Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

acadiel

Premium Member

[News] Speed increases for Insight!

Happy thanksgiving!!!!

Just got this from my inside contact at Insight.....

Date: November 24, 2004 12:26:41 PM CST
To: "'xxxxxxxx xxxxxx'"
Subject: RE: Port blocking?

xxx - I did check with Louisville- we are not using Sandvine, it took a while to find out about it - but according to or TSG, they said not in Illinois.

Next- on Monday, we will be increasing upload speeds to 384Kbps for regular residential users.
The Insight Plus service will increase from 384 upload to 512 with a download of 6Mbps

Press release will go out Monday- just thought I would give you a heads up.

hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving
xxxx xxxxxxx

MHaysley
@insightBB.com

MHaysley

Anon

AHHH Thanks For The Info.
This Would Be Real Nice.
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

1 edit

IGGY9 to acadiel

Premium Member

to acadiel
If true this is to funny. Since I just downgraded from plus. Insight is still trying to compete on download only. The plus should be at 768 not 512. It's nice to see the standard tier getting an extra 128 upload. That definitely makes that package worthwhile. Especially for the price if you have their cable. When and if this news goes live. We'll be upgrading back to the plus package. We also be paying $10 more a month because we are dropping their cable service come Monday. I just added a blog post on this here »iggy.gnomeblog.com/blog/ ··· 572.html or just hit the main page.

MHaysley
@insightBB.com

MHaysley to acadiel

Anon

to acadiel
Well Im On The Standard Tier Along With Their Cable So This Is Very Good To Hear That I'll Be Getting More Upload At No Extra Cost, Hope This Is True.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta

acadiel

Premium Member

This is a VP... so I'm pretty sure what he's saying is true. I'll e-mail him if things don't follow through, but I think they will.

I look forward to the press release on Monday - if any of you guys find it, post it here!
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Your information was solid. Take a look at my new thread!!
indy0365
join:2001-08-25
Franklin, IN

indy0365 to acadiel

to acadiel
The Insight standard tier will be highly competitive at 4000/384 at $34.95 if you have a certain tier cable package. The upgrade to 384 for the standard tier is long overdue. The Insight upgrade for that tier to 256 just wasn't competitive. The plus package after rumored upgrade will be 6000/512 for an extra $34.95 a month on top of the standard tier. Again as long as you have a certain level of cable TV from them. This is decent but not 100% competitive with offers from Insight's competition in areas they serve.

from mr mrs iggy blog interesting stuff what I found funny was there was a ad for insight broadband 19.95 a month for new users
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Yea that was most likely a Google text ad. The funny thing is the company that pays Google for that ad used to not offer Insight as an option when they had an affiliate program a few years back. They have since closed their affiliate program. I was a part of it when they had it.

The $19.95 offer has been around for awhile. Which shows Insight seems to have listened to feedback given in this forum. Many of us here stated that the original $19.95 @Home offer is what got us in the door - so to speak. Insight finally got smart and put that back into play.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

INSIGHT is also talking about new plus package pricing
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

I saw your post here »[News] Upgrade is here Our local phone rep made no mention of a price change up or down. The usual sources haven't dropped any information yet. Which is highly unusual. I would also think that acadiel See Profile source would have mentioned a price change. As long as the pricing is lower I'm happy.:) I'm not sure how current this data is.

The Price of Comcast HSI varies.

Standard - Silver
With Cable and your own modem : $42.95
Modem Rental: $3.00

Standard - Gold
With Cable and your own modem : $52.95
Modem Rental: $3.00

Home Networking - Silver
With Cable and purchased Comcast Equipment: $42.95
Equipment Rental: $5.00

Home Networking - Gold
With Cable and purchased Comcast Equipment: $52.95
Equipment Rental: $5.00

Add $15 to any package for non-Cable customers.

*These prices can vary and are subject to change.

» ··· faq/7024
airjrdn
join:2004-09-02
Springfield, IL

airjrdn to acadiel

to acadiel
Just an FYI, I'm in Springfield, IL and after a modem reboot, I've still not seen any upgrade beyond the 4M one.

I'd gladly go down to 2M down if they'd just fix my stupid packetloss issues.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

I've not see anything above the tier of 4000/384 yet. I thought they would keep with previous ways of doing things. And do an early rollout. Looks like that isn't going to happen. Unless they do something late this evening.
fbelcher
join:2000-06-21
East Peoria, IL

fbelcher to acadiel

to acadiel
I think we got had on the announcement of a increase for Mon.....Its here and no increase.

UnionJax
join:2002-09-25
Richmond, IN

UnionJax

Maybe they meant next Monday

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

said by UnionJax:

Maybe they meant next Monday
well monday is not over for another 8 hours and 49 minutes
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Well I've not looked at the other threads yet. But this par for the course. Just like Insight to be late for the party. They did so well last time with the last upgrade. To bad they didn't follow suite this time.
Satin Knight
join:2004-09-05
47374-6672

Satin Knight

Just talk to a Tech. he told me that the speeds are going up 4000/384 and 6000/512 as of Wednesday December the 1ST

MHaysley
@insightBB.com

MHaysley to acadiel

Anon

to acadiel
No, I'm Sure They Must Be Checking Over Everything To Make Sure It's A Success When the upgrade Is Released To Make Sure No Problems Happen When Everyone Gets The Upgrade.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

1 edit

IGGY9 to Satin Knight

Premium Member

to Satin Knight
Well they need to make up their mind. Their playing the same game they have been playing for months now. I wouldn't have upgraded back to plus if I was aware they hadn't fully gotten their act together. You have to wonder about a company who can't stick to their word. It also makes you wonder why they can't at the very least release the press release on the day they stated they would. Guess the company is just trying to put egg on the faces of some of us users here. And maybe trying to do the same to this site. Oh I know it was some technical error - this or that - that has caused the delay. Or they'll put the blame on AT&T. And if that fails they can always find a way to blame it all on their customers.
ISUGeek
join:2004-09-04
Beverly Hills, CA

ISUGeek to Satin Knight

to Satin Knight
said by Satin Knight:

Just talk to a Tech. he told me that the speeds are going up 4000/384 and 6000/512 as of Wednesday December the 1ST
That doesn't surprise me. I was up all night just waiting, then started to think about it for a second and wondered why the would do it before the first. Too bad I didn't think about that until 2am.:(

I also downgraded to the basic and then heard about the increase and upgraded again. Boy was that upgrade quick, about 4 hours. Is it really that simple to do? Is it just basically pressing a button (or so)?

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

acadiel

Premium Member

This is what I just got from my VP friend.... its consistent with what Satin Knight said above.

Date: November 29, 2004 12:37:30 PM CST
Subject: RE: Port blocking?

I guess that I was a little quick in telling you about the upgrades- it starts after the 1st of Dec- but at least you know it is coming- I will send you another email with the exact date.

IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Well they need to make up their mind soon. Because I'm feeling in a downgrading mood. The mention of new pricing has me extremely worried. And if they stick a high fee for non cable users. This household is going to have to look at the numbers before our jump to satellite. I'll live with a $10 extra charge per month for non-cable users. But they start talking $15 or more then we may have to stay put. Which really stinks. Personally I feel such fees should be made illegal. And honestly if they would offer satellite options and pricing. We wouldn't even have to consider leaving.

MHaysley
@insightBB.com

MHaysley to acadiel

Anon

to acadiel
Well I Was Waiting Today For The Upgrade But That Won't Happen So It Won't Hurt To Wait 2 More Days But Remember Last Time We Were Upgraded Early, What Makes You Think That Won't Happen Again Like Last Time.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Because early according to the information we had. Would have been last night. Do to the fact that available information stated a press release on this Monday. Which normally would mean ( from past experience ) that the update would have been rolled out by now. They always do their press release after the update has gone live.
airjrdn
join:2004-09-02
Springfield, IL

airjrdn

I thought I'd chime in w/what I could.

I have the regular package, currently 4M/256K. I have basic cable ($12/month) and since I have both, I get a $10/month discount, meaning cable costs me about 2 bucks a month. That's basic...the first 23 channels. FWIW, I have a standalone Tivo hooked to this.

I also have DTV w/2 DTV/Tivo receivers. I'm also getting locals via a 2nd dish. That means I actually get the first 23 channels or so on each system, cable & dish. Dish looks about 50% better, but in the strange event that it goes out, I can still record my shows.

As for upgrades, I was told by a supervisor at Insight that more speed increases are coming in the "next month or two". He said either 5M or 6M down and possibly an upgrade in upload speed as well. He didn't mention whether or not it was for the standard tier or the "plus" tier. I believe at one point he knew I wasn't in the "plus" tier, but your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not he remembered that when telling me about the upgrade.

I realize the satellite talk is a little OT, but it was referenced in a prior post so I thought I'd state it in case anyone was curious about anything I could help with.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

i called today and the rep told me wend or tuesday at midnight so I will upgrade when it happens

robbyg627
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Bradenton, FL

1 recommendation

robbyg627 to acadiel

Premium Member

to acadiel
I saw a memo that says the new launch date is Dec. 1st.
I hope it is true. I might have to get the plus tier after the change.