join:2004-09-04
Earth

2 edits

SweetDelight

Premium Member

[X] [x86] Mac Os X.4.1 Shows up on a Dell Near you

Report: Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 12:14 PM EST

"There is nothing at all that prevents the version of Mac OS X that runs on the developer transition machines from running on any PC with compatible components," Jeff Harrell writes for The Shape of Days. "The Intel-based Power Macintoshes that Apple is showing at their developer conference are based on an Intel motherboard, generic Intel graphics and off-the-shelf Pentium 4 CPUs... I estimate that we’re down to a matter of hours before Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hardware is available for download on Internet software piracy sites and peer-to-peer piracy networks. (Update: A reader who for obvious reasons wishes to remain anonymous just demonstrated to me that the software is, in fact, already available on Internet software piracy sites.) If I can think through this stuff, Apple’s management can think through this stuff. This is the most awe-inspiring stealth marketing move I’ve ever seen."

"According to reports, Apple’s bundled iLife applications, major selling points for the Mac operating system, are already Intel-native and run at full speed... Given Apple’s experiences with software piracy, particularly the rampant software piracy that spread developer builds of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger all over the Internet this past spring, Apple’s management from the top down knows full well that this developer preview will be in the hands of every kid with a cable modem within days of its release. Most of them will be able to install it on their own computers and run it and the full suite of iLife ’05 applications at full speed, and run most existing Mac software in translation. As a result, Apple will give thousands, possibly millions, of people a taste of Mac OS X running full speed on their own PCs. Apple’s giving their potential future customers a free taste, that’s what they’re doing. It’s a try-before-you-buy deal," Harrell writes.

Full article here.

( site "slashdotted" »macdailynews.com/index.p ··· ts/6012/)
[/Unconfirmed ]
--
! Shocking news

hyperjoe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Gates Mills, OH

hyperjoe

Premium Member

at this point, I will believe anything.

gabeman
join:2001-05-03
New York, NY

gabeman to SweetDelight

to SweetDelight

Re: [X] [x86] Mac Os X.4.1 Shows up on a Dell Near

Man, that CANNOT be good for Apple *if* it is true. I have some pretty reliable sources for this kind of stuff and they're coming up empty handed, so my guess is this is fake.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to SweetDelight

Premium Member

to SweetDelight
Id like to think Apple is a little more intelligent than to allow anyone to run OS X on anything.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by The Dv8or:

Id like to think Apple is a little more intelligent than to allow anyone to run OS X on anything.

. . . other then a Mac . . .

SweetDelight
lagomorph
Premium Member
Earth

SweetDelight

Premium Member

i hope it isnt real-legit-, but then you just know theyre going to have a bunch of emulators to emulate the hardware to run inside windows its just a matter of time but lets hope that doesnt happen

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by Coma:
said by The Dv8or:

. . . other then a Mac . . .

I have multiple Mac's so I got the Tiger family pack and Apple has a media exchange program, in which you send in your DVD along with one of those Software Coupons that nobody every figured out what to do with, then Apple will send you 5 Cd's for your boxes that don't have DVD drives.

. . . . anyway the first CD to start the install process does nothing except to check the machine, if it's a Mac, then it asks for disk 2 which is the system installer.

. . . . anyway, Its impossible to run Tiger on a Dell.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos to SweetDelight

to SweetDelight

Re: [X] [x86] Mac Os X.4.1 Shows up on a Dell Near you

This has to be just a clone of the HD on the development machines if it's true. There wouldn't be any DVD/CD installer disks available to anybody so that's the only way they could get it to run on another machine.

MarkyD
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

said by yabos:

This has to be just a clone of the HD on the development machines if it's true. There wouldn't be any DVD/CD installer disks available to anybody so that's the only way they could get it to run on another machine.
I'm sure that's exactly right. You'll have to have basically an exact replica of the dev machine for this to work. I can't imagine the copy of OS X X86 they're releasing to developers is going to have tons of drivers for different platforms. I'm sure it's locked down to that specific configuration they have on the dev machines.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by MarkyD:
said by yabos:

I'm sure that's exactly right. You'll have to have basically an exact replica of the dev machine for this to work. I can't imagine the copy of OS X X86 they're releasing to developers is going to have tons of drivers for different platforms. I'm sure it's locked down to that specific configuration they have on the dev machines.
Yeah you know you are right, because nothing ever gets hacked on the internet last I checked no one was able to break locks installed by software/hardware companies..oh damn my sarcasm device must be stuck on full blast today let me see if I can do something about that...Face it everyone, Apple has a huge hill to climb if they want to keep everything on lock down, they got this far into the x86 project with out leaks, it will be another two years to see if it pays off. My bet is it won't happen, their are just to many people out there willing to do some extra leg work to get OS X fully installed on their own choice PC not some Apple design.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to MarkyD

MVM,

to MarkyD
said by MarkyD:
said by yabos:

The thing that i've always wondered is, are the darwin kernel extensions compatible with OS X's kernel? Darwin already runs on a ton of x86 machines.. if they can get those kernel extensions to work with OS X, there isn't really anything stopping them, unless apple has implemented some checks we do not know about. Intel processors/motherboards have serial numbers? maybe it's tied to the number (then again, a few min/hours/days of hacking could probably get rid of that)

SweetDelight
lagomorph
Premium Member
Earth

SweetDelight

Premium Member

You cant update software for the Developer Mac's is what ive heard.
and I bet you they have a expiray date on the OS around the time when it has to be returned to apple.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by SweetDelight:

You cant update software for the Developer Mac's is what ive heard.
and I bet you they have a expiray date on the OS around the time when it has to be returned to apple.
OS X Public Beta's time out time didn't stop people from using it.. a quick set back of the time and unplug from the internet on startup would fix it.

hyperjoe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Gates Mills, OH

hyperjoe to SweetDelight

Premium Member

to SweetDelight

Just because something shares in some components, doesn't mean that you can run them the same way. I will put my life on it, and apples business, that apple has a hardware solution to keep out those that think they have a right to take what is not theirs.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg

Premium Member

I think it's a fake. I've not seen anyplace where this is in the wild, or seen no posting anyplace where someone can even say they can verify that this story is true.

cailyoung
join:2003-06-30
Australia

cailyoung to SweetDelight

to SweetDelight
I haven't seen it anywhere.

The article is pure conjecture. Good conjecture, but not fact. Not by a long shot.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to SweetDelight

Premium Member

to SweetDelight
Since we are speculating I have a question . If Joe Public can install Tiger and run it on any Intel PC like Windoz- as the article suggests - how and where does Apple ROM and Unix fit in the overall plan?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by linicx:

Since we are speculating I have a question . If Joe Public can install Tiger and run it on any Intel PC like Windoz- as the article suggests - how and where does Apple ROM and Unix fit in the overall plan?
huh?? What does unix have anything to do with running Tiger on Intel? And the "Apple ROM" has been software based for years now.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Unix will run on an Intel box. What is the Tiger platform these days, X86? If it is I might as well buy Windows now and save myself a lot of pain and money.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

huh? Windows has nothing to do with Unix... Tiger isn't a platform, it's an OS and it runs on PPC and x86 (now). Tiger is based on Unix(BSD).. windows is based on... well, windows. I don't see your point.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I didn't really have a point, sorry for the mix up. I wanted to know how this was all going to fit together and you told me. The way I was reading it, anyone could throw Tiger on top of Winders and it would run like it does on a PPC. ACK!!!!!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

No, they would have to replace windows with tiger. Tiger is an OS, Windows is an OS.. i think you may have gotten confused with the VirtualPC for windows part. With VPC for windows, somebody COULD run tiger inside of Windows at full speed just like we run Windows XP on OS X now, only a lot slower

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to SweetDelight

to SweetDelight
Because of the rumor, you're speculating that OS X will be showing up on Dell computers soon? That kind of brazen conjecture will do nothing but draw in trolls and ignite a flame war over nothing, since this is still just exactly that: a rumor.

So far I haven't seen or heard any proof that this build is floating around out there, and it's in some kind of installable form that would be of any use to a generic x86 box.

F walker
Hey Intern, Get Me A Campari
Premium Member
join:2003-04-10
Anchorage, AK

F walker to SweetDelight

Premium Member

to SweetDelight

I don't think any of the back and forth here is worth it. I have been searching high and low, in order to verify this and I have come across zilch. I found a lot of fakes, a lot of "how-to-get"'s etc etc. I've been places since last night where if this were true, I would have found proof. Unless it has not been spread much AT ALL, I doubt this claim has any merit.

We shall have to wait and see.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

I concede to confusion. I can see an Intel Mac with Free BSD architecture rendering faster than PPC, a Mac that is perhaps easier to repair because parts might be easier to find. What I can't see is a Mac emulated on Windows. running as fast as it does on a PPC, and I can't see a Mac PC today or in the near future -- although it is an intriguing idea as the Mac learning curve isn't nearly as steep as it once was.

Epikos
Surpass the Usual or Ordinary
Premium Member
join:2003-07-27
Vancouver, WA

Epikos

Premium Member

Dude, quit drinkin the kool-aid. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The new inteliMacs aren't emulating anything. They wrote OSX (they're operating system) to run on Intel hardware. It runs the same way Windows does. Not on top of windows. OSX will be the ONLY operating system on these new Macs. It's just going to be a G5 case with Intel based hardware inside of it, with a different port of their software on it. Simple as that.

A "Mac" and the "Mac OS (OSx)" are two different things. One refers to the package as a whole (hardware and software) and the other refers to JUST the operating system. I think you're still a little confused about what you're talking about.

-Shapeless
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to SweetDelight

Premium Member

to SweetDelight

what do you want to bet the developer machines have some deeply embedded unique serial number in them. If/when OS X does hit the net, apple will download it and then sue the sh** out of the company that leaked it.
93254336 (banned)
Weapons Of Masturbation
join:2001-10-20

1 recommendation

93254336 (banned) to SweetDelight

to SweetDelight
Whatever the situation is, in a few weeks there are going to be thousands of developers out there with Apple's $999 Transition Package. Regardless of non-disclosure agreements, etc., in place, leaks are going to occur. The exact configuration of the x86 machines will be dicussed on the Net, as will peoples' experiences running the x86 version of Tiger on non-Apple hardware. The x86 version of Tiger will be available for clandestine download, etc., and I bet Apple is going to do nothing about it.

- Dan

jtk7
The Beast And Dragon, Adored
Premium Member
join:2004-04-02
Wheaton, IL

jtk7 to SweetDelight

Premium Member

to SweetDelight
Click for full size
Not Dell, Compaq...

anon mon
@comcast.net

anon mon to hyperjoe

Anon

to hyperjoe

said by hyperjoe:

I will put my life on it, and apples business, that apple has a hardware solution to keep out those that think they have a right to take what is not theirs.
They don't have one now. Tons of people "obtained" OSX so they could run PearPC. Do think that once Apple turns to x86 production, they will start to incorporate some sort of bios level protection?