Search similar:

uniqs
jimpcon
IETSUP
join:2003-01-03
Newtown, PA

jimpcon

I need help too, please!!

Yesterday, I hooked up all gear that was bought at Radio Shack. Everything seemed fine, no problems with hardware!!
I installed the Comcast software and everything went OK till the restart.
I got 2 errors first was vredir.vxd and the second was dfs.vxd in the DOS mode. After pushing "Any key to continue" start up continued and in Windows a an error window popped up telling me that the msnp32.dll file was missing. I hit "OK" and my desktop came up. Everything appeared normal. Then I tried to get the service to come on. NO LUCK!!. I called Comcast, they did all the tests from their end and all was good. The support tech had me try different things in other areas, still no luck. At 1030 last night they said "Call Microsoft" Thats another story in itself. My girlfriend who came up and we replaced the missing file and the computer restarted with no error codes.
Tried to get on to Comcast, nothing again. Finally about 1 AM we quit.
This morning I called Comcast and they put me through to advance support and we went through all the motions, still nothing. They are having a tech come out on Sunday.

Anyways, my question is has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening AFTER installing the Comcast software??
Everything was fine before the software install. I was online with dial up earlier in the day and the box worked with no problems.

IE 6.0
Win 98SE

Any advice before the tech comes?? Thanks!!
Jim

Snoopy2
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL

Snoopy2

Premium Member

That comcast software has been trouble from the very start and you do not need it to operate broadband. There have been a number of threads concerning this very issue and if you run a search for "comcast software" feel sure you will locate many posts. If you can uninstall it, you'll be better off, sorry you didn't ask before you installed.
rody_40
join:2002-04-14
Quakertown, PA

rody_40 to jimpcon

to jimpcon
actually i wonder if this problem is result of the rca software disk that comes with the modem. not the comcast software, did you go in thru the usb of the modem? its been a while since anyone has had any problems with the comcast software. it seems like a problem you would run into using the usb driver associated with win98. the disk in the modem box is not comcast software.
jimpcon
IETSUP
Newtown, PA

jimpcon

Thank you both for replying!!!

Please bear with me, my computer knowledge is not that good. My brother in Cal. suggested this site. I am glad its here.

So.....
I am hooked up using an ethernet cable. The RCA disk was more of a "how to", there was nothing to install.

Snoopy, I DID do an uninstall when I first had the problem, that didnt work and Comcast advised me to reinstall it.
We also uninstalled the drivers and they had me use the Win98SE disk to install them again.

I will search the archives for similar problems.

Jim

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to jimpcon

Premium Member

to jimpcon

Welcome to the BBR Comcast Forum jimpcon!

Assuming you have your modem connected directly to the puter (no router), check the properties of your local area connection, if you haven't already. Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list of items and click properties. Be sure it's set to "Obtain an IP address automatically", and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

What kind of modem do you have? What lights are lit?
cablejoe
join:2002-01-15
Las Vegas, NV

cablejoe to jimpcon

to jimpcon
Oops...never mind.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-03 20:32:12]
jimpcon
IETSUP
Newtown, PA

jimpcon to JTRockville

to JTRockville
Data Ho, I have done everything you suggested with Comcast phone support.

I am connected directly using an RCA modem. The top three lights are lit. Comcast tells me that it has to be a software issue or something in the computer. They tested from their end and all was OK.
Like I said, the problem's on my computer started after I installed Comcast software.

Thanks, Jim

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to jimpcon

MVM

to jimpcon
There's a couple of things to try. The first is to click on start...run and type winipcfg and see what your IP address is. You address should begin with 68. If it isn't, click the button to release the IP address, then click the button to renew the IP address. With a little bit of luck, you'll get an IP with 68. If not, it sounds like something got corrupted with your TCP/IP stack. In that case you may want to reinstall Windows 98 over your existing installation (this way you won't lose anything) to repair your damaged virtual device drivers (VXDs). Your best bet is to upgrade to Windows XP, if your computer can handle it, this way you can leave the world of virtual device drivers (the biggest source of instability in a computer) forever.
jimpcon
IETSUP
Newtown, PA

jimpcon

Thanks!!

I gave the winipcfg numerous tries with Comcast support and that was working fine. I thought about doing a Win98 reinstall just for Ha-Ha's and see what happens. Its worth a shot, I've really got nothing to lose. I will talk with my girlfriend about it when she wakes up. She has the computer know how.
Going to XP is an idea but its not really feasible right now.

I appreciate your time and ideas!!!
Jim

Spector42
Forty-Two
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Owings Mills, MD

Spector42

Premium Member

Before reinstalling Windows, you may want to try and reinstall tcp/ip first. As long as you have the NIC drivers, uninstall the NIC, remove tcp/ip and reboot. Windows should recognize the new hardware and walk you through the install. You may also want to restore your Winsock file.
jimpcon
IETSUP
Newtown, PA

jimpcon

We have done all of that except the winsock file. Why do you think that may help??

Thank you!!
Jim

Spector42
Forty-Two
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Owings Mills, MD

Spector42

Premium Member

The Winsock may have been corrupted at some point. If the modem is online and the NIC is properly installed, this is usually the next thing to check.
cnpc
join:2002-08-22

cnpc to jimpcon

to jimpcon
Hey Bro,

You're getting lots of great info!

I'm sure you did the search for "Comcast Software" Within one of the hits, you will find this link,

»www.bitzenbytes.com/101/ ··· cast.htm

Looks like good info for you. Also, at that link, be sure to click on the link to "CompuClues Forums". At CompuClues Forum, you will find another Comcast Forum.

Good Luck!

Call me once you are up and running.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-04 12:28:16]

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to jimpcon

Premium Member

to jimpcon
said by jimpcon:
I gave the winipcfg numerous tries with Comcast support and that was working fine.
So your puter has a 68.X IP? That's good.

Can you ping a site? Open a DOS (command) window. At the "C:" prompt type:

ping www.dslreports.com

If you can ping a site, you should see something like this:
Pinging dslreports.com [209.123.109.175] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=232
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=232
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=232
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=232

Ping statistics for 209.123.109.175:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 69ms, Average = 54ms
If you can't, you'll get something like this:
Ping request could not find host www.dslreports.com. Please check the name and try again.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to jimpcon

Premium Member

to jimpcon
ok it sounds like the comcast software tried to update your IE6 with IE5.5

it's a bug in the installer (2.0) that nobody will admit to but we in the field have to deal with almost daily.

basically to fix:

remove all networking devices and protocols

boot into safe mode, goto control panel add remove programs and go to the windows setup section

uncheck dial up networking to remove the remnants of tcp/ip

reboot and go back into safe mode

run regedit do a search for and remove all instances of winsock and winsock2

(optional) reboot back into safemode and re-check dialup networking

reboot into regular mode and allow windows to detect your network device(s) - when prompted have it reload any existing drivers off the original disks - including windows networking

that's about the only thing that will bring Windows 98 back from a botched IE6 update that basically trashes the entire TCP stack.

oh those steps will also undo the damage that piece of sh*t NEWDOTNET software does that Kazaa shoves down one's throat who is ignorant enough not to use Kazaa LITE

jimpcon
IETSUP
Newtown, PA

jimpcon

Commtech wrote:
"ok it sounds like the comcast software tried to update your IE6 with IE5.5
==========================================================
Holy Sh*t, now that I think about it, YES, that did happen. There were actually 4 things it wanted to install, IE5, plus shockwave, real, and another I cant recall.
I did not check ANY boxes but the darn software still went and put on the IE5 and the others because another screen that told me IE was successfully installed along with the other BS.
Thanks Commtech!! I will let you know how I make out.

Jim

PS. Thanks Data Ho too, for your last reply. I really appreciate everyones help!!
jimpcon

jimpcon to beerbum

to beerbum
One more thing Commtech. Why dont the people down In New Castle, Del. know this?? I spent HOURS on the phone with them. At least 4 hours total with one hour with "Advanced Support".

Jim

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

jimpcon, there are a whole lot of things you can find out better, faster, and more completely in this forum, than by calling in. Do Comcast a favor:
•Print out commtech's response.
•Have it ready, along with a pair of cold six packs, to hand to the tech who visits tomorrow.
•Ask the tech to pass it on to the folks you spoke to! (the fix, not the beer)

If your gf is willing, the tech would surely appreciate it if she presented him with the cold brew while dressed in a thong!

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

said by JTRockville:
If your gf is willing, the tech would surely appreciate it if she presented him with the cold brew while dressed in a thong!

just make sure this happens after you head out to the local mall for a shopping trip some of us don't like an audience unless it is another thong clad female
rody_40
Quakertown, PA

rody_40 to jimpcon

to jimpcon
the path to yout winsock and winsock2 is start,run,regedit, then hkey_local_machine ,system, services, then delete winsock and winsock2. its important to go into window setup and remove communications also. if you dont remove everything windows tends to put the corrupt file back in. dont forget to remove it in the device manager and network neighborhood also. netsetter is another program good at corrupting the winsock files. but when its a program the computer usually boots up fine with no errors
rody_40

rody_40 to jimpcon

to jimpcon
commtech i believe you mentioned the other night about the ie5.5. im curious are you using the 2.0 disk. i wonder why my disk doesnt do it. also jimpcon what disk do you have. them 1.8 disks were nightmares waiting to happen. my disk is one of the original 2.0 and gives me no problems at all.
rody_40

rody_40 to jimpcon

to jimpcon
i guess me and cable joe have the same disks. i remember him saying he has no problems either.

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

said by rody_40:
i guess me and cable joe have the same disks. i remember him saying he has no problems either.
probably the same 2.0 discs you guys have.. when this first started cropping up I didn't believe it myself either until I saw it happen in front of my eyes.

and it won't happen all the time - it's not easily duplicated.

so far the only two things in common are Windows 98 and IE 6 - unsure of the IE sub-version. it will not happen on ME, W2K or XP. and yes ALL of the four upgrade / install check boxes were unchecked but it still proceeded to install the IE 5.5

I'm thinking it could be some other program or registry entry may be fooling the installer into thinking it needs to do the update. Unfortunately I'm back on the road full time so I no longer have time to dig deeper.

maybe when I'm not lazy I'll try to blow up my mom's win98 box with it.. lord knows she's good for trashing her computer at least once per month *women!*

Robot Army
join:2002-08-27
Catonsville, MD

Robot Army

I hope I didn't get to the party too late here... Do NOT reinstall Windows for a simple TCP/IP fix! Get your Win98 disk. Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and double-click on "Network". Remove EVERYTHING listed under the configuration tab, except dial-up adapter (all clients, protocols, adapters and services, if any). Reboot. Plug-n-Pray *will* find and reload your nic or usb interface; if the wizard asks you to insert your Win98 disk, do it- if it can't find the Win98 files it needs to copy, specify to copy files from (cd):\win98 (the location of the OS .cab files on the CD). Keep newer versions of the files if there are version conflicts. Reboot one more time, then check winipcfg to see if you've got a "68" IP addr.; if not, triple-check the eth cable connection from modem to computer, reset modem, then reboot comp. Please don't reinstall Win98 over itself before at least doing this......
Robot Army

Robot Army

If you do the above, get a "68" IP and still can't browse, go to start->run->type "Command". At a command prompt, type "ping www.yahoo.com". If you get replies, something may be wrong with IE or something might be interfering w/ IE (old spyware). If you get an "unknown host" message, something's seriously wrong; go to My computer->program files and look for a "new.net" folder; run every uninstaller in the folder, there may be more than one version; reboot after running all uninstallers there. If you still can't browse, go to Start->find->files or folders named "nscheck" in your entire hard drive. If you find one, go to start->run->
type "c:\windows\system\nscheck.exe" /uninstall (including quotes), then reboot; this will unregister the "Marketscore" spyware (nscheck.exe is its executable). **In any case, if you still have problems, download "AdAware" onto a floppy (on another computer) »www.lavasoftusa.com then take it to your comp that can't browse, run it and remove everything it finds; there may be some spyware proxy that's interfering with name resolution.

If all this fails and you're going to reinstall Win98, do a clean install (fdisk/format), rather than reinstall over what's already there.

Yours truly,
RA
rody_40
Quakertown, PA

rody_40 to jimpcon

to jimpcon
if its a internet explorer thing couldnt he try restoring the previous version or is that out. as i never had much luck with that anyway. might be worth a try tho.
jimpcon
IETSUP
Newtown, PA

jimpcon to beerbum

to beerbum
Data Ho and Commtech, we shall see what we can do about the brew and the thong. LOL!!

After talking with my Bro and GF, we decided to let the tech fix the problem with my box. We could have done it following your directions(I still appreciate it)but hey, it was their software that screwed it up, let them worry about it.
If the tech couldnt come for a while, I might have done it but since its this afternoon, I figured no biggie on waiting.

I will post the outcome later today.

Thank you ALL again for your help!!!

Jim
jimpcon

jimpcon to rody_40

to rody_40
Rody, I have the 2.0 disk and it was one of the questions that support asked me about.

Jim
jimpcon

jimpcon to Robot Army

to Robot Army
I do get a 68 IP number in the IP config box. Comcast says they checked my set up and all was good from their end. Good signal etc etc.
We tried the yahoo thing too

I do have AdAware from Lavasoft installed on my box and I do a scan at least once a week, sometimes more!!

Thank you!!
Jim

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to rody_40

Premium Member

to rody_40
said by rody_40:
if its a internet explorer thing couldnt he try restoring the previous version or is that out. as i never had much luck with that anyway. might be worth a try tho.
good luck.. one of the main problems caused by the IE 6 "upgrade" to 5.5 is the inability for ANY TCP communications. The "repair" and even the regular installers require files to be downloaded from MS.

when even using PING causes a bluescreen, downloading anything is impossible - thank Bill Gates for making IE 100% integrated into the OS despite the lie that it isn't. you trash IE you basically are trashing the TCP stack :-/

like I said, removing all networking including dial-up networking, along with a safe boot to remove all mention of winsock/winsock2 in the registry is about the only way to force a complete refresh of the original TCP stack. it shouldn't take more than a half hour - 15 minutes if you are good and have a decently fast box, and does NOT lose ANY data like favourites, bookmarks, e-mail and the like.