Search similar:

uniqs

DarrenL
@ntl.com

DarrenL

Anon

WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe 50% to 95% CPU

Hi,

Has any one have Belkin wireless drivers loaded that seam to run a process called WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe running that takes up lots of CPU?

This occurs on 2 machines, WinXP Pro and WinXP Home, one with the High Speed Wireless G PCI card (F5D7001uk) the other the High Speed Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011uk).

I suspect this is related to Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service, but stopping or disabling this service makes no difference.

Can anyone offer any advice?, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Darren

jonazen
Be Like Water My Friend
Premium Member
join:2004-02-18
Princeton Junction, NJ

jonazen

Premium Member

Re: WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe 50% to 95% C

Darren -

This is pretty odd. If you do a web search on the file name you describe, there are literally only 2 other people who have, in recent years, posted a question about a file and/or process with this name.

I'm wondering if this isn't really some form of malware - like spyware or a trojan? I've never seen a process like this before, and there's no reason for a WiFi driver to install a process like this. When you install a WiFi driver, you should still be free to indicate to Windows XP that you either want to allow the drivers management program control your connection, or have Windows manage your wireless connection. There's no reason for the driver install to run something to disable your XP Zero config service.

Have you tried running Spybot and Adaware (as well as updated antivirus) on these two machines?
preacherphil
join:2004-07-20
Willshire, OH

preacherphil

I had the same results after I loaded the Windows updated driver. I removed them and loaded the HP drivers from HP the issue then went away.

DarrenL
@ntl.com

DarrenL to jonazen

Anon

to jonazen
Jonazen,

That was my intitial reaction, but the executable is supplied by the belkin installation, if you download a belkin WiFi driver like:

F5D7000 802.11g driver:

»web.belkin.com/support/d ··· 5&lang=1

Use winzip to extract the files you see that the WinXPDisableZeroConfigation.exe is part of the drivers install, which makes me think that this isn't some sypware as its supplied by Belkin?.

Darren

jonazen
Be Like Water My Friend
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

jonazen

Premium Member

Darren -

Makes sense, although I can't imagine why they did that. Doesn't seem like the best choice for them to have made.

_KC_
@cable.wanadoo.nl

_KC_ to DarrenL

Anon

to DarrenL

Re: WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe 50% to 95% CPU

I have exact the same problem with 2 machines with XP pro, killing the service gives no difference. I use the wireless G pcicard.

KC

DarrenL
@ntl.com

DarrenL

Anon

Hi,

After a few emails with Belkin technical support they finally came up with the following solution....

-----------

The issue that you are having with the CPU reaching 100% is due to the program winxpdisablezeroconfig.exe not being able to terminate the windows wireless support functionality.

This issue is something that we have seen on a small number of computers.

To resolve this issue please follow the instructions below.

Click start, run
In the run box type msconfig and then click o.k.
Click on the startup tab.
Uncheck winxpdisablezeroconfig.exe

And then click o.k. and then reboot the computer.

Using the process above will stop this process from running and will not cause any other problems.

-----------

Seems to work ok.

Darren

jonazen
Be Like Water My Friend
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

jonazen

Premium Member

Re: WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe 50% to 95% C

Good solution. I'm guessing that the problem with the exe not being able to terminate windows zero config has to do with security levels. Zero config probably runs as "system", and the Belkin util may not be running at the level necessary to be able to kill a system process or service.

wes02145
@kumpen.be

wes02145 to DarrenL

Anon

to DarrenL
Thanks guys, finally a solution i can understand, the other links offered by google where in a freaky language...

thanks again

the alien
@217.9.x.x

the alien to DarrenL

Anon

to DarrenL
I had the same problem, disabling the exe seems to work. Thx.

G0V
@dsl.scarlet.be

G0V

Anon

Same problem here, good solution, looks like it's solved on my Toshiba Satelite with a Belkin G "125" card.

Thank you.

Jim RY
@bawag.com

Jim RY to DarrenL

Anon

to DarrenL

Re: WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe 50% to 95% CPU

Solved my prb also. Thanks for the info...

ham radio operator
@193.205.x.x

ham radio operator to DarrenL

Anon

to DarrenL
Hi, I bought the same card today 21 jan 2005.. I had the same problem with the winxpdisablezeroconfiguration.exe process taking up 99% of my CPU.. after hours I found the software was 6 months old.. and a newer version made in downloadable from belkin uk was available.. I tried and it finally works!!! the process is not there.. and CPU usage is again ok..