uniqs

Philmatic
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
Oxnard, CA

Philmatic

Premium Member

Hotmail: Forgot password and hint question, HELP

My sister has had a hotmail account for several years (since 94) and a few weeks ago she changed her password. Ever since then, she hasn't been able to log in, She forgot her password and her husband, who set the account up, didn't properly use a question for password retrieval. Is there anyway she can recover this email? hotmail doesn't have an 800 number to call for help.

Jnick
Need More Cowbell
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Salem, NH

Jnick

Premium Member

Maybe a tech support email address? Other than that I don't see what else you can do short of creating a new account.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX to Philmatic

to Philmatic
you are really short on options here...

Only thing I can recommend is that if the password was ever somehow stored on the OS there are many 'password retrieval' programs out there, that can dig your registry...

A long shot but it has been done a # of times is a security hole someplace... only reason I mention is because it's everywhere - just type in 'hotmail' in some P2P file sharing programs and you'll see like, 'hack hotmail account.txt', get 'hotmail pw hack.doc' all are fake, or should I say all but a few because it has been done on a large scale and I'm sure many times on a small scale...

a4nic8er
Tempus Fugit, Carpe Cerevisi
join:2001-03-09
New Zealand

a4nic8er to Philmatic

to Philmatic
Hotmail passwords are all under the umbrella of M$ .NET system now. I believe the solution is to reset the password, as follows.
3. Click Continue.
4. Type the answer to your secret question.
5. Type your new password, and then retype it.
6. Click Continue.
The Your Password Has Been Reset page will appear, confirming that your password has been reset.

Note

If you have forgotten your secret answer or were not asked to provide it during registration, .NET Passport may allow you to reset your password by e-mail. You will see a Reset your password by e-mail link during the password reset process if this option is available to you.

Go to »lc3.law5.hotmail.passpor ··· in/login (Hotmail login page) and click the "Forgot Your Password?" link. (Alternatively, this link should take you straight there... »nexusrdr.passport.com/re ··· Reset&pm )

More info available at... »lc3.law5.hotmail.passpor ··· problems

Hope this helps.

Philmatic
Premium Member
Oxnard, CA

Philmatic

Premium Member

here is what i got...... question is there, and no way to opt-out
ezebob
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04
Ottawa, ON

ezebob

Premium Member

I had a similar expierence. E-mail Hotmail support.
Explain your situation to them.
Give them the old password and the date it was changed
to your new forgotten one. This information led to an e-mail from them with some additional information requested to verify that you are who you say you are and the then reset your password for you. This may take several days
depending on their work load and how hard it might be for them to confirm your identity.
here's the e-mail address for msn support
service_x@css.one.microsoft.com

Time Out$
Premium Member
join:2002-04-28
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$ to Philmatic

Premium Member

to Philmatic
This link works for everyone.

»lc2.law5.hotmail.passpor ··· _hotmail

click on..
Forgot Your Password?
To reset a forgotten Hotmail password. Follow the steps to gain access to your Hotmail account.

Then follow the screens>fill in the info.

tlamm
join:2000-10-20
canada

tlamm to Philmatic

to Philmatic
I forgot my password a few years ago. At that time I emailed them and since I made up all of my account info and skipped the hint/password section, they were no help at all.. I assume the majority of hotmail users dont enter real information..

I ended up waiting the six months of inactivity and re signed up under the same name..

Philmatic
Premium Member
Oxnard, CA

Philmatic

Premium Member

well she called microsoft directly and she got the problem resloved pretty quickly. Thanks for all your help guys.