All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kostermw
join:2002-08-14
Netherlands

kostermw

[general] WAG54G Firmware V1.02.2 what a mess!

I had problems with FTP. Sessions got disconnected for no reason, so asked LinkSys for support. Advise was to upgrade firmware (of course ...). They had 1.01.7 on their web site so I upgraded from 1.01.6 (which was there when I bought this thing) to 1.01.7. BUT things got worse . Now nothing got forwarded anymore. Checked setting, double checked, resaved. Nothing! Not on port 20 or 21 nor 80.

Checked today if I downloaded the correct version, and noticed V1.02.2 popped up. Hoped this would repair the damage.

But no way!!!! This version disconnects the whole ADSL link every 5 minutes . What a mess!!!

Any others have experience with this firmware?
thosch_2
join:2004-04-27
GERMANY

thosch_2

Same here, for me its a internal http and smtp-server giving timeouts behind the WAG54G.
With the latest version 1.02.2 it got even more worse as pictures on the internal webpage are sometimes not loaded now. Before it the SMTP port was just timing out sometimes.
This issue was introduced with 1.01.7, 1.01.5 was working fine. verified this when downgraded to 1.01.5 again.

However there is a workaround: remove the ports from "single port forwarding" (remove them, not only disable - I found out they were still working even when disabled)!
After that add the port(s) to the port range forwarding, e.g. for FTP use 20-21 /TCP.

Even if you have only one port (e.g.http, port 80) forward it only in port range forwarding - NOT in single port.
This seems stupid, but this was the only reliable solution for me. external site monitoring (»www.siteuptime.com) verified this for me.

This is just one of the annoying bugs in the WAG54G firmware (current 1.02.2)...

A few others are:

- manual MTU can not be saved (PPPOE mode)
- logs are not showing why a connection is failing (wrong passwd, pppoe server timeout etc)
- SNMP: on all 3 interfaces outgoing octects are not increasing properly... incoming are fine
- SNMPV2c support with latest firmware ? Didnt worked... SNMPV2 queries are timing out, still only V1 working
- With 1.02.2 I'm finally getting notification mails from the device but guess what... they are empty.
kostermw
Netherlands

kostermw

Re: OK, thats helpful

Thanks. I now also have downgraded. Had V1.01.6 when I bought the device, but can't find that version anymore.

But now that V1.01.5 is installed, it seem reasonably stable. At least it is not "warm starting" every 10 minutes or so.

I am going to move the single ports to port-range forwarding. Thanks for the tip !
Metaone
join:2004-05-21
Turkey

Metaone

I have purchased my WAG54G two weeks ago with V1.01.6 firmware. I have upgraded it to V1.01.7 at once and I think it was working well. Then I happened to upgrade it to 1.02.2 and guess what, the device started to reset itself frequently without any reason. So I downgraded to V1.01.7, and it seems OK for now (I am not sure though). There may be other annoyances, however I may not be aware as I do not use all the features.

It is very frustrating for a company like Linksys, and hope they fix it ASAP.
Metaone

Metaone to kostermw

to kostermw

Re: [general] WAG54G Firmware V1.02.2 what a mess!

Linksys has published a new (!) firmware : V1.02.1

»www.linksys.com/internat ··· &coid=33

Let's try and see if it works.
kostermw
Netherlands

kostermw

Re: [general] WAG54G Firmware V1.02.0 what a mess!

Initially I wrote about the mess in V1.02.2 but I meant V1.02.0 Sorry, these numbers look so much alike.

Yeah, so now V1.02.1 is posted, while the release date is May 18, 2004. That is odd ... and no word about fixing the rebooting issue.

Well, I have managed to get around with V1.01.7 and setting the MTU fixed at 1300, because all my PCs on my network have their MTU also fixed on 1300. LinkSys support began asking about MTU, and I thought that might indeed be the problem. The automatic setting does thus not work as expected.

The reason why I put MTU on 1300 on my PCs was because I had problems with windows-update, hotmail and some other web sites.

ADSL with PPPoE allows for a max MTU 0f 1492 (not 1500), but for some reason that still gave problems. So I decided to lower it to 1300, and had no problems ever since.

Also I have allowed Anonymous Internet Requests (uncheck Block Anonymous Internet Requests in the Security tab) because ICMP messages should not be ignored.

Now that the router also has it manually set to 1300, things seems to behave as expected. After that I had no more FTP disconnects!

Please let me know your experiences with firmware V1.02.1
Metaone
join:2004-05-21
Turkey

Metaone

Well mine seems OK for now with V1.02.1, it has not crashed for whole day. I will keep an eye on it though