spc
Search similar:

uniqs

John Heffernan
@verizon.net

John Heffernan

Anon

Web Site Problems - Lock Errors

Anyone else seen this. On my personal Verizon web site, I am seeing intermittent 405 and File Not Found and 423 errors. Mac or PC, from home or work. I tried deleting all the files and uploading my site again but that only worked temporarily. Verizon is no help whatsoever and says they can't look at the web server logs and that it is not really supported...

I am using Dreamweaver to maintain my web site...

URL is mysite.verizon.net/johnheffernan/

Thanks for any help.
John Heffernan

John Heffernan

Anon

Here is what the browser displays for the lock error...

The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied.

bte52
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
Salisbury, MD

bte52

Premium Member

I tried the URL and got the same error. I suggest a call to tech support. Best of luck to you.

John Heffernan
@verizon.net

John Heffernan

Anon

Thanks but Tech Support says they can't help me (tried 2 calls)...

cavemonkey50
Monkey Madness
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Allentown, PA

cavemonkey50 to John Heffernan

Premium Member

to John Heffernan
It's working for me now.

ChrisDAT
djSpinnerCee
join:2002-02-26
Hollis, NY

ChrisDAT to John Heffernan

to John Heffernan
I'll just add that it happens sometimes -- it's usually temporary, and always frustrating -- a glitch in the matrix

clarkbhm
join:2001-02-23
Pittsburgh, PA

clarkbhm to John Heffernan

to John Heffernan
I've been getting this message a lot recently on my page as well... It's rather frustrating, although usually I can just refresh the page and the problem will go away. Does anyone know what's going on here?

John Heffernan
@verizon.net

John Heffernan

Anon

Yes, my site was useless for 2-3 days. Refresh did not help much for me. Must be something with their web server. Seems like they sub taht out though because basically they said support was limited. Weird...

My site seems OK now...

John

tipzCA
join:2003-11-02
Calgary, AB

tipzCA to John Heffernan

to John Heffernan
Rumour has it there's a new code roll for the verizon website coming in early May. Things will either get much better or much worse very soon.

Neal GC
@tampa1-4-4-131-094.t

Neal GC

Anon

I have been seeing the same thing on my site. A call to tech support resulted in a message on my answer machine that they had fixed the problem. The problem is even worse today.

BobFenster
@verizon.net

BobFenster

Anon

I called Verizon regarding precisely the same problem. I got a friendly operator who called her supervisor who tinkered with it for awhile. At first they thought it was fixed, but when it continued to come up locked, they "upgraded" it to the national tech support. This was two days ago, and they said I should call back in a couple days if the problem continues.

I find it hard to believe that they didn't know about this problem considering it seems to be affecting so many of us. Maybe they actually WERE in the dark and this call somehow got their attention.

Wishful thinking, probably.

My site is: »mysite.verizon.net/bobfenster. Try it. If you get a "locked" message on any of the 200 pages there, please post here.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

All pages that I tried smooth as silk. The PWS has had problems on and off for the last year or two. VZ hired Telrix (sp) to run it, code it, and it's been terrible ever since. My experience with it is just wait a few days and magically it works again. Use to be you could go to 0.verizon.adsl and Scott or Robin seemed to be able to pull the right chains to get it go again. Alas, they are gone now, and VZ just doesn't seem to care.

j in nyc
@ny325.east.verizon.n

j in nyc to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
I've been having exactly the same problem. Also it seems to take hours after any upload for the site to work properly, like displaying the right fonts (I did include the .css file that all the pages are linked to, and my site was created in GoLive).

bte52
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
Salisbury, MD

bte52 to John Heffernan

Premium Member

to John Heffernan
I've also had bouts of intermittent outages. I use my VOL personal webspace, among other things, to host images for some of my eBay auctions. It's a real hassle when they're not there. Hopefully it will get better....sooner rather than later.

machinetool
@verizon.net

machinetool to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
I'm about fed up with verizon. This resource is currently locked BS is getting REAL old as i can never get to my website. I called tech support, talked to a nice guy, but he was clueless and had never even heard of this before. Said it sounds like a webserver issue, so i asked to speak with a webadmin.. and he said "that isn't possible, as there is no way to contact them even for him". Talk about a bunch of crap.

I have great speeds and have never had a connection issue in 9 months of service, but am sick of this stuff. Maybe time to switch to cable modem.
bandit29415
join:2004-01-15
Kerhonkson, NY

bandit29415 to John Heffernan

to John Heffernan
Same problems here - intermittent locked thing. Usually the site itself works, but if I try to pull up an image directly it often gives me trouble. Very annoying!
khurt
join:2001-11-25
Princeton, NJ

khurt

I have had this "The requested resource is currently locked" problem on and off for over a month now. I use my web space to host a blog and currently it is not accessible because of this problem.

Frannie
@12.40.x.x

Frannie to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
It seems to be a permissions problem. if you right click on you index.htm/html file and give the Owner/Group and all users write permisions, it seems to take care of the problem
Frannie

Frannie to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
Forget my last statement. It was fine for most of the day after i made the permissions change, then all of sudden LOCK ERROR !

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW to John Heffernan

Premium Member

to John Heffernan

Can't log into FTP site either

I'm getting lock and "not found" errors on my personal web site today as well. In addition I cannot log into my FTP site. It always gives "Login Incorrect".

ChrisDAT
djSpinnerCee
join:2002-02-26
Hollis, NY

ChrisDAT to John Heffernan

to John Heffernan

Re: Web Site Problems - Lock Errors

I see it too sometimes -- The only thing I can gather is that there are limits to the number of accesses that are placed either on the individual PWP sites or the service as a whole -- I'm also inclined to believe that it is more a site-wide issue since it appears to strike multiple sites at the same time. I don't know if the lock errors are caused by heavy access at any one instant [too many connections, or bandwidth maxed out] and/or some other "back end" issue where the actual server that contains the data is having problems [thus the FTP problem as well]. My guess is that mysite.verizon.net is just a front for what could be NAS or NFS like data that is centrally located somewhere else, and that is where the problems are occurring. This probably means there is little we can do to either prevent, resolve, or cause this issue and just hope that the problem is addressed soon.
ballz97fm
join:2004-05-23
Woodbury, NJ

1 edit

ballz97fm

I just used horrible judgement and spoke with a fine piece of work at Verizon named Sherry via their online support tool. This bitch acted like she had no idea what I was talking about and said it may be related to the service upgrade they're doing right now. (I told her twice that the problem's been going on for weeks. The service upgrade started YESTERDAY.)

Then she had the nerve to ask ME to contact THEM again later. I told her to leave the ticket open so someone could ACTUALLY WORK ON IT and contact me, the paying customer. I told her that I work for an IT helpdesk for a huge corporation and that, even though my customers don't even pay for the service I'm helping them with, I have never once told someone to wait and call US back. What hideous customer service. She apologized for the inconvenience and I advised her that I'm PAYING FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

This wench had the nerve to reply by telling me that the web space is a "value-added feature of the DSL experience" and that I don't "have to use it." (Never mind that James Earl Jones touts the web space in the commercials while he tries to wrangle us away from Comcast.) I told her that it's clear she hates her job as much as everyone else who works for Verizon and to assign my ticket to someone with a better attitude.

Now someone named Christine has contacted me. [crossing my fingers for a better experience.]

Returning to Comcast is looking better and better every day. And with Comcast, your speeds are high enough to successfully use the Vonage phone service--which is far superior to what Verizon offers and a helluvalot cheaper! I can get Verizon out of my life completely and it's looking like a great option lately!

Sorudne
@lax-4-13-038-000.dsl

Sorudne to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
I have been getting the same error. Same response from tech support as well. They're very nice people, but don't seem to have any pull in getting the issue resolved. It has to be on the server end with everyone experiencing the same problem. I hope they get it fixed, I host a club website and folks aren't too happy when they can't get in.
kgeorge0
join:2004-06-04
Fairfax, VA

kgeorge0 to John Heffernan

to John Heffernan
Well, I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse. I am having the same issue - getting:
"The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied."
when I click on a link off of the main page.

I don't have the energy to contact tech support tonight. But if anyone else does, maybe they can point them to this thread to show that it is a wide spread issue. I recently switched from Cox, so this is not making a good first impression.

thumperinflorida
@tmp1-4.xx.168.xx.tmp

thumperinflorida to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
Found this site while trying to find out what's up with *The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied* error. I suspected it was due to bandwith usage. It seems to happen more frequently after I've added new pages and or made changes to pages. And like most of you...calling them is a joke.

ohgr
@uu.net

ohgr to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
I have had zero problems with my actual Dialup service with verizon for almost 8 years, but as soon as I decided to actually use my webspace, a few months ago I've been experiencing the same "LOCK" problems, and have not been allowed to log into my FTP for 6-8 hours at a time.

I too have called tech support, and yes, I can confirm that they are clueless about any problems with personal webspace. And their "System Status" page NEVER shows any problems with personal webspace. I could almost deal with the problems if they would just admit to us that in fact there is a problem, throw us a bone, give us a couple bucks back on the bill for the trouble.

At the very minimum they need to own up to the fact that there is a problem, and they can't hide it forever.
»mysite.verizon.net/silence7 (Might Be Locked)

Ohgr
izaa_c5
join:2004-05-20
Philadelphia, PA

izaa_c5

I have been using the PWS for almost a year and haven't had problems. Then a couple of months ago I couldn't get into FTP. I check my firewall activity log and noticed that it was blocking authentication requests from Verizon and preventing me from accessing FTP. I changed some settings and since then I've had no problems getting into FTP. My guess is that Verizon has been tweaking its systems to increase security and these changes don't agree with my firewall.

Then about a month ago, immediately after updating the site, I started getting lock errors. I waited to see if it would clear up on its own, I re-sent the files, I restored the original files from backup and nothing worked. My site was down for two days. Eventually, I checked the log file and sure enough, more authentication requests were being blocked during the FTP session (but these requests were coming from a different set of servers). The FTP session completed successfully and did not report any errors, but, all of the files changed during the session became locked. I made some more changes to my firewall settings and re-sent the files and the lock was gone.

I still get errors from time to time, but, I can usually make them go away without too much of a fuss.

Of course, it would be nice if someone at Verizon could give us this info. Instead of having to discover this by trial and error.

LoL
»mysite.verizon.net/izaa/ ··· dex.html

thumperinflorida
@tmp1-4.xx.168.xx.tmp

thumperinflorida

Anon

...I agree, fess up and just admit that you are having problems. I'd at least know that you are acknowledging that I exist.
If I was trying to run a business off this site, I'd really be pissed.

fazar
@sea1-4-4-077-227.sea

fazar to John Heffernan

Anon

to John Heffernan
I am having the same problem, If it does not get fixed i am going back to cable.

Rifterzone
@ny5030.east.verizon.

Rifterzone

Anon

This is a very annoying problem, especially if you are using your webspace to host pictures. Half the people looking at my auctions won't see the images! Verizon, own up you fuggers!