All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
beos_lin
join:2002-07-17

beos_lin

USR 8054 Change to D-Link 624+ Firmware

You can use the firmware to Change you USR8054 to D-link DI-624+.
And then update your firmware to v1.18.
My router work fine.

»tsd.dlink.com.tw/info.ns ··· _rom.bin

DI-624+ v1.18
»tsd.dlink.com.tw/info.ns ··· _nml.bin
gmaskell
join:2004-08-06
Australia

gmaskell

This sounds interesting. What happens when I upload the D-Link firmware? Do I still access the USR8054 box by the same user/update web page (192.169.123.254), do I still get the same (or similar) firmware update web pages i.e. »192.168.123.254/firmware.htm etc.. I am not familiar with the D-Link stuff, should I spend the next few days reading about D-link before giving it a go. I'm getting desperate so thinking of having a go anyway...
If this doesn't work then I'm sending the USR8054 back to USR so may need to backdate to vers USR1.17 so I cant be accussed of voiding the warranty.
Thanks for any suggestions.
daweeze02
join:2002-02-26
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
sweet it worked login with 192.168.0.1 admin/blank
Foxbat121
join:2001-04-25
Ashburn, VA

Foxbat121 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
Yeah, DLink uses 192.168.0.1 as default address for all its routers. Both 624+ and USR8054 came from the same Manufacturer, Global Sun Tech. The difference is firmware and case.
daweeze02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits

daweeze02 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
well it worked but my connection resets itself about every hour

also i cant flash back to the usr f/w this could be very bad. and the reset button does revert it back either

IgorKane
@140.192.x.x

IgorKane to beos_lin

Anon

to beos_lin
Wait, hold on... USRs have a different radio unit... and it still works?

To flash back you may want to try the "error recovery" procedure - hold down the reset button for 10 seconds (?), the router enters into recovery mode. In older units a TFTP server became available, so you could load the firmware file that way. Alternatively, the flash program (if the EXE is provided) can be used, but I think it is just a simple ftp client.
Foxbat121
join:2001-04-25
Ashburn, VA

Foxbat121

said by IgorKane:
Wait, hold on... USRs have a different radio unit... and it still works?

DLink 624+ (the Europe version) uses the same exact hardware as USR, i.e. it uses TI chip. The US version, which is called DI-624, uses non-TI chipset (from BroadCom to Atheros depending on hardware version).
daweeze02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02 to IgorKane

to IgorKane
i did the 10 second thing it still loads dlink. also i used the dlink crash recovery method that didnt help either. i also held down reset for 40 secs, usr says try that also but no go. its no longer rebooting but i had to disable wireless which sucks cause i really need it.

IgorKane
@140.192.x.x

IgorKane

Anon

I think this is what they meant by "At your own risk..."

keep trying... remember, if you want to go to the USR firmware, you have to follow the DLINK/USR procedure but use the USR firmware. do you not get the FTP port opening on the router?
IgorKane

IgorKane to Foxbat121

Anon

to Foxbat121
Taiwan... hardly in Europe

Sounds risky, there are two hardware revisions on the taiwanese support site. While their firmware may be a little better (and hopefully has fewer bugs, although continuos rebooting isn't a good sign), it may not be worth losing USR warranty over it just yet.
daweeze02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
what is this ftp procedure, a link would be greatly appreciated
will5
join:2004-08-19

will5 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
Hi everybody!
I am experiencing same problems after installing the d-link
624+ firmware on my usr 8054 wireless router.
Can't get back the original firmware.
I may be could live with it , because it works ok on the main computer, internet runs fast, but the problem is i do not get a signal to my wireless usb adapter, located on the second computer, unless there are any special settings,
did anybody have the wireless device working on another computers?
I sent an e-mail to technical support regarding any flashing utility, but still there is no response from them

techy11
@216.52.x.x

techy11 to beos_lin

Anon

to beos_lin
i did it and got trough tech support and got an RMA but when i shipped it to California they just send it back to me with a note that it was not under warranty anymore, so obviously they test there products before they replace them... oh well of to the store to buy another one....
will5

will5

yesterday i finally got a signal on my wireless usb adapter, and it works pretty well, no more frequent reboots
on the router like i experienced before with usr firmware.
By the way, i found out that hard reboot with a regular pen doesn't work, just because the tip of the pen doesn't touch
the button inside,
used an ear tip, held for ten seconds and router rebooted.
alexmil
join:2004-08-18

alexmil

Will, are you now able to get back the old USR firmware on your device? Have it rebooted since hard reset?
daweeze02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
ive done hard reboot several times and i can not get back to the old usr f/w, just reset to dlink everytime.

IgorKane
@140.192.x.x

IgorKane to beos_lin

Anon

to beos_lin
The emergency recovery procedure for D-Link devices (713p in this case) can be found here:

»support.dlink.com/faq/vi ··· 0DI-704P

Be aware, however, that you will have to play this by ear with the USR router. Also, you do not have a firmware utility, so after the router reboots, you have to use an ftp client to upload the firmware BIN file to the router. The address will be the same as the gateway IP address you've assigned, which could be either 192.168.0.1, .1.1, .123.254, etc etc etc, depending on what the router defaults to. You're on your own, USR won't help you, and at this point I am not willing to do this to my router just to write up detailed instructions. Good luck.
will5

will5 to alexmil

to alexmil
i couldn't find any procedure to get back to usr firmware,
still waiting for technical support to e-mail me if there are any utilities available for flashing, but they didn't get to me and probably i won't hear from them. But with d-link firmware i have a good signal and speed, usually 36-54,
and the router never rebooted itself
alexmil
join:2004-08-18

alexmil

Well, so why get back your USR firmware if you have found the solution that US Robotics isn't able to find?:D
Post updates also if your router will start in self-rebooting while using D-Link fw; I hope you can find a solution for restore it.

techie06
@nbnet.nb.ca

techie06

Anon

they dont gotta reply to ya cause you voided your warranty by upgrading to the dlink firmware.. looks like your SOL.
will5

will5

i received an e-mail from usrobotics,
they do not support other manufacturers firmware. That's it
will5

will5 to alexmil

to alexmil
absolutely no reboots.
Very stable.
No question,d-link firmware works better for me
htw
join:2004-04-18
Rio Rancho, NM

1 edit

htw to techie06

to techie06
I had a USR8054 sitting around, since I normally use a Linksys WRT54G, so I thought why not try this... since the USR Firmware sucks.

I have now had the 1.19 DI-624+ firmware running for 4 days, with no problems.

Here is my setup:

Actiontec GT701 in transparent bridge mode ->
USR 8054 WAN port.

Connected to the LAN ports of the 8054 are a MS Switch, Linksys print server, and 1 PC with built in Realtek ethernet.

Connected to the Switch are 3 other PC's, with 3Com ethernet cards. These are connected a bit of distance by cat5 cable through the location.

1 PC situated about 100 feet away using a Linksys wireless PCI card.

2 Notebook PC's, one with an Intel wireless PC card, the other with a Linksys wireless card.

Oh, and all the wireless clients except the PCI card are 802.11g, the card is 802.11b.

The wireless is set up with private SSID, 6 chars long, WPA-PSK encryption (TKIP). Best I can tell, this firmware does not support AES, it just does WPA-802.1x (Radius) and WPA-PSK(TKIP). There are no problems so far, the clients stay connected steadily, and get good signal and throughput. Wireless power is set to highest, with speed enhanced mode enabled.

Of course, on the hardwired side, no issues at all.

The built in DHCP server, while not needed, I enabled and disabled DHCP on the Win2k3 server (for testing). Using some static leases, some dynamic. All working great.

Have tried various things for incoming connections (Virtual Servers... heh), firewall'ing certain PC's for a time, or even throwing an old copy of Diablo 1 on a PC and trying it out.

The PC's, if using SSDP, do see the router via the upnp feature.

VPN passthrough, multicast streaming, dynamic DNS updates, all testing and working fine.

I have not tried DMZ function yet.

All log features were enabled, and for 4 days, no router resets and the DSL connection has not been dropped.

All-in-all, everything seems quite steady, and honestly I like this way better than the WRT54G (even with custom firmware), and definitely no contest as far as the USR Firmware goes.

I have not tried to see if you can recover the USR firmware, if you are having problems, but here are a couple suggestions:

1) When you do firmware flashes, please remember, it's best to reset to factory defaults, then reboot router, then flash, then reset factory defaults, reboot. THEN set your router up.

2) Try this recovery procedure for dlinks, I do not know if it'll work, but worth a try.

On a hardwired PC, config your TCP/IP properties manually with: IP 192.168.1.2 (or other unused IP from 2 to 254), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1. DNS can remain blank.

Unplug power cable from the router, hold in the reset button, plug it in. Keep holding the button for 15 seconds, then let it go.

This puts the router in crash recovery mode. There are two ways to try this recovery, via web interface, and via tftp.

For web, now open IE on the statically assigned IP PC, and go to »192.168.0.1. User admin, password blank. Select your USR firware file, and try to upgrade it.

For tftp, look on google or soemthing, and grab a tftp client. When you get the router in crash recovery mode as above, use the tftp program to send the USR firmware to the router.

Directly after the upgrade is finished (web or tftp), go to the router (leave it powered on), and reset it. Hold in the rest button for 15 seconds, the router will reset.

Now restore your PC to use DHCP (automatic), renew the lease, and see what IP information you have. If you have an IP in the 192.168.0.0 network, you're still dlink, if it's in the 192.168.1.0 network, you have USR. Either way, browse to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254 username admin password blank, to verify dlink is still there, or usr flash worked.

Honestly, if this doesn't work, I have no help for you.

Personally, I'm sticking with the dlink firmware.

Edit: Dyxlexic!
daweeze02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02 to beos_lin

to beos_lin
hmm oh well mine kept rebooting with the new 1.19 dlink f/w, so i just went back to my toshiba pcx4500 cable modem with 802.11g/routing and my netgear 8 port switch, im very happy with that.
daweeze02

daweeze02

UPDATE

before i had the USR connected to my switch through a crossover cord on the wan side, now i moved it into the other room, with a 50 ft cat5 cord running from the switch into the wan of the usr and then a patch cord into the another computer and its been a few hours and havnt lost my connection once, wired and wireless it seems stable now.
tommorrow im going to take my laptop outside and see if the USR has a stronger signal than the toshiba, the toshiba only has one antenna so we will see.
will5

will5 to htw

to htw
i was trying to find the 1.19 firmware upgrade on the web,
typed in d-link 624+ in the serch window,
nothing poped up, like this 624+ router doesn't exist.
Please, post a link to 1.19 firmware.
htw
join:2004-04-18
Rio Rancho, NM

htw

»ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/di_broad ··· 9b09.zip

ThomasLCQ
@16-136-217.adsl.skyn

ThomasLCQ

Anon

question :

why take the 1.19 when the 2.03 is available ?

so, for some of you, it works with a 808054 ... I'll myabe give it a try then ...
daweeze02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

daweeze02

b/c the 2.03 is for revision B and it doesnt work
stach
join:2002-03-28
Minnetonka, MN

stach to htw

to htw
htw1999, thanks for all your testing and the GREAT writeup! I am considering the DLink upgrade, but want to know for sure that it can be flashed back to the USR firmware. Since your USR8054 had been a spare and you know what you're doing, any chance that you could test the procedure to flash it back to the USR firmware for us?

Thanks again for the great writeup!
-Stach