uniqs
TeMerc6
join:2004-01-22
Phoenix, AZ

TeMerc6 to AVG stuff

to AVG stuff

Re: AVG upgrades popular security suite

said by AVG stuff :

Yes 7,5 licenses works well with version 8 however its recommended to change them for new AVG 8 license.

If surfing is slowed down try uninstall toolbar. Does it help? If it is not try disabling web shield, is it better?
WTF.....another company wanting to offer a toolbar(YaHoo!)?? Is this one opted in by default too??

When are you people going to learn about these things...users don't want 'em.

AVG stuff
@77.knetint.cz

AVG stuff

Anon

To TeMerc>
Well lets admit people who know "something" about computer dont need it. However there are dozens of BFU in the world and they like it. If you would sell some software product and would like to earn some money, would you focus on few ppl who "know something" or to million other ones?

mark5019
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Atlanta, GA

mark5019

Premium Member

hasnt slowe my surfing down at all
TeMerc6
join:2004-01-22
Phoenix, AZ

TeMerc6 to AVG stuff

to AVG stuff
said by AVG stuff :

To TeMerc>
Well lets admit people who know "something" about computer dont need it. However there are dozens of BFU in the world and they like it. If you would sell some software product and would like to earn some money, would you focus on few ppl who "know something" or to million other ones?
Good to see you admit to doing it more for the money than actual value to the user.

Nothing like honesty I suppose.

And, btw, if I was a software developer, I would cater to what my user base would perceive of me, my ethics and my product and go from there.

There is no way you can argue the overall consensus of 'extra toolbars' regardless of who they come from, is something that is called for.

But you also didn't answer my question, nor did anyone else adddress it, is it 'opt in' by default?

Guess I'll go and install it for myself on the test box.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by TeMerc6:

Good to see you admit to doing it more for the money than actual value to the user.
He never said that. You twisted his words. He said it is of value to millions, just not everyone.
said by TeMerc6:

And, btw, if I was a software developer, I would cater to what my user base would perceive of me, my ethics and my product and go from there.
Then stay out of business, because you aren't selling what people want - only what YOU want. And you won't make any money or help anyone doing that.

AVG Stuff
@77.knetint.cz

AVG Stuff to TeMerc6

Anon

to TeMerc6
Yes this option is enabled by default during installation. However someone like you shouldnt just keep clicking on "Next" button to pass the installation, right? One of the installation windows asks you whether you would like to install toolbar or not. Btw I also didnt wrote the AVG is for BFU only, all I wrote was that its easy to these people however if you would like to set something as you wish it is possible.

To mark5019> which browser do you use? Did you install toolbar?

To TK Junk Mail> thx for understanding

Currently there is a lot of work on AVG 8 which have to be done yet. In my opinion we could wait a few builds later until release however I work neither for marketing nor sales department so I know nothing about this "politics"

mark5019
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Atlanta, GA

mark5019

Premium Member

i use ff and ie 7
and turned off the toolbars
MysteryFCM
join:2006-10-01
England

MysteryFCM to AVG Stuff

to AVG Stuff
@AVG Stuff

Someone like Tom shouldn't just keep clicking Next? so these are targeted specifically at Joe Clueless? doesn't really seem fair, especially considering the amount of companies that seem to want to make a bundle of cash at the expense of their customers systems (not to mention time and frustration).

Why isn't this UNticked by default? (ever hear of OPT IN!)

If Joe Clueless or indeed anyone else, wants this rubbish, they'll go to {TOOLBAR_WEBSITE} and download it. After all, the likes of IE, FF etc etc etc, already have search bars built into them. Why would they need yet another useless piece of junk?

Tbh, and this could just be the suspicious bugger in me, but this seems to smack of nothing more than greed on AVGs part (who used to be amongst the few AM companies that I respected and recommended - alas not anymore).

When will you companies learn?

Perhaps a little light reading from a developer that still has his morals is in order?

»billpstudios.blogspot.co ··· our.html
Expand your moderator at work