All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kasperskytryer
@charter.com

kasperskytryer

Anon

Kaspersky nearly killed me! Pro or personal?

OMG! The noise that Kaspersky Personal 5.0 just made when it detected the EICAR test file I created nearly scared me to death. What is that screeching noise supposed to be from?

Anyway, I downloaded Kaspersky Personal 5.0 and it seems to work OK, resource usage within reason, easy-to-use, and I am considering buying it. From a person migrating from the free version of Avast!, is there anything that I will find missing in the personal version? Is it worth my money, as a home user who practices common sense and has never had a virus (knock on wood) to buy the pro version?

Thanks in advance.

Sid5
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Santa Maria, CA

Sid5

Premium Member

The price is pretty high for the pro. Myself, I would pass on the pro unless cash doesnt matter

Could you do me a favor and post some screen shots of Kaspersky 5.0 interface? I havent seen 5 yet.

Thanks

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

LoPhatPhuud to kasperskytryer

MVM

to kasperskytryer
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here ya go....

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

Randy Bell to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
I believe the "screeching noise" you speak of is the infamous "pig squeal" when KAV detects something. It does take a little getting used to, I must admit .. hehe ..

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to kasperskytryer

MVM

to kasperskytryer
LOL! I about freaked when I heard that pig squeal! I thought my HDD was biting the dust.

MapleLeaf
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Burnaby, BC

2 edits

3 recommendations

MapleLeaf to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
This is a voice of a wild boar (Sus scrofa Linnaeus)

Common names:
Wild boar, wild hog, feral pig, feral hog, Old World swine, razorback, Eurasian wild boar, and Russian wild boar

Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
I assume you can turn off the noise? I usually have my speakers turned off but if they were on I would hate some loud noise. I had KAV 5.0 briefly and 4.5 for a month's trial and had it detect lots of test viruses and never once heard a thing. However, I don't recall turning off sounds for KAV so I guess I had my speakers off. I know with NOD32 you can easily turn off obnoxious sounds. Why would you want to hear anything anyhow? The popup is plenty.

I know what a wild pig sounds like. I hear them when I am jogging and sometimes they run across my path. (One time eight wild boars ran across the road right in front of me)! I do not want to hear one coming from my av program.

richtig
Music Is Emotion
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19
Australia

richtig

Premium Member

Yes, KAV 5.0 has "turn off sound notification" as an option.

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

1 recommendation

bcool to MapleLeaf

Premium Member

to MapleLeaf
said by MapleLeaf:
This is a voice of a wild boar (Sus scrofa Linnaeus)

It's kind of cool that KAV really gets your attention upon detection. Pig squeal, eh? You know, that's funny, I can remember one summer in the 70's on the river when I was made to squeal... ah well, that's for another thread.

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA

StraitShoot

Premium Member

said by bcool:

It's kind of cool that KAV really gets your attention upon detection. Pig squeal, eh? You know, that's funny, I can remember one summer in the 70's on the river when I was made to squeal... ah well, that's for another thread.

Why don't you PM me and tell me all the details... LOL..

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

Drunkula to bcool

Premium Member

to bcool
said by bcool:
You know, that's funny, I can remember one summer in the 70's on the river when I was made to squeal... ah well, that's for another thread.

DOH!
mens rea
Premium Member
join:2002-01-31
Canada

1 recommendation

mens rea to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
said by kasperskytryer:
From a person migrating from the free version of Avast!, is there anything that I will find missing in the personal version? Is it worth my money, as a home user who practices common sense and has never had a virus (knock on wood) to buy the pro version?
KAV Pro has two added features, Office Guard and Inspector, the former offering advanced heuristic protection for macro viruses (most useful in a business climate using MS Office documents) and the latter offering a data integrity checker that will monitor alterations or changes to your files, over and above the protection offered by normal AV heuristics and signatures.

At this time KAV Personal Pro is much more configurable than KAV 5 Personal. There is a maintenance release for KAV 5 Personal planned for around mid October where it is anticipated KAV labs will address user concerns over handling of quarantine files, ADS streams and tags (NTFS), command line options, amongst other things.

At present KAV 5 Personal, although lacking the configurable settings of previous KAV Personal versions, is an easy to use, extremely effective AV program.

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

1 edit

Martinus to bcool

Premium Member

to bcool
said by bcool:
I can remember one summer in the 70's on the river when I was made to squeal...
I've heard some about some spooky things happening at the Ozarks after dark. I'm sure it's a lovely place by daylight though

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

1 recommendation

bcool

Premium Member

said by Martinus:
"...spooky things happening at the Ozarks after dark. I'm sure it's a lovely place by daylight though"

Actually it's not too bad here at night either. I just couldn't resist alluding to Deliverance - a remarkable movie in retrospect. But I digress...
mvdu
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Collegeville, PA

mvdu to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
I'm going to stay with KAV 4.5 until they add more configuration to 5. I can't afford the pro version right now, and I don't think you should have to pay for the extra configuration anyway.
Inernetjunky
join:2003-11-07
USA

Inernetjunky to kasperskytryer

to kasperskytryer
I gave KAV 5.0 trial version a try. I have a thread here asking a question about it's on demand scanner. There was something else about KAV 5.0 that caught my attention. When I ran the eicar test, it of course caught the eicar.com but it didn't catch the eicar zip and zip2 until I tried to open them. I thought for sure KAV would catch them when trying to download them. Even Panda Platinum and Trend Micro catch the zips before opening. I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter because everything inside the zip is harmless until you open it. But I like seeing the caught before opening. Just my preference.

I had the real time scanner set to maximum protection.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

Randy Bell

Premium Member

KAV 4.5 Scan Options-Settings
said by Inernetjunky:
I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter because everything inside the zip is harmless until you open it. But I like seeing the caught before opening. Just my preference.
Maybe KAV 4.5 would be better for you, as it is set by default to scan compound files, which should accomplish what you are wanting {i.e. intercepting zip archives, etc.} Certainly I would't base opinion on EICAR; I would base opinion on the huge database; on the excellent trojan detection; on the 1000+ runtime unpackers-decrypters {many more than other AVs}; on the coverage of a wide range of malware {virus, worm, trojan, dropper, keylogger, password stealer, spyware, exploit, downloader, etc.}; on the 10 to 12 updates per day; on the fast response-time of KL to new nasties; etc.
mens rea
Premium Member
join:2002-01-31
Canada

mens rea to Inernetjunky

Premium Member

to Inernetjunky
said by internetjunky:
But I like seeing the caught before opening.
No need to attempt to open the file. Right click on the zip file and choose the KAV scan option (recommended settings), and the contents will be scanned, and in EICAR's case detected.

keith2468
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

keith2468 to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
You can change the noise or turn it off -- but why would you?

It is a most notable noise for a most notable issue.
Flizesh
Premium Member
join:2003-08-16
United State

Flizesh to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
yeah, that damn sound scared the poop out of me the first couple times i heard it.

raydog1
Feel Secure
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10
La Vergne, TN

raydog1 to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
Actually, you can change the sound to anything you like. Go to Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Sounds and scroll down to the KAV sounds. Or you can just replace the Alert wav in the KAV program folder with anything that floats your boat. Just change the name of the wav to match the alert that you want to change and delete the original.

Mine is a nice little beep.
Inernetjunky
join:2003-11-07
USA

Inernetjunky to Randy Bell

to Randy Bell
Attachments:

KAV 4.5 Scan Options-Settings

said by Inernetjunky :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter because everything inside the zip is harmless until you open it. But I like seeing the caught before opening. Just my preference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
said by Randy
quote:
Certainly I would't base opinion on EICAR; I would base opinion on the huge database; on the excellent trojan detection; on the 1000+ runtime unpackers-decrypters {many more than other AVs}; on the coverage of a wide range of malware {virus, worm, trojan, dropper, keylogger, password stealer, spyware, exploit, downloader, etc.}; on the 10 to 12 updates per day; on the fast response-time of KL to new nasties; etc.
You might have a point there, Randy.:)
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to keith2468

Premium Member

to keith2468
said by keith2468:
You can change the noise or turn it off -- but why would you?

It is a most notable noise for a most notable issue.

But would you want to hear that sound, or any sound, 525 times? We were all testing our avs recently with those 525 viruses that had been renamed so weren't harmful. When I tested KAV I nust have had my speakers off.
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

1 edit

IGGY9 to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
Been using this software since 1999 and still can't train myself not to jump when the pig goes off. Maybe it's just me.:)

For most users the personal version will meet there needs and budget. The Pro version I'm sure will have the old add-ons and be more configurable. When it comes out in it's 5.0 form. Many users originally chosen Kaspersky do to it's high detection rate, it's adding malware / spyware detection before most others ( as long as you use the extended databases ) and the high level of being able to tweak or configure the software. A lot of users miss this with the 5.0 personal build.

For me Pro has some features making it worth the $80.

integrated OfficeGuard™ technology protects MS Office applications

Data integrity
Personal Pro also includes an Inspector module that traces all changes occurring on your PC, such as: altering, deleting or creating files. All of these activities can be signs of a virus infection. By checking only modified or new files, the solution increases both speed and effectiveness. If Personal Pro detects any viruses, you are able to restore the file to its original state and delete the infected object.

Stopping script viruses
Classic antivirus solutions are incapable of stopping script viruses from infecting RAM. Kaspersky Anti-Virus can, due to the built-in Script Checker. Script Checker serves as a filter between scripts and the corresponding application, which means all scripts run on your PC are scanned before being executed.

If I'm correct 5.0 personal no longer has the last one above. ( Script Checker ). If it's there I've missed it.

Pro-active protection from macro viruses
Kaspersky Anti-Virus ensures total control over macros in all MS Office documents and halts all suspicious activity. This means that you are guaranteed almost total protection from macro-viruses, including unknown ones. Your MS Office documents are safe!

More opinions and many previous threads on the differences between the versions. Can be found here »kav.iggyz.com

I now see mens rea See Profile posted a good chunk of this already. Hopefully my comments aren't to big of a rehash.:)

habya
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL

habya to kasperskytryer

Premium Member

to kasperskytryer
startrekintr···lert.zip
57,668 bytes
(startrekintruderalert.wav)
This is just to comment on the pig squeal sound you are all talking about. My personal preference for a detection alert is from the Star Trek movie. Just shorten it down to saying it maybe once or twice then adding it as the alert sound.