spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shakur7
join:2003-05-22
Vancouver, BC

shakur7

webmail.shaw.ca

will shaw ever put "address book" feature in webmail?
I dont see why shaw is missing such a feature, telus has it !!!

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium Member
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC

emmpeethree

Premium Member

don't think they ever will unless you ask for it.

i think most people use it for remote retrieval purposes and use a program such as eudora/outlook for address books etc.
shakur7
Vancouver, BC

shakur7

yeah, I use it for remote retrieval as well, but when I recieved some information and want to forward this information to someone else, it'd be helpful if there is the addressbook function integrated in webmail.

rodst
Premium Member
join:2002-10-06
Victoria, BC

rodst to shakur7

Premium Member

to shakur7
I'd just be happy to be able to access the mail servers outside of the Shaw network.
Amar7
join:2001-07-20
Surrey, BC

Amar7

said by rodst:
I'd just be happy to be able to access the mail servers outside of the Shaw network.

me too

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium Member
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC

emmpeethree to shakur7

Premium Member

to shakur7
well, that's what they provide the webmail for.

if you think about it though, it makes sense.

that's why users outside shaw can't access shaw webspace via ftp etc.

alot easier for them to track down the heavy users/spammers etc if its all within their own network.

webmail is provided as a "bonus", @home offered no such thing.

rodst
Premium Member
join:2002-10-06
Victoria, BC

rodst

Premium Member

said by emmpeethree:
well, that's what they provide the webmail for.

if you think about it though, it makes sense.

that's why users outside shaw can't access shaw webspace via ftp etc.

alot easier for them to track down the heavy users/spammers etc if its all within their own network.

webmail is provided as a "bonus", @home offered no such thing.

I like to use my email client when I am off the Shaw network, hate webmail. @Home didn't have webmail but you could access the mail servers from any internet connection.
Amar7
Surrey, BC

Amar7

said by rodst:
I like to use my email client when I am off the Shaw network, hate webmail. @Home didn't have webmail but you could access the mail servers from any internet connection.
are u sure? cuz i never was able to on rogers@home or shaw@home. im glad they gave us webmail, but i would prefer remote pop and ftp access. the ftp doesn't really matter to me since i don't host a site off of shaw's webspace anymore, but i used to
bigdog2005
join:2002-03-13
Kelowna, BC

bigdog2005 to shakur7

to shakur7
I really wish I could access ftp from work.. there have been plenty of times where I have need to dump a large file somewhere... and it is alot easier to ftp it, and not glog up my webmail...

Like shakur said, it would be very helpful if they added an address book feature to the webmail. I don't like using outlook or other email clients, because I like being able to get all my mail from on location, and if I have to download that to my computer I won't have access to it anymore.(unless I set the program to save a copy on the server).

oh well, shaws choice i guess. ...
MustardMan
Sealand

MustardMan to shakur7

to shakur7
There are good reasons to not allow remote POP access. Not the least of which is exposing their mail servers to SPAMMERS who will try use their servers for relaying their garbage and covering their tracks. Also exposes them to hackers.
wilburyan
join:2002-08-01

wilburyan to bigdog2005

to bigdog2005
If your just using it for private use then set up an ftp server on your home pc.

CjGaughan
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
Orleans, ON

CjGaughan to Amar7

Premium Member

to Amar7
said by Amar7:
said by rodst:

me too
you can't??

I always check my email from school---well, i did, until the school blocked the website. They blocked any means of email at all. All we are allowed to use is the lousy school email address.
Amar7
Surrey, BC

Amar7

said by CjGaughan:
you can't??

I always check my email from school---well, i did, until the school blocked the website. They blocked any means of email at all. All we are allowed to use is the lousy school email address.

we are not talking about accessing the mail from webmail.shaw.ca. we are talking about connecting to the shaw pop3 mail server through a mail client such as outlook express.

CjGaughan
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
Orleans, ON

CjGaughan

Premium Member

ahh...got ya!!

i've never tried that...i just use the web address when i'm not on my own pc
bigdog2005
join:2002-03-13
Kelowna, BC

bigdog2005 to shakur7

to shakur7
quote:
If your just using it for private use then set up an ftp server on your home pc.
and violate the aup....naaaa I could never do that ...

Anon9999
@telus.net

Anon9999 to MustardMan

Anon

to MustardMan
That's SMTP acces