uniqs

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12

Kanebrake

Premium Member

Me & Counterspy killed my lan connection

I was checking out the different options in CS and came across the My PC checkup under System Tools. I ran this option and let CS harden everything. Didn't notice anything wrong until my wife said she couldn't access our shared folders (oh no). Anyone know how to undo these changes? On the 2 other boxes without CS I have no problems.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

Maybe untick the options that were selected?
looking at the screenshots here
»homeoffice.consumerelect ··· id=32402

Cudni

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member

Kanebrake

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply Cudni ... I wish it was that easy. As far as I can tell once you check a box and hit continue that's IT. It can't be taken back. The options remain greyed out.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni to Kanebrake

MVM

to Kanebrake
from
»www.sunbelt-software.com ··· uide.pdf
"...
Please Note: Settings that are changed by My PC Checkup cannot be undone using CounterSpy. .."

that is not nice so you need something else to remove/reset those settings?

What is the error you see when accessing the shared folder?

Cudni

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member

Kanebrake

Premium Member

Click for full size
Here is the error message I get.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

1 edit

Cudni to Kanebrake

MVM

to Kanebrake
see if this helps
»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;304040

edit: also see
»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;277644

check that in Counterspy the option for file sharing or similar is not monitored by it (in my pc checkup)

Cudni

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member

Kanebrake

Premium Member

I'm going to check the links you sent me. Here is a list that CS says it secures. It's the And many more that has me worried.

Windows Update settings
The Internet Explorer Security Zone settings
Common Internet Explorer settings
Anonymous access restrictions
Windows logon settings
Startup settings for Windows and applications such as shell open commands, win.ini, system.ini, etc.
Windows Messenger Service
Common Host File Hijacks
Control Panel Policies
Restricted Program Policies
Secure Desktop Restrictions
TCP/IP Stack hardening
SYN Flood protection
Internet Explorer URLs
Internet Explorer Prefixes
ActiveX Compatibilities
Internet Explorer restrictions
System policies
And many more

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

A comprehensive list i'm sure

what does that option on pc checkup page "do not protect this item" do?

Cudni
philow9
join:2005-07-06
Clearwater, FL

1 recommendation

philow9 to Kanebrake

to Kanebrake
Kanebrake,

Please Contact Sunbelt Support. You can do this via the email address support(at)sunbelt-software.com or dialing 877-673-1153. Someone there will be happy to help.

Thanks,
Phil Owens
Product Manager
Sunbelt Software

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member

1 edit

Kanebrake

Premium Member

Click for full size
I believe it's a bogus option. Check or uncheck does nothing. And the Detail window next to it remains blank.
I read the 2 links and can't see anything related to the error. I can't get any access to the machines that CS was loaded. I tryed to uninstall CS but whatever changes it made were permanent. I also tryed a system restore and windows said it couldn't. Also one box has XPPro and the other XPHome.
The do not protect this item is greyed out on the options that have been set.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

2 edits

Cudni

MVM

You need to re-enable permissions (outlined in the links) on the shared folders. How are they set now? What accounts have access to them?

edit: and/or contact their tech suppport as offered above; and let us know what the solution is/was

Cudni

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member

Kanebrake

Premium Member

I'm heading to Church right now (Wed. night bible study). Will continue this when I return. Thanks for taking the time Cudni. I will let everyone know what happens. Might have to put these 2 boxes on the prayer list. :D:D

and thanks Phil for the email address and number.
Kanebrake

1 recommendation

Kanebrake

Premium Member

Well Cudni ... I sent an email to Sunbelt support and received an answer from Richard Beliveau-Consumer Support. He sent me a reg file to run which I figured resets My PC Checkup to default setup. I was pleased with the quick response and the thing actually worked. Glad I purchased this program. The problem with the lan doesn't bother me because I figure all new programs have growing pains. Thanks for the time you took to help. I would still recommend this program with a caveat to stay away from the PC Checkup option :):)

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

Thank you for posting back the solution and i'm glad that their tech support, as they should, fixed the issue

It would be good if they would incorporate reset to default settings in that panel

Cudni