spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sprinkle Head
join:2001-03-10

Sprinkle Head

Easiest Virus Protection & Firewall Solution

All -

I need to find the easiest Virus Protection & Firewall solution for some family members. They currently have cable modem connection with no protection at all. They are not familiar on how to configure this stuff. What is the simplest solution that you can think of that can be installed and not fussed with again?

Thanks in advance

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g

Premium Member

said by Sprinkle Head:
All -

I need to find the easiest Virus Protection & Firewall solution for some family members. They currently have cable modem connection with no protection at all. They are not familiar on how to configure this stuff. What is the simplest solution that you can think of that can be installed and not fussed with again?

Thanks in advance
For a firewall: ZoneAlarm Free from ZoneLabs.com, but the ZA Pro is a better product, but you have to pay for it. It will pay to check out their site, as they often have special offers on bundled software.

Hutchy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-14
australia430

Hutchy to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
I agree with John2g. Zone Alarm is a good free firewall. Which is easy ti set up and run.

Try AVG for a free Antivirus. AVG is Free.
»www.grisoft.com

The only other AV i can recommend is NAV2003. NAV is not free. »www.symantec.com

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
said by Sprinkle Head:
All -

Thanks in advance
Norton Anti Virus is the preferred choice of most members here. If you can find it NAV 2002 is very good. I have tried NAV 2003 and didn't see any extra merit in it.
Le Boule
join:2001-09-20
Selma, AL

Le Boule to Sprinkle Head

to Sprinkle Head
This thread contains excellent advice for someone trying to "fix" a simple firewall and anti-virus program for computer users as described in your post...been there and done that...Norton 2002 or 2003 Anti-Virus (only - no suites, firewalls, etc.) plus one of the free firewalls would be a good way to go. Once the programs are configured it's an occasional point and click to help them keep the system safe...

BTW, they might be better off to upgrade to WIN XP but that might not be an option.

Good luck...

Ausnetwanderer
join:2000-11-03
Down Under

1 recommendation

Ausnetwanderer to Sprinkle Head

to Sprinkle Head
One of the great things about these products is the number that are available.
The difficulty is the selection of the ones that suit the needs of the user.
To make that selection easier, there are sites you can go to that will help in the decision making and I would suggest a visit to one or two of those as well as the top recommendations given here.
This site is probably one of the best easy to follow guides for what you are after and it is run by a member here. Check out 'Free Tools' as well as the AntiVirus and Firewall pages.

Luthorcrow
join:2002-10-27
San Francisco, CA

Luthorcrow to Sprinkle Head

to Sprinkle Head
Hi Sprinkle Head,

If you want something free ZA or Sygate both make pretty easy to use free firewalls. ZA maybe a little easier if you have never used a FW before.

As for anti-virus, don't let all the postive NAV posts lead you astray, it's not a reflection of how good that product is but rather that most of the folks posting here are in the US and here in the States we are for the most part an one anti-virus country. It's amazing how biased and knee jerk people are about recommending that product. You would think we were all receiving a check in the mail from Symantec.

That said it would be an ok choice, better than a lot but I wouldn't trust Norton to guard my coin purse much less my PC. Why? Because of the company's stance on privacy and cooperation with the FBI »www.techtv.com/cybercrim ··· ,00.html
»www.politechbot.com/p-02851.html

I would recommend NOD32 for a new user (Kasperky KAV 4 is good as well, but it's a bit more complicated to use). It's simple, ease to use, has the best test ratings of any personal AV product, and has a friendly and helpful forum for anyone that needs help. Links:

»www.nod32.com.au/
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· board=35

Here is a good source for info and tests of AV programs. They run tests multipule times a year and have ratings back to 1998 on all the major products out there.

By company
»www.virusbtn.com/vb100/a ··· ucts.xml

By OS
»www.virusbtn.com/vb100/a ··· ests.xml

eastonhockey
your RF is showing
join:2002-10-30

eastonhockey

AVG Antivirus for free.
www.grisoft.com
and zone alarm also free
www.zonelabs.com
efective and cheap, and remember a firewall is as good as the person who is configuring it.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell to Sprinkle Head

to Sprinkle Head
Try looking into Gladiator too. You can download it here. Description:

Gladiator AntiVirus GAV is a professional virusscanner. GAV is designed to detect and identify known:

Viruses, BAT-Viruses, HLLx-Viruses, I-Worms, IRC-Worms, mIRC-Worms, IIS-Worms, Trojans, Trojan-Notifier, Trojan-Dropper, Trojan-Downloaders, Backdoors, Unix Trojans/Backdoors, VBS Viruses/Backdoors, General Office Macro Viruses, Word Macro Viruses, Excel Macro Virures within files, boot-sectors, main-boot-records, partition-tables and memory.

You can use GAV for scanning all your floppy-disks, harddisks, CD-Roms and network-drives.

Note: GAV IS STILL IN THE ALPHA PHASE OF DEVELOPMENT!

GAV works on all Windows Platforms.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59 to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
»www.agnitum.com/products ··· outpost/
Give OutPost a Try......
»www.agnitum.com/forum/in ··· x.php?s=
and they have an awesome forum for support!!
you will be happy

Luthorcrow
San Francisco, CA

Luthorcrow

said by hayc59:
»www.agnitum.com/products ··· outpost/
Give OutPost a Try......
»www.agnitum.com/forum/in ··· x.php?s=
and they have an awesome forum for support!!
you will be happy

Good point, forgot that OutPost had a free version. The Pro version is pretty easy to use and has the best forum for help and advice.
Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow to Hutchy

to Hutchy
said by Hutchy:

»www.grisoft.com

AVG is free for a reason. I wouldn't recommend it. Check out this link at AVB. AVG hasn't passed a test since Feb. of 2000 and then only under DOS. None of the Windows versions have ever passed.
»www.virusbtn.com/vb100/a ··· ?avg.xml

AV software is just one of those things you have to pay for. There are some reasonable FW solutions such as those mentioned or for those wiling to Kerio Personal FW. But AV just is too high maintaince for free to be anything worth installing.
»www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

Ausnetwanderer
Down Under

Ausnetwanderer

said by Luthorcrow:
said by Hutchy:

»www.grisoft.com

AVG is free for a reason. I wouldn't recommend it. Check out this link at AVB. AVG hasn't passed a test since Feb. of 2000 and then only under DOS. None of the Windows versions have ever passed.
»www.virusbtn.com/vb100/a ··· ?avg.xml

The only thing that is missing are the reasons for the (?)failure(?) of AVG and the VB 100 tests. I really don't think it's fair to lay down a judgement without access to the reasons, but then, I am an AVG user and trust it as my AV program.

To just say a program has failed without publishing the facts to back the claim is not all that acceptable IMHO.

Luthorcrow
San Francisco, CA

Luthorcrow

said by Ausnetwanderer:
The only thing that is missing are the reasons for the (?)failure(?) of AVG and the VB 100 tests. I really don't think it's fair to lay down a judgement without access to the reasons, but then, I am an AVG user and trust it as my AV program.

To just say a program has failed without publishing the facts to back the claim is not all that acceptable IMHO.

Well, you are right and you are wrong. I am not quick to judge an app, but let's get to your response. First, they do have a page that explains what a 100% VB means, how they test, and how an app can fail to pass. The link to that page is here:
»www.virusbtn.com/vb100/a ··· dure.xml

This is more to it but the basics are that they only use real wild viruses for their tests, the AV app has to catch all of the tested wild viruses and have no false alarms--hince the 100%. The theory is that a false alarm is as bad as an actual alarm. Each app is given up to three complete tests on two seperate PCs before it is failed. This means AVG has consistently failed 3 tests for each testing. AVG was tested 19 times and passed once. If you look at some of the other vendors, that was by far the worst or at least nearly the worst performance of any apps tested over the years.

Now, yes, on the website that don't detail specifics of each specific test. So why not? Well, because it is a website for a respected magazine for anti-virus experts and the subscription is $395 per/year. Now, you can only expect so much to be given away for free. Compared to most trade e-magaizines there is more content than you would expect, but of course, they have to make money.

That said, I think they have given more than enough specifics for the average consumer. An AV app is a lot like a motorcycle helmet. You really won't know how well it works until you it is too late.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to hear what AVG company reps have to say about these tests? They might actually respond to a registered user...

kingdome740
Right To Life
Premium Member
join:2002-01-10
up yours

kingdome740 to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
Sorry to post in the middle of this [OT] AVG "lovefest" but you may want to look in to using Norton Internet Security. You can configure it automatically and go. Has both the AV and firewall together so you don't need separate programs to keep up with. Sorry but it's not free. All I'll say is that you get what you pay for. Here's a link to NIS 2003:

»www.symantec.com/sabu/ni ··· /nis_pe/

sig6
Premium Member
join:2001-05-05

sig6 to Luthorcrow

Premium Member

to Luthorcrow
Just a note on the VB site and AVG: The only recent snapshot review I recall seeing on the site for AVG based on testing is for November 2001, IIRC. That gives some summary info on the performance for that month's tests. I understand that mag subscribers get more details on the tests.

Also, people frequently refer to AVG as if it's only a free AV. Hence the frequency of comments such as it is "free for a reason." Grisoft also sells AVG Pro, which I think differs only from the free version in that it has additional features. The virus definitions are the same in the free and Pro version. I believe it is the Pro version that is being tested by the VB. So whatever the merits or demerits of the program it's not because it's a free app.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to Luthorcrow

to Luthorcrow
That is why "best" is a BAD word around here.

Sprinkle Head
join:2001-03-10

Sprinkle Head

All -

Thanks for your input. I just want to make it a point that I'm looking for an easy solution for the user. I'm not concerned about cost. If the product I choose is free, that’s great but it’s not a requirement.

Rxdoxx

Middle River, MD

1 recommendation

Rxdoxx to Sprinkle Head

to Sprinkle Head
Read thread, may have missed it in someone's post, or just may be one of those things that don't need to be mentioned.

Any AV is only as good as its updates.
Be sure that it is on automatic for update checking, able to reboot if needed, and scheduled for a time when the computer is on to update and scan.
My connection is cable also, but I crunch/fold 24/7 so I can schedule things to run at 3AM.
Need to consider what their usage pattern is, to set it up so it is the easiest possible and active up to date protection.

Luthorcrow
San Francisco, CA

Luthorcrow to Sprinkle Head

to Sprinkle Head
said by Sprinkle Head:
All -

Thanks for your input. I just want to make it a point that I'm looking for an easy solution for the user. I'm not concerned about cost. If the product I choose is free, that’s great but it’s not a requirement.
Well then I see that you only have two options, if you are looking for really easy to use:

Norton Internet Security - all in one and drop dead easy

ZA and NOD32 - still easy, ZA is simple and straight forward and very informative and NOD32 is ironclad on stock settings so there is very little to adjust
Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow to sig6

to sig6
said by sig6:
Just a note on the VB site and AVG: The only recent snapshot review I recall seeing on the site for AVG based on testing is for November 2001, IIRC.
Actually they have been tested a few more times than that, see below...

sig6
Premium Member
join:2001-05-05

sig6

Premium Member

luthorcrow: Yes, I do indeed know AVG has been tested since Nov 2001. I was referring to what VB online calls a "review" and I call a snapshot summary review since it is so brief and yet still provides more information than the mere tests pass/fail results. The "review," which again is an old one run on an NT system, can be found here:

»www.virusbtn.com/magazin ··· /avg.xml

November 2001
Grisoft AVG v6.0 285
Windows NT
quote:
Summary

ItW Overall - 99.97%
ItW Overall (o/a) - 94.42%
ItW File - 99.97%
Macro - 99.50%
Standard - 96.92%
Polymorphic - 89.91%

AVG certainly wins prizes on the on-access boot mystery front - although claiming to have such a feature, this proved to be untriggered in numerous attempts. On demand this did not prove to be a problem, so the capability is in the product somewhere. It managed to produce a smattering of false positives in the clean test set which, akin to the previous product, scuppered AVG's attempt at gaining a VB100% award. AVG was also notable in this test for missing files in all of the test sets rather than the more limited selection which characterised detection rates over all products. Particularly surprising was the repeated missing of the .HTA sample of JS/Kak.A which has been in the wild for a number of years.
[text was edited by author 2002-12-29 18:01:14]

Ausnetwanderer
Down Under

Ausnetwanderer to Luthorcrow

to Luthorcrow
The VBulletin criteria for testing is commendable and I agree that for a program to pass it should reach the 100% mark. It's the nuts and bolts reasons that would be interesting for all to see and those are available at another testing site called ISCA Labs, a division of TruSecure where AVG does reach the target in it's ability to catch in it's "on demand - on access" tests using the 'Wildlist' + it's own archived list. The reason therefore does not lie with AVG's ability to detect and warn of a virus.

A check of the "Cleaning Certification" information I believe provides the answer because AVG does not appear in the list. It must be that AVG has failed to sucessfully remove one or more of the virus tests. If they (Grisoft) need to work on that part of the program that's their choice and I hope they do.
Maybe it's the need to make an informed decision and the information required comes with a $395-00 pricetag from VBulletin. Fair enough, they have to run a profitable business. Thankfully, TruSecure provides more information on testing and results.

It would be great to hear from a Grisoft rep again. It happened once before when an AVG debate raged on about 2 years ago but he disappeared soon after. 'Asorte', where are you???

BurntCricket... Toooooo true.

CalamityJane
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL

CalamityJane to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
said by Sprinkle Head:
All -

Thanks for your input. I just want to make it a point that I'm looking for an easy solution for the user.
Hi Sprinkle Head ,

I often have to deal with the same problem of finding "easy to use products" for those who are unfamiliar with security software and how to use them. I suggest AVG by Grisoft for an antivirus - it works very well and was able to clean the ones found very capably and has protected all my "recommendees" thus far from further infections. I also use Zone Alarm Free for a firewall as it is also easy for the beginner to understand and to set up (but they will need some guidance). The help files & tutorials are great.

There is some user education involved in using any new software but I have found these two to be the easiest to work with when starting out.

For those who are at risk with trojans, which AVs are not very good at detecting & removing, I also recommend Trojan Remover. It has a fully function 30-day trial (then $25.00 to purchase) and works very well at detecting and removing trojans. It is very easy for the beginner to understand and use, besides being a very good product. I was so impressed, I ended up getting it for myself just for an extra measure of protection. It does require a manual check for updates and since that is so important, I always make sure they know how to do this.

Just my personal findings from someone who has been where you are
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
NOD32 version 2 is just out in public beta. It has done away with the one somewhat confusing part of NOD32 and that is setting up email scanning for programs other than OE. OE is set up automatically using a wizard in the current version, but other email applications have to be set up manually. The new NOD32 does away with POP3 mail scanning and detects at the Winsock level so there is no need to set up anything for email protection. Very nice! And a very sophisticated method of detecting viruses too.

I would suggest that you get NOD32, current version, as it is by far the most simple to set up and to use and to update of all the antivirus applications IMO (except for setting up email for non OE applications). If they have other email applications, you can set it up for them and they won't need to fiddle with it ever. Once NOD32 version 2 goes Gold Master which should be soon as this is a public beta which is one step removed from GM, you will get a free upgrade to the new version. This new version is awesome. It does away with the three buttons in the systray and has an integrated interface all in one which is very easy to use. The help file has been totally redone for the new version and it web based. It is excellent.

I used to have NAV 2001 and I beta tested NAV 2003 and tried NAV 2002 and before that, I had McAfee. NOD32 is MUCH simpler to use than the others. It is not bloated like NAV has become and it doesn't have nearly as much software that can potentially become messed up and need tech support. Tech support for NAV has become a joke which is the main reason I switched to NOD32.

NOD32 is not perfect (some of us are wondering on their official forum why there has been no update for almost two weeks), but it has the best record of all in the Virus Bulletin tests. I suspect Eset will say(when they get back from vacation) that there is no need for an update because the recent viruses protected against by other av updates are weak and NOD32 has one of the strongest heuristics programs so that would pick them up.

Edited to add that you cannot find another av program that updates as easily as NOD32. Set it to look for updates however often as you want and to update automatically and forget it. It almost never needs to reboot afterwards and updates in a few seconds.

I can't advise you on firewalls because I got rid of ZA months ago (caused BSOD's in W98SE constantly) and tried Sygate and it gobbled up resources. I tried Outpost beta but it had too much junk, but I don't know about the GM version. So, I haven't used a firewall in about ten months now and have been just fine on a cable connection.

Quantex$
Premium Member
join:2002-11-01
U.S.A.

Quantex$ to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
Get 'em sygate. It just seems more stable and less resource hogging than zonealarm, who knows?

And get them norton for viruses.

Pro only has the good features if you don't have an ad removing program like ad aware and spybot, and it only does the special stuff controlling cookies with IE. So you can save money downloading mozilla, a simple browser that is not a hard conversion from IE, and has easy cookie handling controls.

And for viruses, hands down, norton.

Oh, almost forgot, here's the link to download sygate

This is not the easiest solution, but it is easy enough and saves you some cash.

Good luck

Cousin Dave
Trendsetter
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Cousin Dave to Sprinkle Head

Premium Member

to Sprinkle Head
Sygate for Firewall,Norton for Anti-Virus.:)

Luthorcrow
San Francisco, CA

Luthorcrow to Ausnetwanderer

to Ausnetwanderer
said by Ausnetwanderer:
The VBulletin criteria for testing is commendable and I agree that for a program to pass it should reach the 100% mark. It's the nuts and bolts reasons that would be interesting for all to see and those are available at another testing site called ISCA Labs, a division of TruSecure where AVG does reach the target in it's ability to catch in it's "on demand - on access" tests using the 'Wildlist' + it's own archived list. The reason therefore does not lie with AVG's ability to detect and warn of a virus.

A check of the "Cleaning Certification" information I believe provides the answer because AVG does not appear in the list...
Ok, not to beat a dead horse, and honestly it is on the last legs. Actually the post before yours from Sig includes a link with a test that has more details and demonstrates that the issue is AVG's ability to detect wild viruses. In addition, I found the description that ICSA gave for the criteria of it's certification to be much less detailed the testing description of VB. Lastly, a review of the certified products include such winners as Panda and PC-cillin, products that have a track record of poor virus detection performance. That said, I don't believe this certification means that all of the listed products are top notch but rather than have met some basic criteria for standards. This would be like the fact that electrical products in the US all have UL ratings. This UL standard does not represent that quality of the product but rather some basic standards, and would be stamped on the CD player that stops working in 3 monthes as well as they one that lasts for years.

As for the Cleaning Certification, I think you are grasping at straws here. If you look at the list most of the prodcuts list on the Scanner list are not on the Cleaning list. I doubt this is because those products could not have gotten the cleaning cerficiation, but more likely that they did not apply or that this is ceritifcation didn't necessary for marketing purposes. Just as several of the other certifications would not apply to non-corporate environments.

I would love to hear a response from a company representative.

Anyway, it sounds like you are happy with what you got, probably will keep you safe at 90-99% of the time, and in the end, safe habits will keep you safe rather than which product you are using. On the other hand if you are doing P2P (can one live without that?), visiting sites you have never been to before on the net (again, can one live without that?), or downloading files then you will probably be gold with pretty much any AV scanner because you will never need it.

Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:
NOD32 version 2 is just out in public beta...I can't advise you on firewalls because I got rid of ZA months ago...So, I haven't used a firewall in about ten months now and have been just fine on a cable connection.

Ya, the new beta rocks if you have XP or Wk2 Sp3 (me) and makes an easy to use product even easier. I honestly have not seen another AV app as simple to use as NOD32 V2.0, that loads as fast, is as easy on the resources, or can scan a 60gig drive in less than 4 minutes. KAV 4.0 took 40 minutes and NAV before that took about 45 minutes.

As for the firewall, I hope you have taken some steps to harden your OS? Otherwise, I would saw you are rolling the dice. I actually had a bad experience with a hack (script kiddies can be dangerous despite what some may say) and ZA Pro. In ended with my PC rebooting and my ZA logs being wiped out but it was still enough to cause me to be more careful.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

>or can scan a 60gig drive in less than 4 minutes.... As for the firewall, I hope you have taken some steps to harden your OS?

That is fast scanning! The beta version is taking 22minutes to scan an 8.5 gig harddrive! The current version takes 8 minutes. I do have more files since scanned with the current version (all my dbx files backed up) so it is not a totally fair comparison, but still the beta version is much slower than the current one. As for hardening my OS, I have no open ports and have file and print sharing disabled and bind to Netbeui. I have tried Sygate and it is a horrible resource hog. Outpost is way to cluttered with irrelevant things. I'm getting irritated at trend of applications these days. I don't want a "one will do everything" application of any type. That is the trend especially with the paid ones.