov. 7.
Regards

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

2 recommendations

Snowy

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

quote:
Thales said this week that the Russian-speaking extortion and ransomware group had claimed to have stolen some of its data, with plans to publish it on Nov. 7.

Again, one of my pet peeves about the few DSLR "Security Expert(s)" has surfaced, the ones that post pure bullshit opinions on IT Security in this forum as fact.
I'd directly quote, with attribution, the DSLR "IT Security" expert that said:
quote:
With backups, it's game over for ransomware.

But in the absence of an otherwise compelling reason, I won't.
My point being (the quote is 100% uniformed BS) that facts do matter to anyone engaged in IT Security, whether as an interesting hobby or a career.
IOW - when you see BS being posted, call it out, question it, don't quietly let it rule in the belief that it's just innocent ignorance.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

3 recommendations

Kearnstd

Premium Member

my question when people see backups as the be all and end all for ransomware is always, When was the last known clean backup. The firm would have to know when the system was actually infected.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

4 recommendations

leibold

MVM

There are two aspects of keeping data safe and secure:
- making sure that you have continued access to your data (and the associated keys if encrypted).
- making sure that unauthorized people can't get access to your data.

While backups are good for the former, they can present a weakness for the latter. Make sure access to your backups is well protected (which can be hard to do because a good backup strategy involves geographically diverse off-site storage locations).