ajcnb

Anon

disabling routing on westell 6100, modem

backstory:
verizon dsl
westell 6100 dsl router
model number C90-610015-06

first hookup your westell 6100 dsl router/modem
standard power/phone/cat5 out to your computer nothing in between (like another router or something)
you computer should be set to receive an ip address automatically (dhcp)
your comp will get an address like 192.168.1.47 or something
you can check this by opening a command prompt ( start ---> run ----> command --- press ok)
you'll get a black screen with white letters type: ipconfig (then press enter)
you should get something that looks like this:
(if you don't you may need to reset the westell 6100 dsl router/modem, you can do so by pressing the tiny
button on the back with a pen or something)

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.47
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

open a web browser to »192.168.1.1 (this is the default address of your westell 6100 )

you will get a prompt for username/password:
the defaults are --->
username: admin
password: password

You will get a splash screen asking you to change your username and password.
(This is a good idea since straight out the box they are common knowledge.)

Press the Change button (after you get that all filled out.)

You will then be taken to a connection overview page.

You'll see something like:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connection Overview

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) xxxx KBits/Sec by xxx KBits/Sec

Connection Name Connection Status
Routed Bridge UP (release) (renew)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the (release) button to free up that public ip.

Should reload quickly back to almost the same page, but connection status will be down.

Next from the top menu select: Configuration ----> DHCP Configuration

In this menu change DHCP Server from Private Lan to OFF

Then click the Save button once the page reloads.

Click ok at the save and reconfigure DHCP prompt box.

Next from the top menu select: Configuration ----> VC Configuration

You'll see:

Status VPI VCI Protocol
------------------------------
enable x xx Bridge (edit)
disable x xx Bridge (edit)

bridge broadcast (checked)
bridge multicast (checked)
spanning tree protocol (unchecked)

(save filter settings)

Click the edit button of the only one that is enabled, it was the first one on the list on mine.

You will get a popup configuration window.

You can leave the top section alone, look specifically at the VCx - Bridge Settings

Look for the Mode: on the drop down box change the mode from router bridge to bridge.

Then click set VC

Click OK at the Set this Bridge VC configuration.

Click Ok at the "The modem must be reset in order for the new configuartion to take affect"
"Do you wish to reset now?"

You'll get a splash screen saying "Resetting Modem"

If you wanna make anymore changes in there, now is the time. Otherwise close your browser window.

If you just want you desktop to get the public ip address simply release/renew or disable/enable or network connection in windows.
(If you don't know how to do this, restart your computer and it will do it for you.)

If you do another ipconfig you should now have a public ip address not the gay 192.x.x.x address

If you want to add your own wireless or regular router hook it up and have it grab the public ip address and then pass out it's own dhcp
addresses or whatever floats your boat. The Westell 6100 dsl router is now simply acting as a modem.

Keywords for your google search:
Westell 6100, C90-C90-610015-06, router, turn off, dsl problems, wireless router, Verizon, second, additional, can't get my router to work with.

You are welcome,
A.J. CNB
bgd1973
join:2005-11-23
Bangor, ME

bgd1973

said by ajcnb :

backstory:

Next from the top menu select: Configuration ----> DHCP Configuration

In this menu change DHCP Server from Private Lan to OFF

This was great guide! I found a quirk in the instruction...
Be sure "private lan" ip address on modem and subnet mask are going to go with what you assign your pc on the lan side, else You will not be able to get to modem! (My mistake) as windows resorts to 169.254.*.*, the modem stayed where it was oem'd (192.168.1.1) took a bit of time and tinkering.Also, a tip: you can assign the lan ip's anything you want. modem->router->pc(s):)
athatai
Premium Member
join:2002-03-22
Sterling, VA

athatai

Premium Member

Did Verizon reset the User ID and password? The default values don't work for me.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Storm97
Premium Member
join:2003-04-14
Manteca, CA

1 edit

Storm97

Premium Member

said by athatai:

Did Verizon reset the User ID and password? The default values don't work for me.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks
Try using your verizon username / password...

ajcnb, I had the same problem as previously mentioned... once i changed all settings, it assigned me a 192.168 ip again, then on release/renew it gave me a 169.254 ip... no access to modem page then...

America
@lsanca.dsl-w.verizon

America to ajcnb

Anon

to ajcnb
I got the same thing as storm...i had to reset my modem...no luck in disabling the router...plz help will be appreciated

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

Storm97

Premium Member

Bumping up, as still having the problem...

Anyone know a solution for this? I am trying to setup the modem so that it passes the "real" IP (71.xxx.xxx.xxx) to my router I want to use (just got an XBox for XMas and would love to network it).

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

You should be able to put your router in the closet, and just rely on the 6100.

Alternatively, reconfigure the 6100 as a bridge (unrouted bridge). If your service uses PPPoE, then you will need to set your router to handle the PPPoE.

If your service uses DHCP, then you might need to find the 6100 mac address, and clone that in your router. Otherwise you might be unable to acquire a public address until your 6100 lease expires.

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

Storm97

Premium Member

So, to understand this right... The 6100 gets a 71.xxx ip (found it on the setup page of the modem) but it assigns a 192.168 ip to my PC when directly connected. When I hook up the router, it gives the same IP (192.168.1.47) instead of the "Real" 71.xxxx ip to the router.

How would I be able to use just the 6100 and network the PC and XBox together w.o using a router or another piece of equipment?

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

You might need an ethernet hub or switch for this.

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

Storm97

Premium Member

So, the router I already have is out of the question then?

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

You could still use that.

There is a whole long thread about how to use a router.
»How to use my Linksys wireless router with my 327w

Okay, it's for the 327w. But it mostly should apply to the 6100.

mosesr
join:2002-09-20
Lake Elsinore, CA

mosesr to bgd1973

to bgd1973
Hey bgd1973,

Regarding the "quirk" you found; I think I also didn't do what you suggested and now I can't access the 6100 any more. Could you explain exactly how to avoid this problem? Meaning, explain exactly how and what to input and where.

I guess the only way out of this now is to reset the modem and start over, is that correct?

As a side issue once I completed the instructions above I noticed the LED on the 6100 for the "internet" is no longer lit as it was before I changed modes, is this normal once you get the 6100 in "bridge" mode or did I blow something up?

Anyone, feel free to answer any of the questions I posted; Thanks in advance.

Rod

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

1 edit

Storm97

Premium Member

Same issue, happens exact same way here.... You didn't blow anything up, but that is where I get stuck as well

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to mosesr

Mod

to mosesr
As a side issue once I completed the instructions above I noticed the LED on the 6100 for the "internet" is no longer lit as it was before I changed modes, is this normal once you get the 6100 in "bridge" mode or did I blow something up?
This is normal when operating as an ethernet bridge.

xtrixplex
@tampfl.dsl-w.verizon

xtrixplex to ajcnb

Anon

to ajcnb
I just finally got my modem to work in bridge mode. What I did was set the vc and private lan and everything, then after it reset i did ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew and I have internet access. But I can't access the modem page, and I get no internet light.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Because it is a bridge, it is transporting ethernet frames and does not know whether those contain IP packets. The modem cannot tell that you have internet, so the internet light will never be on.

To access the modem page:
1: connect the computer directly to the modem. That is, no intervening router.
2: manually assign the computer a suitable IP (such as 192.168.1.2
3: browse to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever is the modem address for your version of the modem).

xtrixplex
@tampfl.dsl-w.verizon

xtrixplex

Anon

I did that, and I got to the modem page, but I didn't have any internet access after that. What DNS server should I use? I used 4.2.2.4 and 4.2.2.5

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

When directly connected to the modem (so that you can see the modem configuration page), you will not have internet access on that directly connected computer. That's because the modem doesn't do internet when set as an unrouted bridge.

If modem is a bridge, the normal setup would be to use a router for internet access. Connect directly only when you need to get to the modem config page (or to check modem statistics).

xtrixplex
@tampfl.dsl-w.verizon

xtrixplex to ajcnb

Anon

to ajcnb
Oh I see.

One more question if you don't mind helping me: when I hook up my router to the modem now I get no internet access. I know it's all set up right, I've done it a million times. I tried resetting both the modem and the router to no avail. I tried releasing and renewing, and nothing.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Does your ISP use DHCP or PPPoE to give out IP addresses?

Here is why I ask. If it uses DHCP, then it gives out addresses according to the MAC address of the requestor. When using the 6100 as a router, that was the 6100 MAC address. It is now your router MAC address.

People have reported that to get an IP address in these conditions, they must either
wait until the old DHCP lease expires; or
clone the modem MAC address into the router.
Either of those should work.

If you are using PPPoE, then the above does not apply, and something else must be wrong.

xtrixplex
@tampfl.dsl-w.verizon

xtrixplex to ajcnb

Anon

to ajcnb
Yeah I use DHCP. About waiting for the lease to expire, how will I know when it expires? I remember seeing on the modem setting page it was set at 1 day.

How do I change the router's mac address?

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

If the lease is set to 1 day, you probably have to wait that long.

Your router setup page should have a setting to clone a MAC address. You enter the MAC address of the modem there.

I don't know where you would find the MAC address of the modem. It is the MAC address it uses on the public side, and different from what you see on the LAN side of the modem.

xtrixplex
@tampfl.dsl-w.verizon

xtrixplex

Anon

Ok I set the router up and nothing. So I looked at the LAN connection, and looked at details, where it says the ip and all that, and it said DCHP lease, and it had a start and end date of 1 day, starting from right when I connected. So do I have to connect it and leave it for 24hr? I don't want to do that because it might not work, and I need internet access. Can I shorten the lease time somehow?

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

Storm97 to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
Alrighty all... I finally got this to work... Keep in mind, I am on PPoE, and using a NetGear router so I don't know if this will work for everyone else.

First, I connected only the router to the PC (via one of the four ethernet ports)... this gave my PC a 192.168.1.2 ip. I bypassed the setup wizard by browsing to www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm
I then setup the router as PPoE, lowered the MTU to 1492, and applied all changes.

After that, I direct connected to the modem only (giving my PC the 192.168.1.xx ip). I browsed to 192.168.1.1 and logged in using the verizon username/password. I disabled the Private Lan, turned off DHCP, and set the only active VC to bridge mode. I powered down everything, hooked up modem, to router, to first PC. On power up, the modem's normal lights came on, (minus the internet light), then router booted fine, then PC got the 192.168.1.2 ip it should have. I was able to get into the router setup page no problem (incidentally, 192.168.1.1 is the setup page for my router AND my modem, so I can't setup my modem now unless I direct connect). BUT, I could not browse... Upon searching EVERY page in the router setup, I finally found a button that said "Connect" (go figure). With that, the router got the "real" ip (71.xxx.xxx.xxx) ip, and I am connecting and browsing just fine on BOTH computers now.

Hope this helps anyone who is having the same issue I was. Many thanks go out to »/profi ··· /1070900 and »/profi ··· /1293498 and everyone else who gave input!

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to xtrixplex

Mod

to xtrixplex
The DHCP that matters is the one used by your ISP to allocate an IP to your modem/router. The one on your lan is not relevant. Your modem might have info on the current lease time.

I can't tell for sure if that is your problem. If it is, then the alternative to cloning the MAC is to leave your equipment turned off for a while (24 hours, for example). Wait till you will be out of town for a while. Then reconfigure everything just before you leave, and hope that the old lease has expired by the time you return.

xtrixplex
@tampfl.dsl-w.verizon

xtrixplex to ajcnb

Anon

to ajcnb
Hey I got it to work! Thanks a lot, what I did was change the MAC address. But I couldn't get into the router setting page, so I thought to reset it, and it worked. I'm happy, thanks again

gsuburban
join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

gsuburban to ajcnb

to ajcnb
Regarding the MAC address issues with Verizon when changing modems/routers etc.

Prior to changing modem hardware, Verizon DHCP servers must have the IP assigned back from your modem/computer for their ip tables. Reason is, the DHCP uses your MAC address to assign IP's and if you have not "released" the IP then, the DHCP keeps the IP address for the MAC it had assigned previously.

Best practice is to "release" IP in the connection overview screen for Westell products or if using only a modem do this via command prompt ipconfig /release.

At this time, Verizon DHCP's now know nothing about your previous MAC number etc. Once you are completed with any hardware changes etc., you can now link up with Verizon via DHCP and get an IP address. Without doing this, the DHCP with Verizon thinks your hardware already has an IP thus it won't assign one until the "lease" is to be renewed.

Once you are connected, the command prompt is behind the NAT/router and will not renew your IP, the Westell does this. So, just click on connect as one poster had mentioned he needed to do to hook up.
jreedar
join:2005-04-18
Conway, AR

jreedar to Storm97

to Storm97
Strorm97 thanks for the update on what you did to get yours working. I'm trying to get my uncle's internet set up wirelessly using a Westell modem/router model C90-610014-03 rev. D and a Netgear WRG614 wireless router. This sounds very similar to your setup except his ISP is through Centurytel and not Verizon like yours.
I just had a couple questions to make sure I'm clear on what you did, when you say
quote:
First, I connected only the router to the PC (via one of the four ethernet ports)... this gave my PC a 192.168.1.2 ip.
By doing this did you only connected from one of your router's LAN ports to your PC's network card by ethernet cable and didn't connect anything in the routers WAN port correct? Did you have to do and IPCONFIG /RELEASE and a IPCONFIG /RENEW to get your PC an IP of 192.168.1.2 when you connected the router directly to the PC or was that IP just automatically assigned?

Also when you
quote:
lowered the MTU to 1492
could tell me what screen this is located on your Netgear router setup page?

Sorry for the basic questions but I don't have his computer in front of me since he lives out of town and when I go to do the setup again I wanted to have all the small details and questions I might run into covered.

Thanks for any help!

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

Storm97

Premium Member

Click for full size
MTU Setting
Happy to help!

Initially, (to set up router first) I did connect the PC's network card to one of the four LAN ports with nothing connected to the WAN port of the router... You are correct, release/renew to get an IP from the router at that point.

I am not sure how different the screens are between versions of the WRG614, but I adjusted the MTU on the WAN Setup screen of mine, at the bottom. (See screenshot).

Anything else, let me know.
jreedar
join:2005-04-18
Conway, AR

1 edit

jreedar

Thanks for the information! That's just what I was wondering. Oh we do have the same router, I just transposed the letters my uncles' it's a NetGear WGR614 like yours. I'll be trying all these setting next week and I'm sure it will go smooth with all the details I have now.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.