Premium Member

Insight and Comcast Agree to Divide Insight Midwest Partners

»money.excite.com/jsp/nw/ ··· 20070402

Geek

Shack
join:2002-01-17
Bloomington, IN

Shack

We have an official word on who is going to Comcast yet?
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY

rjbasye

It sounds like Kentucky will remain with Insight. Nothing changes for me I guess.
nateshaw
join:2002-10-23
Bloomington, IL

nateshaw to Shack

to Shack
Directly off of Insight's website: »www.insight-com.com/docu ··· 2007.pdf

The articles out on the web seemed to skip over the Peoria and Bloomington/Normal (IL) areas. However, this article actually includes Peoria (and thus Bloomington/Normal as well) in the portion that Comcast gets.

PeoriaHD
@mcleodusa.net

PeoriaHD to compugeek0

Anon

to compugeek0
What does that mean as far as channels go? Are we going to gain or lose any? I would hate to lose any of the HD channels. We don't have that many to begin with and it took forever to get all of the locals in HD here in Peoria.
Lithium783
join:2003-02-03
Tipton, IN

Lithium783

I'm just wondering how much my bill will be going up, and how much internet speed I'll be losing.

Hopefully they will grandfather existing customers into the new network with existing prices and services... but I doubt that will happen.

PeoriaHD
@mcleodusa.net

PeoriaHD to compugeek0

Anon

to compugeek0
I'm also concerned about our internet speeds too. I hope they stay the same, but I think that Comcast will adjust our speeds to whatever their offerings are. Although my speeds at night lately have been awful.
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

4 edits

IGGY9 to compugeek0

Premium Member

to compugeek0
Willner didn't love us enough to try and keep us. I love his lame reply to the questions asked from members of this site. "we don't comment on speculative stories in the press." Then the story that is speculation gets announced as fact. The man may know how to make a lot of money. But I tell you what he has a lot to learn about how to treat a customer. Heck he couldn't even be a man and report the news himself here. This is exactly what I've been trying to point out all along but getting ignored in the process.

Kentucky has always been Insight's baby. Fitting they will mostly be left with just that. Looks like aggravation city will upon many current Insight customers. This change won't be fun I'm sure. Comcast forum here we come. We have now been assimilated by the borg.

And why is it everyone will always take a link from a frontpage news story on this site and post it here? Yet never give a link to the actual frontpage story? Not to mention that the writers of the frontpage news always seem to do the same and ignore the very forums that make this site what it is most days.

»Half Of Insight's Customers Switched To Comcast

And lets not keep the topic in the same thread or give credit to the forum member who first brought this up.

»Comcast taking over part of Insight network?

My quick take on the situation.

»iggyz.com/blog/_archives ··· 453.html

Oh that is right not like I didn't cover this on Friday as well. But heck why give another forum member some credit or little bit of link love. That would be to much like actually being nice.

Why lock the original thread? If anything that thread had more reason to stay unlocked than this one. Is there some reason the past 6 months we have seen lock happy around here?
iamcool2
join:2006-05-12
Carmel, IN

iamcool2

i wonder when we'll be seeing the official switch?
WeKnSmith
join:2001-08-09
Noblesville, IN

WeKnSmith to compugeek0

to compugeek0
Last week we were wondering if this was going to happen. Now that it has, the next question is what will ultimately happen with our pricing.

Comcast offers the triple play for $99. What do you get for the $99?

Is this going to cause some customer churn? I am still in the middle of switching from SBC landline/SBC DSL (6 MB/768)/DirecTV. I'm not so sure I would complete the switch if we are going to have slower internet speeds, etc...

Any thoughts?

(moved question from my original thread {now locked})

dmeyer6
join:2002-08-14
Austin, TX

dmeyer6 to compugeek0

to compugeek0
If Comcast dumps the 10/1 service here in Bloomington (IN) I'm jumping ship to U-Verse as soon as it's available.
Earl46012
join:2002-08-31
Anderson, IN

Earl46012 to compugeek0

to compugeek0
I think this is going to be a sad day. May be time to quit throwing those Direct TV offers away, but the internet will be the big disappointment. Can't get DSL here.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to dmeyer6

to dmeyer6
Yeah a whoping 6/1 on ucrap with only 25mbits max connection for phone tv internet and hd content that is so much better. I think we will stay 10/1 or go higher like 16/1 they are offering in other states...
Lithium783
Tipton, IN

Lithium783

Glimmer,

You really think that Comcast will keep us at 10/1 for the same price we are currently paying?

If so I'll be thrilled... heck, I'll be thrilled if the speed dropped a little as long as the bill doesn't increase.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

since each of there systems from what I tell pay a differnet price it may stay the same. There triple play is 9.95 more than insight. But they offer more content than insight so it will be interesting to see.
Lithium783
Tipton, IN

Lithium783

Where are you seeing Comcast's pricing/content selection?

I went to their website, but when I try to get to pricing it asks for my zipcode and then says that they do not offer service in my area.
WeKnSmith
join:2001-08-09
Noblesville, IN

WeKnSmith

Just spoke with the customer service dept for Comcast Indy (they are in Fort Wayne).

The $99 triple play includes:
- Analog Cable
- 6 MB HSI (they could not say if it is 384 or 768 upload)
- Digital Phone with unlimited long distance

If you upgrade to the $132 triple play you get:
- Digital Cable with 140+ channels including two premiums (for example HBO & Showtime)
- 6 MB HSI (still no word on upload speed)
- Digital Phone with unlimited long distance

HD DVR is an $11.95 add on to the digital cable. Supposedly cable card is free.

No word yet on when/if the Comcast TiVo will be available (see this thread »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· t=682350 )

With either of these packages you can upgrade to 8MB/768K HSI for an additional $10. The 8MB connection is the fastest that they offer in Indy. See this page for info regarding speeds that are offered in various markets - »/faq/7072
TheOnlyOne8
join:2003-04-18

TheOnlyOne8 to Lithium783

to Lithium783
said by Lithium783:

Where are you seeing Comcast's pricing/content selection?
»www.comcast.net/help/faq ··· on118073

Hmm lets see, slower speeds, newsgroup server with 2GB download quota per month per email account, and invisible caps? The future is looking wonderful.

Jackl201
@insightbb.com

Jackl201 to WeKnSmith

Anon

to WeKnSmith
Thats kinda meh. I get digital+HBO+phone+10/1 for 80 bucks now. Their similar plan is 99 bucks for downgrade in service?

Feel sorry for you guys switching over to comcrap. Good luck : (

TBC1
join:2002-05-31
Florence, KY
·Cincinnati Bell
·Charter

1 edit

TBC1 to compugeek0

to compugeek0
I know this may sound selfish, but since I live in N. KY (south of Covington), I am happy that Insight will remain the same here. I do hope that you guys in the affected areas concerned, don't get a negative change in your speeds and service offerings. Perhaps, though wishful thinking, you all may get a better package.

Jackl201
@insightbb.com

Jackl201 to Jackl201

Anon

to Jackl201
Since I'm lolanon And I can't edit I pay 100 bucks, not 80.

80 is just Cable+net, sorry for the confusion.

TBC1
join:2002-05-31
Florence, KY

TBC1 to rjbasye

to rjbasye
I guess you feel better, as I feel a bit of relief myself with knowing that I won't change. Now that the Insight market will shrink, I hope they don't raise prices.
TBC1

TBC1 to Jackl201

to Jackl201
said by Jackl201 :

Since I'm lolanon And I can't edit I pay 100 bucks, not 80.

80 is just Cable+net, sorry for the confusion.
Why not just create an account here for yourself.

Shack
Bloomington, IN

Shack to TBC1

to TBC1
Well poop, I am not thrilled with going to comcast, though who knows Insights future now. Hope they leave my 10/1 alone. I am going to miss the Insight forum, this is a much smaller place than the comcast one.
AJICQ499087
join:2001-12-01
Louisville, KY

AJICQ499087

I figure Insight will just sell the Kentucky, Ohio and southern Indiana markets to get out of the business.
AJICQ499087

1 recommendation

AJICQ499087

I will miss Iggy in this forum as he will be forced over to Comcast.
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

1 edit

Rick5 to compugeek0

Premium Member

to compugeek0
Having recently transitioned over to Comcast from Adelphia myself I'd suspect that what those being switched over may see is this...

Unless your area is competing with FTTH, I'd suspect that your 10/1 speeds will be cut.

Comcasts two primary tiers are
6000/384k and
8000/768k
(for those with cable TV service as well)

They are priced at 42.95 and 52.95 respectively.

Most areas now have powerboost though for the download speeds..and some areas are beginning to see it for the upload as well.
I'm on the 8000/768k tier and often times see up to 15000k~20000k downloads.

UL powerboost enabled areas are seeing 1500~2000k UL's at times I believe.

My area doesn't have that yet though.

All in all, I don't think that anyone should be disappointed with this switch. I do understand that going from Insight to Comcast carries with it a certain amount of unknown as far as what to expect, but overall, I've been pleased with the change.
In my area we are having some primetime speed issues which I think are due to powerboost and the fact that so many of us at once have gone from 4000k service to this. But I suspect in time Comcast will get it worked out.

Obviously, without powerboost, there may be some decline in speeds but for the top comcast tier, it's really not that much. I doubt many would really notice a change from 10/1 to 8000/768k. But, for the times that might happen, there is always the times that powerboost does kick in.
And you do appreciate those 20Mb speeds.

Our transition was basically smooth and seamless...and had no issues to speak of.
Comcast also offers a few perks such as the MCAfee suite of anti virus/firewall at no cost.

All in all..I think those switching over will wind up being happy with the change.
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Netgear R7000
Linksys PAP2

rjbasye to AJICQ499087

to AJICQ499087
said by AJICQ499087:

I figure Insight will just sell the Kentucky, Ohio and southern Indiana markets to get out of the business.
I don't believe Insight will sell it's remaining systems anytime soon. I could see them expanding into other small markets where they could gain subscribers.
indy0365
join:2001-08-25
Franklin, IN

indy0365

Upon completion of the transaction, Comcast will own 100% of the cable systems serving Illinois customers in Rockford/Dixon, Quincy/Macomb, Springfield and Champaign/Urbana, and Indiana customers in Bloomington, Anderson, and Lafayette/Kokomo. As of December 31, 2006, these systems passed 1.2 million homes and included approximately:

-- 684,000 basic video customers

-- 296,000 digital video customers

-- 300,000 high-speed Internet customers

i m guessing depending on what service area your in will decide if you get comcast

for instance green wood , franklin ect are in the bloomington service area so will probably get switched

hmm maybe the pay per view will geta little better in choices

Shack
Bloomington, IN

Shack

Hopefully things will be better for us Indy, but my past experience with Comcast was not the best. Hopefully things have changed. The bad thing in my mind is with Insight I was in one of there better markets, with comcast it is insignificant. Being with the big dawg is not always a good thing.