spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kawaxed
join:2004-08-22
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

[Tweak Test] Optimizing Comcast 6mb download service

Hello, I am relatively new to tweaking braodband connections and have seen some intelligent folks here. So I am asking for help. I recently upgraded to Comcasts 6mb dowload service. It doesnt seem optimized to me. I have drtcip and used the tweak settings. For one thing it tells me to enably my MTU to 1500 which I have done ( Actually set it to 1492 and get 100 efiiciency) but the tweak test will still say set MTU to 1500 ( it even said that when it was). So how do I fix that? Also how can I get to 6mb download speeds. I am only getting around 4.5? here are my test reports

»ttester.broadbandreports ··· a=normal

I have checked for spyware am running Xp pro Sp2 without Windows firewall. I have sygate pro and a Netgear fr114p firewall router. Havent tried without the firewalls as I would like to optimize with them running. Thanks you in advance
kawaxed

kawaxed

Re: [Tweak Test] Optimizing Comcast 6mb download s

Here are the setting in my Dr. TCP

Rwin65535
all others to default with my networking card Mtu set to 1492 as that seems to work the best for me.

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik to kawaxed

to kawaxed
You're on a cable connection no need to specify your MTU to 1492 when you can take full advantage of 1500. Go into your router and change your MTU to 1500 under LAN IP Setup. Once you're done:

•Download a file from here note your speed at 40% and post it in your thread.
•Post best of three speed tests from »sfo.speakeasy.net once you reboot your computer.
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

My download speed at 40% was 347kb/sec

1st speed test
»/speed ··· 17261874

2nd
»/speed ··· 17262037

3rd
»/speed ··· 17262068

Again out of curiosity I did a speed test with Mtu @ 1492

»/speed ··· 17262192

Seems a little faster with it at 1492 but again 4.4mb's isnt the 6mb download I am paying for. So far this is exactly the same scores I got with the 4mb download service. Arg :{

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

4 edits

Johkal

MVM

Even though you want the router in line while you tweak, you need to see if it is the variable holding you back. Take the router out, go directly from PC to modem & do your tests again. Stay with an MTU of 1500 while doing any further testing.
Show me a new tweak test, line test and 3 speed tests.
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

Ok here they are with direct connection to my pc and sygate pro shut off with an MTU of 1500.

Tweak test
»ttester.broadbandreports ··· a=normal Wow I see without my router I am pingable and it doesnt tell me to set MTU to 1500 even though it was) I have set my router up according to this site but its not working. I will double check. But first need to optimize without it :}

Speed tests

Seems its not my router affecting my download speed as its only slightly faster without it

Line test
» ··· /1748066

Hopefully I can get to 6:D

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

At this point, it unfortunately points to an ISP network issue or a variable of the Modem not performing as it should.
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

1 recommendation

kawaxed

Ya I called comcast and told them my download speed hasn't improved. They say my ping is excellent and there is no other trouble at the time. They say the "ZAP" the modem when I unplug it whatever that means and tell me to call back later. It didn't help. I called and have a trouble ticket in. I'll keep you posted.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

If you just unplugged it, find the reset button and hold it in for 20 seconds and see if that helps.
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

Tried that too and no improvement...
kawaxed

kawaxed

On the upside with this 6000/768 service my upload speed has doubled but my download speed after numerous tweaks remains the same. Damn 4.5mb barrier

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Your problem is with the CMTS 67.181.0.130. Take a look at that 1100ms ping spike that the LQT shows.

I just did a series of tests to that CMTS and I was spiking at 600ms.

Your ISP has an issue. You need to have them look st the CMTS (67.181.0.130). Ask them to ping that IP for 2 minutes and see what the times are.
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

Thanks. Anyways the tech came out and tried 3 differnet Modems with no success.He called the tech department or wherever and they say the " Node " in stockton and the Manteca area is faulty and not delivering the 6mb speeds...... Its a holiday weekend and he told me to bug them on Tuesday. I called and Buged them today tried to get a discount or a credit and failed at both. Hopefully they fix it soon.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to kawaxed

Premium Member

to kawaxed

Re: [Tweak Test] Optimizing Comcast 6mb download service

Use DrTcp with an RWIN size of 128480. This will also turn scaling on when you set that RWIN size. Reboot computer. And then post new Tweak test results and a couple new speed tests to sfo.speakeasy.net. Let's see if the RWIN is throttling you from getting the higher speeds.
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

Re: [Tweak Test] Optimizing Comcast 6mb download s

Ok thanks here it is
Tweak test
»ttester.broadbandreports ··· terpppoe

Speed Tests

»/speed ··· 17419711

Well I am closer than I was but still not 6mb.:(

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Looking better, but your MTU size is still off. Did you set the MTU in your router to 1500 as suggested by Lanik in his post above?

P.S. Netgear routers usually have the MTU size option on the menu item called WAN Setup.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to kawaxed

MVM

to kawaxed
What did you do to get the MTU to change from this Tweak Test? »ttester.broadbandreports ··· a=normal
kawaxed
Stockton, CA

kawaxed

I have the Mtu set to 1500 in my router and in my network connections using Dr. Tcp so its odd that its showing 1468. In that tweak test I was connected directly to my computer. I disconnected my router. I am now running with my router again. Its a Netgear Fr114p with a scientific atlana dpc 2100 series modem

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Maybe the router is messing with the MTU. Try this site both with and without the router and see what it reports.

Run the test at »www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php and post here what it shows for the following:

MTU:
MSS:
Default Receive Window:
MTU Discovery:
Timestamps
Selective Acknowledgements