Search similar:

uniqs

nbcvd
@gaoland.net

nbcvd

Anon

new firmware Linksys for the WRT54G and WRT54GL

hello,
Has somebody test new firmware Linksys for the WRT54G and WRT54GL (update 2007) ?
Desmoe
join:2004-09-15
Derry, NH

Desmoe

I just flashed my WRT54G ver.4 with the new firmware version 4.21.1... so far so good. although its only been about 30 minutes

All went smooth.. there were no surprises,, the only difference I've noticed so far is it no longer says my router is a WRT54GL on the basic setup page.
Travis299
join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC

Travis299 to nbcvd

to nbcvd
I loaded WRT54GL v4.30.9 last night & no problems so far. FWIW
C DM
join:2002-12-31

C DM to nbcvd

to nbcvd
Something seems odd. The previous firmware for the WRT54G was 4.30.5 (even though it made the router appear as a WRT54GL on its own configuration pages--although both routers, through version 4 of WRT54G, are pretty much the same), for quite a while, too. Now it's 4.21.1, with no mention of any 4.30.x versions in the version information file, either. So, either they just had the wrong (WRT54GL) firmware listed for WRT54G for the longest time and decided to go back to the right firmware finally, or there's something that I am missing.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

4 edits

jabarnut

Premium Member

It's interesting you mentioned that.

I picked up a used WRT54G v4 a while back (as if I needed another Router...couldn't resist), and the first thing I did was update the firmware.

I was positive I grabbed the correct Firmware for my v4, which happened to be 4.30.5.

Everything went fine.
A while later, I was playing around and checked the Linksys site again, only to find v4.21.1 dated 1/30/2007, (and the one on the site now).

I was convinced I had accidentally clicked on the wrong link somehow, and downloaded the wrong firmware! (Even though I'm VERY careful when I choose).

Maybe I didn't click on the wrong link after all, and they changed it as you said!
In fact, I just looked at the site again at various model and version numbers, and I'm convinced they changed some Firmware versions around recently...DOWN to v4.21.1

Anyway, to make an already too long story a little longer, I've been running v4.21.1 on my version 4 for maybe a week or more now and it's been fine...no problems at all.
(My actual setup page says "v4.21.1, Nov. 6, 2006" now).

At least maybe I'm not going crazy (Well, of course that's always debatable)
C DM

C DM to nbcvd

to nbcvd
I did come across »www.linksysinfo.org/foru ··· &t=51306 since I posted yesterday--specifically the part there that mentions "This WRT54G firmware now includes all the same fixes previously issued in WRT54GL firmware versions 4.30.2-4.30.5 bringing them into parity."

So, sort of making an educated guess here, it's possible that there were no WRT54G-specific firmware versions released since the last 4.20.x some time ago, however, since WRT54G and WRT54GL are very similar (or I guess basically the same) newer WRT54GL firmware versions were also released for WRT54G, although using the WRT54GL version information, at least just to provide any (security) fixes that those new versions contained.

It's possible that they finally were able to get back to the WRT54G-specific firmware and apply all the fixes and changes that were made in the WRT54GL 4.30.x line and release a new WRT54G-specific version, going back to the 4.2x.x WRT54G version information.

(I wonder if that actually provided a possible explanation, or just created more confusion. )

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Yes...Interesting.
After looking at the link, I see what you mean.

So basically, after being horrified for a moment by flashing with 4.30.5, now that I've gone to the "new" v4.21.1, I've pretty much got the same changes I had with my first flash anyway.

Heheh...I know one thing, until I saw your first post, it certainly created confusion for me.

It actually makes a bit more sense now....and I think your theory is correct.
I must be sure to thank Linksys for letting me think I totally screwed up the first time.
C DM

C DM to nbcvd

to nbcvd
I believe the WRT54GL firmware is at version 4.30.9 at this point, and given that the "new" WRT54G firmware version 4.21.1 was released around the same time, it's probably the WRT54G-specific "equivalent" of that version--so basically it's still most likely an upgrade to go from the WRT54G(L) 4.30.5 that was available for the WRT54G before to the new WRT54G 4.21.1.
Travis299
join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC

Travis299

Dumb questiom BUT would someone please tell me how to tell/determine the difference between the WRT54G & GL. I thought that I had a G but I loaded the v4.30.9 without any problems and the router seems to be functioning A-OK.

Thanks for any/all help.
Travis299

Travis299

Reply from LINKSYS

Subject
WRT54G firmware?

Discussion Thread
Response (Kristine Nieves B. (25012)) 02/05/2007 01:51 AM
Dear Travis,

Thank you for contacting Linksys Technical Support. My name is Kristine and I will be assisting you with your concern.

The firmware of your router is the latest one. It is more updated than what is posted on our website so there would be no need for you to load the one found on the website. It carries the fixes of the v4.21.1 so it is better to stick with your current firmware.

For frequently asked questions, you may visit our knowledgebase at »kb.linksys.com

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Kristine (Badge ID 25012)
Linksys - A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Customer My question 02/03/2007 03:47 PM
My WRT54G version is v4.30.5, Apr. 27, 2006 but the LINKSYS site says that v4.21.1, 1/30/2007 is the latest. What version should I load & thanks for all of your time and consideration?

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12
Universe

Mountaineer1

Premium Member

The WRT54G and GS models, have different version #'s as Linksys made changes to their hardware. It may be a different radio,processor,ethernet,or memory chip they have changed or the motherboard itself.. There is a nice comparison break-down at »www.linksysinfo.org/foru ··· ?t=47124

The version 5,6,and 7 went to a different OS(Vxworks)which is not a Linux based OS,and theses unit have less memory.
C DM

3 edits

C DM to Travis299

to Travis299
said by Travis299:

Reply from LINKSYS

Subject
WRT54G firmware?

Discussion Thread
Response (Kristine Nieves B. (25012)) 02/05/2007 01:51 AM
Dear Travis,

Thank you for contacting Linksys Technical Support. My name is Kristine and I will be assisting you with your concern.

The firmware of your router is the latest one. It is more updated than what is posted on our website so there would be no need for you to load the one found on the website. It carries the fixes of the v4.21.1 so it is better to stick with your current firmware.

For frequently asked questions, you may visit our knowledgebase at »kb.linksys.com

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Kristine (Badge ID 25012)
Linksys - A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Customer My question 02/03/2007 03:47 PM
My WRT54G version is v4.30.5, Apr. 27, 2006 but the LINKSYS site says that v4.21.1, 1/30/2007 is the latest. What version should I load & thanks for all of your time and consideration?
It really sounds like the representative simply looked at the version numbers and blindly said that the greater one (4.30.5) is better simply because it's greater. While in general, and I wold say most of the time, that is the case, in this particular case it might not be that simple--the WRT54GL firmware is at version 4.3x.x while the WRT54G firmware seems to be at version 4.2x.x at this point. If you look at the version information files they both contain similar (if not the same) changes and fixes. It is only because WRT54G (through version 4) is basically the same as version WRT54GL that the 4.3x.x firmware can also work on WRT54GL, and possibly vise versa when it comes to the 4.2x.x firmware. Perhaps following up with this type of explanation in a reply back to Linksys might result in getting different (and perhaps correct) information.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut

Premium Member

said by C DM:

It really sounds like the representative simply looked at the version numbers and blindly said that the greater one (4.30.5) is better simply because it's greater....
Once again I agree C DM See Profile
Every single link I've looked at now shows that the latest version for the WRT54G (through v4) is indeed 4.21.1 (And v 4.30.9 for the GL version).

While it appears to be true (thankfully), that you can 'get away' with using the 4.3 version in a basic WRT54G, I don't think the representative did a whole lot of research when answering that question.

Linksys apparently did create some momentary confusion by changing these firmware updates around recently...even among their service reps it seems.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to nbcvd

Premium Member

to nbcvd
Thanks, I upgraded to 4.30.9 on my WRT54GL V1.1 with no problems.

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca to nbcvd

Premium Member

to nbcvd
Thanks for the info.
I just upgraded by WRT54G v3.1 from firmware 4.30.5 to 4.21.1. Like others have said, I was momentarily terrified that I may have previously flashed my router with the wrong firmware and had been using it for months!
Max2
join:2004-02-26

Max2 to Oregonian

to Oregonian
The WRT54GL v1.1 is not supported on the US site. Linksys Tech email recommended I use the UK site which does support v1.1 and the latest F/W is 4.30.7

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

Loker

Premium Member

said by Max2:

The WRT54GL v1.1 is not supported on the US site. Linksys Tech email recommended I use the UK site which does support v1.1 and the latest F/W is 4.30.7
there is no real difference between the two revisions....just which firmware they shipped with
said by »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wr ··· #WRT54GL :

No known major differences; however, in August 2006, this version was shipping with firmware revision 4.30.7, while the latest available firmware for the 1.0 version is 4.30.9. This pre-loaded firmware allows the user to upload a 4MB firmware image, whereas the pre-loaded firmware on version 1.0 limited the image to 3MB.
so it is in fact supported by linksys on the US site.....
»www.linksys.com/servlet/ ··· 02177241
Max2

Max2

If you go to the UK site the product list includes both WRT54GL v1 and v1.1. The US site product list only lists v1 . It maybe an just oversight that will be corrected in the future, but I find it difficult to accept that Linksys would assign a new version number because they are shipping with different F/W . On the other hand if users are not having any obvious problems upgrading their v1.1 with v1 F/W that is great.

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

1 edit

Loker

Premium Member

said by Max2:

If you go to the UK site the product list includes both WRT54GL v1 and v1.1. The US site product list only lists v1 . It maybe an just oversight that will be corrected in the future, but I find it difficult to accept that Linksys would assign a new version number because they are shipping with different F/W . On the other hand if users are not having any obvious problems upgrading their v1.1 with v1 F/W that is great.

The Linksys US site probably never added it because of the fact its the same hardware just different preloaded firmware.....
I have already done it and know that it does work...

I did it when I was trying to fix a problem and DD-WRT refused to flash to a different version of DD-WRT. So I downloaded the firmware off the linksys site, flashed my router, and then played around in the firmware a little bit before flashing to the version of DD-WRT I wanted.
C DM

C DM to Max2

to Max2
said by Max2:

It's very likely that there are some (very minor) hardware changes, which explain the minor version bump. However, it's very likely, and in fact appears to be the case, that 1.1 uses the same firmware as 1.0. Many router versions share same firmware--for example, WRT54G up through version 4 all share the same firmware, and there were times when a new (minor) version came out and wasn't listed on Linksys's web site for a period of time. So, it seems that whatever is listed as the latest firmware for 1.0 is also the latest firmware for 1.1.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to Max2

Premium Member

to Max2
said by Max2:

Yes, the fact that the US site doesn't list the V1.1 router has bothered me but I figured it was just an oversight on Linksys' part so I went ahead with the upgrade to 4.30.9. It's been running for several days now with no problems that I can see.
drugrep
--
join:2000-08-10
Woodridge, IL

1 edit

drugrep to nbcvd

to nbcvd
Working great here too. WRT54G v4
Max2

Max2 to Oregonian

to Oregonian
I wish everyone success with what ever F/W they choose to use.I did a quick search of many of the Linksys support sites around the world, many have both a native language and an English version . With the exception of Canada which ignores all versions of the WRT54GL, all list the WRT54GL v1 and v1.1 and the F/W for v1.1 is 4.30.7 As stated before the US site only lists the WRT54GL v1. Its easy to speculate on why this condition exists, I don't know ? Linksys apparently doesn't have any booking/update issues with all these other sites.
naptime4
join:2007-02-12

naptime4

Well, this is what I found:

This link at Linksys.com lists all GPL versions of firmware available for their products. Note that they don't distinguish versions for the WRT54GL, but they do for others. The latest firmware for other countries is indeed 4.30.7, but for the US it is 4.30.9, which is also the firmware they pointed me to when I registered my new GL(v1.1).

Of course, use your own best judgement.
gretske
Premium Member
join:2007-02-15
Ballentine, SC

gretske to C DM

Premium Member

to C DM
>>It really sounds like the representative simply looked at the version numbers and blindly said that the greater one (4.30.5) is better simply because it's greater.

Hey. I'm new here, but there is a possibility that the response you got was not a person, but an expert system, programmed to give answers. These systems often miss subtle points. You might try asking the question with very short, direct statements.

Just a guess.

thibor
@shawcable.net

thibor

Anon

»www.thibor.co.uk/ try there this is far better than the stock firmware
C DM

2 edits

C DM

said by thibor :

»www.thibor.co.uk/ try there this is far better than the stock firmware
I am sure that most people visiting this forum know about the other (third party) firmwares that are available, or at least can find out about them very easily on this forum. I don't think there's much need to "plug" another firmware in this thread (a thread that specifically deals with the new official Linksys firmware).