All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Dave A
@demon.co.uk

Dave A

Anon

[Info] D-link DSL504T - useless for long usernames

Just recieved a new DLink DSL-504T broadband router, UK version. Doesnt really exist on the dlink website at this time. Latest firmware ends in xxx40226 which is factory installed. Note that the username field is short and I am unable to use this with my Demon internet account as the host name is quite long. The limit appears to be 34 characters. After about 18 million hours on hold to D-link and browsing their frankly appalling website (UK version I think is a result of sticking the Japanese through babelfish and then just randomly moving stuff about) I was told that there is no fix.

Very poor guys. In fact, downright amateur.

dave a
@195.188.x.x

dave a

Anon

Update, dlink have confirmed this is a problem. No ETA on a firmware to fix it.

Brian Blackmore
@83.104.x.x

Brian Blackmore

Anon

Re: [Info] D-link DSL504T - useless for long usern

There is a workaround.

If you do a configuration backup the configuration is stored as an XML file, you can then edit this configuration (which incidently stores all your passwords etc in plain text) to increase the length of the username field, and then do a restore configuration. This gives you a username longer than permitted on the web interface, however if you re-edit the connection at any time you will have to reapply the workaround.

Chris Donne
@pol.co.uk

Chris Donne

Anon

I to bought a DSL504T about two weeks ago and found the same problem, Freeserve couldn't shorten my username so I am migrating to Plus, [takes 4 weeks]. D Link knew of the problem but as was said above didn't know when they would have a fix available. Result was it has sat on the shelf for two weeks. Had a look on Google tonight to see if any more info and found Brian Blackmore's workaround... Ten minutes and all up and running now.
Many thanks to Brian.